Star Wars Collectio...

Notifications
Clear all

Star Wars Collection on Blu-Ray in 2011

DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Supreme Dark Emperor Admin
Topic starter  

Finally we have a time frame on when to expect the Star Wars series of movies on Blu-Ray:

Original Article: http://starwars.com/themovies/saga/mebd ... index.html

Quote:

The Star Wars saga will at long last be released in a high-definition home video format as all six movies come to Blu-Ray in a Box Set in Fall 2011, as announced by George Lucas this morning at Celebration V. At the fan convention's Main Event, thousands of Star Wars fans braved the muggy heat of an Orlando morning to queue for a one-time only stage session between George Lucas and The Daily Show's Jon Stewart. Stewart asked Lucas questions submitted from the fan community, and one of the most frequently asked questions submitted online prior to the Main Event was about the saga's release on Blu-Ray.

"I wish I could say it was coming out this year," said Lucas, "but it will come out next year."

The set will feature all six live-action Star Wars feature films, with the highest picture and audio quality, along with extensive special features.

Star Wars fans were treated to a glimpse of bonus material, in the form of a long-lost deleted scene from Return of the Jedi. The scene has long been talked about online -- a sequence that depicts Luke Skywalker assembling his new, green-bladed lightsaber prior to infiltrating Jabba the Hutt's palace. After completing the Jedi weapon, Luke stashes it in R2-D2's dome. What makes the Jedi deleted clip so remarkable is that it made it all the way to postproduction before it was cut, so it is a rare example of a cut scene with completed visual effects and music.

Actor Mark Hamill came out to describe the scene, remarking that once again his original introduction in a Star Wars film was cut out (his Anchorhead introduction was, of course, cut from A New Hope). Luke's intro is purposely played as ominous, with his face cowled in shadows and his intentions unclear."I had the black cloak, the glove, and I thought, wow, this time around I get to be the antagonist. Little did I know I was predicting the path of the prequels," said Hamill, noting the similarities to Luke in this scene and Anakin Skywalker's appearance.

Keep checking StarWars.com for more updates from Celebration V as the weekend continues.

I have to admit I haven't bought a Star Wars movie since VHS, since I like my original movies. And didn't buy any of the latest three. But I will finally give George some of my money next year when this collection comes out.... now the guessing begins to see how much $$$ it will set us back to own the six movies. My first guess is $150. I would hope less since George has made us wait this long already and that there will be no original versions of 4-6 on the Blu-Ray's 🙁

I am interested in some of the extras and possible extended cuts of all the movies. This will be one to add to the collection.

Pinback
(@pinback)
99 Star General Site Moderator

I got StarWars and Empire on VHS assuming they still work as well all six films on DVD so don’t think I will buying then again.

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Supreme Dark Emperor Admin
Topic starter  

I know I see them enough on TV nowadays but I have never had the whole collection and I look at it like you Pinback. This will be my final purchase of SW movies unless there is a new movie. DVD has been around about 20yrs so if BR can be around the same amount of time i will be happy.

Wonder if they will have digital copy of all movies on the discs? That would be great to be able to put these on your mobile devices or setup for streaming in your systems.

I personally will be buying this for the extras so hopefully there is a huge amount and Lucas does do like other movie companys do and put the extras on DVD. I want an entire BR collection.. or I will wait until they sell them all individually.

ReplyQuote