Notifications
Clear all

Rodina

Page 4 / 7

Pinback
(@pinback)
99 Star General Site Moderator

Modding resource http://elliptic-games.com/?page_id=491 with the player ship example in Blender format also a blender exporter scrip and a link to the wiki.

May have too have a look myself although it's been a couple of years since I last used Blender.

New vid.

ReplyQuote
Cruisin1500
(@cruisin1500)
Master Chief Registered

we can put custom ships in the game?

ReplyQuote
Raptormeat
(@raptormeat)
Petty Officer Registered

we can put custom ships in the game?

Sure can! Though mod support needs some work- it can be kinda tough to share mods right now. But it's possible!

ReplyQuote
Hot4Darmat
(@hot4darmat)
Petty Officer Registered

I think I'm ready to come back to Rodina and give it another chance. I spent hours clearing one of the planets of all enemies and finally did it. I got every frigging red circle eliminated, but because its hard to tell from the atmosphere, even criss crossing the whole place very high up, I went into orbit to get a little distance and have a better view, so I touched the limnal drive very very briefly to be able to get a better view of the whole planet. As soon as I stopped and turned around to get a look at the planet, it was frigging FULL of red circles again...as if I had never been there. I had just spent HOURS clearing it out and in one instant lost all of that work just going out to have a look see from a little further out for one sec. I haven't touched this game since I was so frustrated.

Raptormeat, if you want to know what to work on next, before adding any new features, figure out how to fix THAT little beauty of a glitch. I'm not frustrated anymore but with so many great new spacey games hitting from all sides now, it doesn't take much to pull the fans off the Rodina track.I still have to say I loved the look sounds and feel of this game. It completely absorbed me for days, and I will go back for more.

ReplyQuote
Raptormeat
(@raptormeat)
Petty Officer Registered

Lol but what about your sweet teeeaarrrrs?!

Just kidding, sorry about that. I'll get that fixed 🙂 So sorry about the frustration- it sounds like you and Rodina needed some space after that, haha.

ReplyQuote
Hot4Darmat
(@hot4darmat)
Petty Officer Registered

lol, yes we got through that rough patch and are even closer than ever now.

ReplyQuote
Cruisin1500
(@cruisin1500)
Master Chief Registered

who is raptormeat

ReplyQuote
Raptormeat
(@raptormeat)
Petty Officer Registered

I'm the Rodina developer! 😀 I think I'll change my sig to that effect actually.

ReplyQuote
Cruisin1500
(@cruisin1500)
Master Chief Registered

Oh nice to make your acquaintance. Raptormeat...why not Brenden or Anthony :)...

Just seems a far depart from

So Rodina looks like my kind of game. Here's me: sandbox...space ship. Internal view. Planet walk around. Ship combat (capital preferred, not dog fight things...just not deep enough), simulation elements, you know fire in the engine room from a nasty hit through the shield, run to engine room out it, or a crewman Ai does. That kind of real feel. Like think Universal Combat (Battlecruiser 3000ad) with all those bells and whistles mentioned. AI to interact with factions and stuff like X3 would be a big bonus...but that describes my dream game, (what I said above).

Games can't really hold my attention now. Last game I played for more than one week was eve online (played it for years) I think the social aspect of the game and the intensity of what is at stake really drew me to it. For anyone who can stand it, they stick with eve almost forever. Or for a very long time, but it is still not the average gamers cup of tea.

I am hoping SC might be that kind of game. Pulsar, maybe Limit theory but I don't see LT holding me either as it only deals with one aspect (space).  ATM Rodina is the genesis of the game I'll want to play, but I know for sure there can't be enough to do to keep someone like me playing. You have any idea on a timeline for adding emergent gameplay (nuts and bolts?)?

I am after all a future customer. In the end I'll probably buy it, if not play it because games like yours need to be supported for the legions of people who have never experienced such a good space game.

Oh before I forget have you given any thought to more freedom of what the player wants to fly? Like a cruiser or something? Will there be any factions or will there be somewhere you can buy ships from or something? A market or is all that planned and I am jumping the gun. I know as a seasoned developer you have some sort of road map (other than the user votes).

Edit number 2:

Ok tried the demo. Some thoughts. I couldn't play the full hour because even though the frame rate is seemingly smooth, it 'snaps' around? Hard to explain, you know if you 'snap' something to alignment? That's what it is doing when I look around or fly around.

-Ship seems really big on the inside but looks small on the outside, can get lost.

-Didn't notice any way to navigate by a map inside the ship. Really no clue where one is going.

-Didn't notice a radar for navigating nearby in space.

-Nice music

I opened my airlock while in space and space dived to the planet, cool 🙂

Didn't die tho! My ship just sat up there without me. Oh well!

