Notifications
Clear all

Syfy announces : The Expanse.

Page 1 / 2

shadmar
(@shadmar)
Warrant Officer Registered
Topic starter  

If you can believe it, Syfy may be getting back to its pre-name change roots. A notable addition to its plans for the next year is a new TV series based on a popular series of sci-fi books known asThe Expanse. The first book Leviathan Wakes snagged nominations in 2012 for the Hugo Award for Best Novel and Locus Award for Best Science Fiction Novel. Set 200 years in the future, it focuses on a ship captain and detective searching for a missing young woman, with a sprawling story and scope that have netted comparisons to both Star Wars and Game of Thrones. We'd be more than pleasantly surprised if it reached anywhere near those heights, but Syfy president Dave Howe is claiming this is the network's "most ambitious series to date."

http://www.engadget.com/2014/04/12/syfy-the-expanse/

CaptainKal
(@captainkal)
Lieutenant Registered

Levathian Wakes, was a real page-turner !!!!

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Supreme Dark Emperor Admin

This is looking pretty good, here is the Syfy trailer:

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)
99 Star General Site Moderator

That video says not "available in your country" but I think this is the same trailer.

Looks good well the CGI does, sets look a bit on the cardboard side so hopefully the story will make up for any shortcomings.

ReplyQuote
CrossDressiNate
(@crossdressinate)
Senior Chief Registered

If this show turns out to be any good, expect syfy to cancel it after a season or two.

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)

They have some decent actors in their too (Thomas Jane - The Punisher) so will be interesting to see how the story is, from the trailer the story seems to be good. Syfy needs a good show because they messed up Blood & Chrome and never got released.

ReplyQuote
CaptainKal
(@captainkal)
Lieutenant Registered

from the trailer the story seems to be good.

Read the book, trust me!!!

ReplyQuote
CrossDressiNate
(@crossdressinate)
Senior Chief Registered

They messed up Caprica too. Is it just 1 book, or is it a whole series?

ReplyQuote
CaptainKal
(@captainkal)
Lieutenant Registered

They messed up Caprica too. