Notifications
Clear all

Updated jump space graphics

Jabberwocky
(@jabberwocky)
Master Chief Registered
Topic starter  

Here's what traveling in jump space will look like.

[vimeo]14562660[/vimeo]

DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Supreme Dark Emperor Admin

Nice effects all the way around Jabberwocky! I liked the touch of that electricity/plasma bolts arcing inside the wormhole.

I noticed that you avoided them during the navigation through the wormhole, is there any side effect to running into them? And like in Freelancer will people be able to disrupt your travel via a missile or some other means?

ReplyQuote
Jabberwocky
(@jabberwocky)
Master Chief Registered
Topic starter  

Thanks.

Colliding with the bolts is just straight-up damage to your ship. Hit enough of them and ka-BOOM! 👿

Once someone is in jump space, you can't stop them. That's why I added the count-down sequence, so you can't just immediately jump away if you get in trouble during a fight, and neither can your target.

I do collide with the bolts a couple times in the video, at time 0:16 and 0:22. You can hear a loud sizzle noise, the camera jerks, and your shield meter goes down. But actually there should be a more visible effect on the ship itself, which is probably why you didn't notice - so thanks for mentioning it. I'll add something in.

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)

Jabberwocky wrote:
Colliding with the bolts is just straight-up damage to your ship. Hit enough of them and ka-BOOM!

Oh that's an excellent touch and keeps ya on your toes.

Jabberwocky wrote:
I do collide with the bolts a couple times in the video, at time 0:16 and 0:22. You can hear a loud sizzle noise, the camera jerks, and your shield meter goes down.

I was at work and couldn't hear the sound effects and did see the shield bar move until you mentioned it. But I did see a faint shield impact at 0:16 so I think your covered I couldn't see that detail until I watched it on my home pc.

Jabberwocky, in what situations can you use your jump drive? Is it only going to clear destinations like planets, gates and stations or can you blindly pick a spot in space and go there?

ReplyQuote
Jabberwocky
(@jabberwocky)
Master Chief Registered
Topic starter  
Darkone wrote:

Jabberwocky, in what situations can you use your jump drive? Is it only going to clear destinations like planets, gates and stations or can you blindly pick a spot in space and go there?

It's pretty simple - there's no typing in coordinates or anything.

You have a scanner panel which lists everything in the current solar system, like planets, space stations, ships, and wormhole entrances. You can select any target from that list and jump to it.

Alternatively, you can just tab-select a target, and hit "j" for jump (or whatever other key/button you've mapped the jump action to).

ReplyQuote
CaptainKal
(@captainkal)
Lieutenant Registered

Quote:
Jabberwocky wrote:Colliding with the bolts is just straight-up damage to your ship. Hit enough of them and ka-BOOM!

Oh that's an excellent touch and keeps ya on your toes.

I remember Paul Neurath's "Space Rogue", had a similar feature. You had to fly inside a wormhole, and if you took enough damage you could not jumb, to the next system. (OK, now you know that I am an OLD gamer 😀 😀 )

ReplyQuote
Jabberwocky
(@jabberwocky)
Master Chief Registered
Topic starter  

I guess they still wear leather jackets in space... if you're badass enough.

Space_rogue_cover.jpg

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)

So the important question now Jabberwocky is how much customization will we have with our avatars, will the leather jacket make it into the final release? 🙂

ReplyQuote
Jabberwocky
(@jabberwocky)
Master Chief Registered
Topic starter  

I'm not sure about the leather jacket, but I'll definitely look into adding "space scarf" accessories. 😉

For the Space Rogue cover, I think a pink scarf would have complimented the gas giant planet in the background a little better.

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)
99 Star General Site Moderator

Is just me or does the tracking camera appear to be slightly out of sync with the ship. Or is just the compression of the vid.

ReplyQuote
Jabberwocky
(@jabberwocky)
Master Chief Registered
Topic starter  

Hi Pinback,

Hmm, the compression shouldn't be making a difference.

The camera tracking is intentionally a bit loose and floaty. I think this works pretty well in regular (non-jump) space. But you may be right that it needs some tweaking (tighter, more responsive) for inside jump space.

Thanks for pointing that out.

ReplyQuote
Jabberwocky
(@jabberwocky)
Master Chief Registered
Topic starter  

Hey PINBACK,

I just wanted to say good eye on the camera tracking, and thanks for pointing it out. I got a chance to go back and rework it, and I think it's much better.

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)

Hey Jabberwocky

In your estimation is Salvation Prophecy getting close to beta phase? Because in all the in-game videos and screenshots the game looks like it has quite a bit of the fine details and looks fluid in its gameplay. Just squashing that small camera bug (ahem, that I didn't even notice) is just great, shows the team is really trying to make a quality game. Thanks Jabberwocky.

ReplyQuote
Germanunkol
(@germanunkol)
Crewman Registered

Loving the effect!

Especially the acceleration and the tunnel itself look great.

I'm not 100% convinced by the fading in and out of the tunnel... dunno. Maybe make the tunnel move faster and faster while it's fading out? Or make the deceleration effect (the moving star-particles) kick in earlier?

When you hit one of the bolts, as you mentioned, a visual effect would definitely add to it.

ReplyQuote
Jabberwocky
(@jabberwocky)
Master Chief Registered
Topic starter  

Thanks Germanunkol,

Those are some good ideas! I'll try to do something with the fade-out along those lines.

ReplyQuote
Jabberwocky
(@jabberwocky)
Master Chief Registered
Topic starter  
Darkone wrote:
In your estimation is Salvation Prophecy getting close to beta phase?

It's getting close to alpha phase, which means we'll be testing internally, but not all the content is in the game yet.

We're getting closer to release, but I think I'll hold off mentioning a release date, since us developers are notorious for screwing those up. 😉

ReplyQuote