Star Wars: The Forc...

Notifications
Clear all

Star Wars: The Force Awakens (Official Trailer)

DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Supreme Dark Emperor Admin
Topic starter  

Cannot wait to see this and JJ Abrams has done a good job with this trailer to really build up the movie and I sure hope it makes up for Episode 1-3.

Pinback
(@pinback)
99 Star General Site Moderator

😎 😎 😎 😎 😎

ReplyQuote
ExpandingMan
(@expandingman)
Warrant Officer Registered

I can't say I found that very impressive, it seemed a little on the cheesy side.  That said, usually movie trailers are unbelievably terrible, so no real judgement.  

I hope they don't try to make the whole movie deadly serious, that's a recipe for shit.

ReplyQuote
NevilClavain
(@krakoukass)

I'm not going to fight to see it the 16th December, too many hype around this, means too many peoples in the theater  😡 I leave my place to the excited crowd, I rather plan to quietly see this around January 2016.

ReplyQuote
Gunbladelad
(@gunbladelad)
Master Chief Registered

I'm guessing that the film could go either way at this point.  I just hope that Abrams goes much easier on the lens flare this time round.  For most of the Star Trek reboots he did you couldn't see anything but lens flares, lol.

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)

Chinese trailer up with some new bits in it.

See Abrams is still cashing ships in his films and one interesting tipbit  doing the rounds on the internet is that the Empire has returned to the moon of Endor and has slaughter all the Ewoks, God I hope it true.

ReplyQuote
Gunbladelad
(@gunbladelad)
Master Chief Registered

Here's hoping they brought armour that could withstand twigs and polystyrene boulders, lol.

While things are guarded as hell just now, I'm guessing Luke Skywalker will be the main antagonist in the new movie.  After all, Mark Hamill is in the credits and Luke's face is obscured on the movie poster.  It would also kind of tie things off with how Return of the Jedi ended.  Remember that Luke got really cheesed off during his fight and only backed off from the final blow when the Emperor goaded him at the wrong moment.  Clearly he was swayed to the dark side there - and Yoda did say that once someone starts on the path to the dark side, there's no return.

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)

Pretty awesome if Luke has gone to the dark side.

Also read that Disney is planning two stand alone films, one following a young Han Solo, might not be so bad if they start where he get the falcon from Lando and finishes on tatooine with Luke and Ben walking into the Cantina.

And the other one may be about Boba Fett and I think Robot Chicken points the way with that one.

ReplyQuote
ExpandingMan
(@expandingman)

I'm still traumatized by the prequels, so I actually feel a little nervous as the new one approaches.  I definitely plan on waiting a week or so to go see it.

Also, in my personal opinion, Luke going to the dark-side would be the most predictable, cliched Hollywood bullshit ever to get forced down the public's throat.  If they want to keep the whole light-side/dark-side thing as a major theme, they are going to have to walk back the whole "dark-side is unfathomably, psychotically sadistic and brutal" thing a few dozen light-years.  It worked ok for the fun, short movies that the originals were, but it's just too stupid an idea to sustain any more movies; they were lucky it worked for more than one.  (I guess I can get on board with Luke turning if they re-think the dark-side altogether.)

We'll see.  I'm a much bigger Star Trek fan than Star Wars fan and my impression of the JJ Star Trek's was positive overall (even though there were a bunch of things I didn't like about the Re-Wrath of Khan, all the tributes to the original not being among them).  At least I don't think there's any way the new Star Wars can possibly be worse than the prequels, or so I keep telling myself.

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)

I would not say it was predictable, cliched to have a main stream hero go bad although it is Hollywood bullshit to have a villain become good, Darth Vader and the terminator spring to mind. Anyhow it's very unlikely Abrams would do it and on the subject of fanboy speculation theirs a couple of more crackers, 1 Han is killed off and 2 Vader returns as his own clone.

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Topic starter  

I will probably watch it after Christmas (and reading what you guys think of course)... but I am excited to see Luke personally and if I only get 10mins it better be a good 10mins. I would LOVE for him to go to the darkside because I think he would do an amazing job.... it may not be the same but he has done a great job voice acting the Joker in the batman games so getting into character may not be that much of a stretch for him.

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Topic starter  

Ok.... no spoilers.

How was it?

ReplyQuote
Gunbladelad
(@gunbladelad)
Master Chief Registered

I've been to see it - and all I'll say is that there's only a holographic representation of the new movies' Sith lord character - so whether that representation is real or not is still up for interpretation - so my theory about Luke being an antagonist is still open after watching the film.

If you're in two minds about seeing it, then I can confirm that it's worth a watch - but fans of the originals will probably like the final third of the movie the best.

Spoiler alert though - There's no sign at all of a certain Jar Jar Binks - so prequel-haters may enjoy that much of it.

ReplyQuote
ExpandingMan
(@expandingman)

I've seen it, and I will confirm, it's definitely enjoyable and worth watching.

On the other hand, it's probably not a good idea to get your expectations too high.  I feel like they went WAY too far trying to imitate Episode IV: this one had basically the same plot, and they frequently tried very, very hard to reproduce scenes from Episodes IV and V (there were even some embarrassingly out-of-place lines to that effect).  If you are a Star Wars fan, you will probably be able to guess everything that's going to happen after the first 10 minutes of the film.  Most surprisingly, even though it was quite a pretty movie, it wasn't nearly as visually impressive as I was expecting.  There isn't a particularly good battle scene, and there is quite a pittance of spaceships: the new star destroyer (class name, anyone?), the YT-1300 (the most famous one of course), some slightly modified X-Wings and some slightly modified TIE Fighters.  I appreciate them keeping some of the classic fighters, but I would have liked more to look at.  The dialogue was usually ok, but certainly not on par with the original trilogy, there was pretty much only one quotable line in the whole movie.  On the bright side, the two protagonists felt like genuinely new characters, and were very well cast in my opinion.  I thought Finn was particularly likable, if a bit bland.

So yes: worth seeing; can't really imagine anybody hating it; but far from fantastic. 

ReplyQuote
CrossDressiNate
(@crossdressinate)
Senior Chief Registered

*SOME SPOILERS*

While the movie wasn't terrible.... I'll admit I died a bit inside. Like Star Trek, I grew up on Star Wars, so of course the EU that was built by LucasArts games, DarkHorse comics, Timothy Zahn, other talented authors and unfortunately a lot of shit is just as much Star Wars as the movies are. I felt this movie took a lot from the EU, but painted A New Hope skin on it and tried to sell Episode 7 like a reboot, instead of the sequel it was really supposed to be. I didn't hate the movie, hell i saw it twice in two days, but I felt like it was sold mostly on nostalgia, instead of substance. Basically everything in the movie was taken from EU, though I'm pretty sure what the "twists" are supposed to be, but the way it was packaged just seemed cheap and not thought through. The best part of the movie was Finn, but even his character turned into a joke. Finn started out as this young stormtrooper who was disgusted with what he saw in his first battle and ended up turning. He was also the only character that had CHARACTER DEVELOPMENT, while Rey was this Mary Sue character who could do everything because "woman= empowerment." She had no flaws, she could do everything without training and it honestly just bored me, as well as annoyed the hell out of me. By halfway through the movie, Finn had turned into comedy relief and will probably be the love of Rey by the end of the next movie. I also hated how 99% of the ideas came from the EU, but were just rewritten cheaply as a ANH look alike. I'll be writing a rant in its own thread aboot the new movie and the new canon.

ReplyQuote