Star Wars Saga to b...

Notifications
Clear all

Star Wars Saga to be made in 3D

DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Supreme Dark Emperor Admin
Topic starter  

Well George is at it again. I thought milking the SW community was going to happen a bit more when the Blu-ray of entire series hit next year. But this takes the cake, how much money are you going to milk from your loyal fans? Why don't you use all the money its going to take to make these and make episode 7,8 and 9 and put them in 3D instead. I'm sure the fans would like you to finish off they story than keep enhancing existing material, most true fans don't even care for all this and want only the original films.

I may be bitter about this but I have given Mr Lucas quite a bit of my money over the years and it would be great to see the Star Wars vision completed before Mr Lucas cannot direct or produce any more.

Just my .02

Article: http://www.starwars.com/movies/saga/ann ... index.html

Quote:

Lucasfilm Ltd. announced today that the live-action Star Wars Saga will be converted to 3D! There are few movies that lend themselves more perfectly to 3D; from the Death Star trench run to the Tatooine Podrace, the Star Wars Saga has always delivered an entertainment experience that is completely immersive. Presented by Twentieth Century Fox and Lucasfilm Ltd., the cutting edge conversion will take that immersion to the next thrilling level, with Industrial Light & Magic supervising the project. Star Wars: Episode I The Phantom Menace is expected to be released theatrically in 2012. A release date has not yet been determined.

"Getting good results on a stereo conversion is a matter of taking the time and getting it right," said John Knoll, Visual Effects Supervisor for Industrial Light & Magic. "It takes a critical and artistic eye along with an incredible attention to detail to be successful. It is not something that you can rush if you want to expect good results. For Star Wars we will take our time, applying everything we know both aesthetically and technically to bring audiences a fantastic new Star Wars experience."

IronHound
(@ironhound)
Warrant Officer Registered

WhatisthisIdonteven

lolwut?

What is starwars IV without Mark Hammil? or Harrison Ford? No way. The actors MADE those charactors. I couldn't honestly watch such a movie without blatantly ridiculing the 3d animations.

Now... if they added new stuff, I could see them trying to justify it.

Will be interesting.

ReplyQuote
Stardreamer
(@stardreamer)

Ironhound, I think you've got the wrong end of the stick. What Lucas is proposing is to take the films he's already got and convert them to the same kind of 3D effect used in films like Avatar, the ones you use the glasses for that makes stuff pop out the screen at you.

While a 3D CGI remake of the films could work, in theory, (and that's practically how the prequels WERE made), I doubt the Lucas Estate will propose such a thing until after Lucas himself Joins the Force*.

I'm not in the least bit interested in watching the prequels at the cinema again - they're horrible films by any standard and I've already paid for them on DVD (for completeness' sake). But I am admittedly curious to see what a 3D makeover could do for the originals. Hopefully the visual technicians working on that process will be of a slightly higher calibre than the monkeys that made the Special editions or gave us Transformers that can't be distinguished from each other during their melee battle scenes.

- - - - - -

*Voted 'Euphemism of the Day' three days in a row!

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Supreme Dark Emperor Admin
Topic starter  

Some people will think this is awesome, but I have absolutely no interest at all in seeing any previous SW movie in 3D. They are classics and leave them alone already. Too many movies are jumping on this 3D bandwagon and its actually frustrating. When 3D can be viewed without classes at all will be all for it but until then no 3D for me...

Everyone thinks that just because Avatar made 2bil in the theaters that all 3D movies will make money, its not true at all. I thought this article was interesting: http://blog.boxofficespy.com/2010/09/fu ... ce-3d.html

For instance Avatar is soon to be re-released in theaters to show off only 8-9mins on new footage. Why bother the Blu-ray comes out in November and it will have another 16+ mins to the original movie. The SW movies will start being released in 2012 and every year after. So basically by the end of 2016 we might have all the six movies re-released in 3D? Hell they could make Episode 7,8 and 9 in that amount of time.

Here I go ranting again 👿 ... I just need to stop looking at this post I made 🙂

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)
99 Star General Site Moderator

If it’s the same 3d that was used in Avatar then I would be keen to see Starwars and Empire, not bothered about the other films. Cant say I’ am too bothered about any continuation of the films after the mess that was 1,2,3.Much better if they were to do the much talked about on/off tv series set in the starwars universe.

Lucas is making another Starwars film, a sequel to Clone Wars the kids CGI thing from a couple of years ago he also going to appear in it as the blue alien he played in 3.

ReplyQuote
Solace
(@solace)
Senior Chief Registered

Anyone remember when George didn't want to release the Star Wars movies on DVD? I supported him then.

ReplyQuote
Stardreamer
(@stardreamer)

Quote:
Hell they could make Episode 7,8 and 9 in that amount of time.

Lucas has stated these aren't going to happen. He's down on the whole process of movie-making in general, and has no interest in making any more Star Wars films. And after the prequels, I think we've all dodged a very large bullet. Star Wars is different now - The Clone Wars series is the Star Wars Lucas always wanted to make. All people our generation have left is the Original trilogy and every PC game released until 1994.

You've got more chance of seeing Elite IV at this point. 🙁

ReplyQuote
s2odan
(@s2odan)
Captain Registered

So they want to convert it?

I cant see that being any good. Cgi, fine you can convert that, its all stored on computer, its not too hard to 'create' another camera for the 3d depth effect.

But on real actors, they will look like cutout models. You cant exaclty go back in time and add another camera to the mix eh....

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)
99 Star General Site Moderator

The Phantom Menace has a release date of February 10, 2012.

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=74918

ReplyQuote
ChillPenguin
(@chillpenguin)
Petty Officer Registered

Wow, that's less than a year from now.

ReplyQuote
cultist
(@cultist)
Master Chief Registered

Its the fault of the society we live in, people like 3D and they will give Lucas money for it.

Good for him, speculating on human nature made him rich and will continue to do so (look at the adidas star wars collection..what the hell is that).

My 0.02$:

If i were Lucas i would listen to the community and remove all the messed up things from the series, like the stormtrooper effect or the lack of Luke's empathy when he sees his uncle and aunt killed etc and to change the movie from the comedy it is to a more serious and believable one.Set the story straight, cash in, and then work on the next parts.

As for the 3D part, never gonna buy it.

ReplyQuote