My specs:

Core i3

1 gig ati radeon 6850

4 rig ram

windows 7 64 bit

🙂

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)

Bit of info foe any one making Youtube videos http://elliptic-games.com/?p=500

Firs things first, because some people have asked for it, here’s a little legal notice for anyone making videos for Youtube:

Secondly, some folks have let me know that the game starts crashing when they record video. If you are experiencing this, could you try the following steps and let me know if they help?

Elliptic Games explicitly grants permission to anyone to make recordings of Rodina, and to monetize any videos of the game they produce..

• The problem may be a conflict with recording and the music streaming. In the options menu, way at the bottom, there’s an option that says “[debug] disable music”. Please turn this on, restart the game, and let me know if that helps!
  •  
  • Just as a test / idea, could you try saving your video to a different hard drive than the one you have Rodina installed to?
  •  
  • Finally, I have created a test build which may help this issue, though I’m not certain it will. Download, drop it in your Rodina folder, and try that!
  •  

If you are having that issue, and try any/all of these potential fixes, please let me know which ones work and which ones don’t! This will help me clear this problem up once and for all. Thank you so much!

I agree it's is a bit Tardis like on the inside of the ship although it looks more like a fighter on the outside.

The outside needs to be more like.

star-wars-a-new-hope-millenium-falcon-90

Any news on your patch updater you were doing Raptormeat?.

ReplyQuote
Cruisin1500
(@cruisin1500)
Master Chief Registered

lol good one...:)

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)

I opened my airlock while in space and space dived to the planet, cool 🙂

Didn't die tho! My ship just sat up there without me. Oh well!

You know their a gameplay idea in that, put the ship in orbit and and don a a dropsuit (Starship Troopers) maybe with a fuel gauge so you have some control over where you land use too much and you would have to find more on the planet. Could also be used as a jump jet on the surface to get around quicker.

Suit could be in the airlock or have it own compartment.

st101_dropsuit_02_zpsd8c5ebc1.jpg

Drop_zps9242e8a9.jpg

ReplyQuote
Raptormeat
(@raptormeat)
Petty Officer Registered

Any news on your patch updater you were doing Raptormeat?.

Yeah! Still working on that. Probably not going to be in the next build. I'm going to have some more rudimentary downloading features (like "News" feature or something) as a kind of intermediary. I'll probably work on it right after I get 1.1.0 out 🙂

ReplyQuote
Cruisin1500
(@cruisin1500)
Master Chief Registered

Please make sure that the space suit has a radar and can find back the space ship, since it's off drifting. Or maybe you can control it remotely. Fly to me!

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)

update on work going on for the new version.

Oh my! It’s been so long since I gave people a real update. Here’s the quick intro! Progress on Rodina 1.1.0, the first major update to the game, is going well, although I was hoping to have it released by now. The delay is due to standard reasons like feature creep (which I will outline below), along with some personal events which have been a distraction. Unfortunately, due to some changes and running around in my day-to-day life, I haven’t gotten much work done over the past 2 1/2 weeks.

Nevertheless, progress continues. I’m hoping you guys will be really pleased with what the next update contains, although there won’t be as much new content as I would like, as I’ve decided to also spend quite a bit of time on bugfixes and improvements. Here’s what to expect:

• Ship Fires

You guys know about this already, but this will be the main new gameplay addition. When your ship is damaged heavily and takes a hit, it will occasionally start a fire somewhere in your ships interior. You have to get to a fire extinguisher and kill the fire before it consumes the whole ship, including you!

• Improved Ship Crashing

This feature isn’t finished yet, but I’m hoping to improve the way the game handles NPC ships crashing on the planet surface. Right now it can cause weird behavior, and huge slowdowns. In the future, they will be handled a bit more intentionally.

• Improved Mouse Handling

I added some features which make mouse control MUCH smoother. It might be hard to notice the difference, but it’s there. Also, I fixed a bevy of mouse-related bugs which should clear up many of the problems various people have reported with sluggish controls, etc.

• Improved Streaming

As per my last post about Youtube streaming, I’ve added some fixes which will hopefully make the video creation process a bit easier. Fewer crashes and a smoother experience (I hope!!!)

• Improved Atmospheric Reentry

In addition to fixing some bugs with atmospheric entry which improve the experience, I’m also toying with the idea of adding an option to adjust the “push” of the atmosphere, and initializing the default to a setting which will make it quite a bit easier. Feedback welcome on this point 🙂

• Improved Savegame Management

I’ve added backups to the savegame system, in case you overwrite something or a save gets corrupted. Also, the loading menu now sorts savegames by date rather than name. Finally, I’m hoping to add an Autosave feature.

• Editor Undo/Redo

A very useful new feature which will hopefully give people some confidence to create new ship interiors.

• New Game Modes

I’m splitting “Exploration” mode into two separate modes- a “Freeform” mode which allows full freedom of exploration with no story elements, and a “Peaceful” mode which is similar to Freeform, but with no enemy ships.

• Improved Actor Management

The game requires better functions for updating actors, and for spreading out updates over time, and for ensuring that actors are being handled correctly. This is all interior stuff you won’t see, but the hope is that I can improve performance and remove some cases where the game might start to stutter over time.

• Pre-work on an auto-updater

I don’t have time to complete the auto-updater for this release, but I do want to prepare the road for it. So I may have some features which are related to downloading files / checking for updates on the server. Nothing major, but it’ll be a good intermediary step towards making sure you guys don’t need to download full Rodina installers anymore.

And of course, there are a bunch of bugs that will be fixed in the new update as well, including this one, this one, and this one.

I hope to have this update out within a few more weeks.

Finally- be aware that this update will be the first update that constitutes a NEW GAME VERSION. So if you’ve bought the game at the Appetizer tier, that means that you won’t be able to run the new game outside of demo mode! To upgrade, all you need to do is donate some more money once the new version comes out (as little as $2) to refresh your membership. Of course, everyone who purchased at the Buffet level or above will be able to play this and all future updates!

I hope you guys are as excited about these changes as I am! I’m sorry there won’t be as much meat in this update as I’d like, but I’m eager to get the game on even more solid footing, at which point it’s back into lots more new features and content!

Discuss this update on Reddit!

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)

It's been a bit quiet on the Rodina front but according to the Twitter feed a new version is inbound, in the meantime I see their have been a couple of more mods made for the game.

One of the awesome planet Express ship  😎  http://www.nexusmods.com/rodina/mods/5/?

And one for colored tiles for the interior of the ship http://www.nexusmods.com/rodina/mods/6/?

ReplyQuote
Slickvic
(@slickvic)
Crewman Registered

It's been a bit quiet on the Rodina front but according to the Twitter feed a new version is inbound...

Yes Please!

Puss_in_boots1.jpg

ReplyQuote
Incognito
(@incognito)
Petty Officer Registered

RodinaSetup.exe requests unlimited access to your computer.

Errr ... am I being paranoid in thinking that message from my firewall sounds abit .... worrying? Probably a false positive, but still.

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)

Can't recall seeing anything about it although I do get a unverified digital signature warning every time I start the computer up about Rodina.

ReplyQuote
Raptormeat
(@raptormeat)
Petty Officer Registered

RodinaSetup.exe requests unlimited access to your computer.

Errr ... am I being paranoid in thinking that message from my firewall sounds abit .... worrying? Probably a false positive, but still.

Hey Dude, sorry to worry you 🙂 I use Advanced Installer to package the game up, and it's possible that I boned that up somehow. I'll look into it. Anyway I promise that it's not trying to do anything nefarious- just install the game and the prerequisites (DirectX, etc)

Can't recall seeing anything about it although I do get a unverified digital signature warning every time I start the computer up about Rodina.

Does that happen for only Rodina? That's obnoxious. I don't really intend to get a certificate for the game code, but I'd love to fix whatever is causing that error. Surely that's a side effect of the way the game is installed or something? You must have tons of unsigned EXEs on your machine 😛

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)

Yup only happens for Rodina.

ReplyQuote
Cruisin1500
(@cruisin1500)
Master Chief Registered

oi, any updates? Like a progress report or something.

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)

Look like a new version on the way. http://elliptic-games.com/?p=544

After long last, I’m excited to tell you guys that Rodina 1.1.0 is in Beta! That means that all the features are done- there’s nothing else on the list, and things are working really well.

I’m going to take a few days to test this baby up but I’ll release it to you folks as soon as it’s ready! Won’t be long now 🙂

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)

It's out

I’m so pleased to announce that Rodina 1.1.0 is available for download and purchase! You can also get this version in ZIP form.

This update’s main feature is Ship Fires!

Rodina-1-1-0-Fire1-300x187.jpg

Ship fires occur infrequently when your ship takes damage in combat or after a collision. Fires spread fast so when one starts, quickly get your ship to a safe place, grab a fire extinguisher, and start extinguishing!

Note well: Using fire extinguishers leaves an area temporarily immune to fire. Use this to your advantage- often the better strategy is to box a fire in to prevent it from spreading before fighting it directly. You’ll have to be quick, otherwise your ship will end up destroyed!

Rodina-1-1-0-Fire2-300x187.jpg

1.1.0 is also a major engine update, with too many engine upgrades to list. Users who have had problems with high-performance mice will see their problems resolved. Actor management is greatly improved and optimized. The game now autosaves at important moments. The editor has undo/redo buttons.

There are also many tiny new engine features and bugfixes. The save/load menu now lists files by date. You can no longer punch through an atmosphere by using the Limnal Drive. A new section on the main menu will alert you when a new version is available. The bugfixes are legion.

Thanks to those of you who have stuck with me for so long waiting for this update! I’ll be putting out a video later this week with a bit of an explanation for what took so long and what I’m going to do in the future to improve the process. Now I know how George R. R. Martin feels 😛

ReplyQuote
 Anonymous

ooo! Thanks for the update!

ReplyQuote
Page 4 / 7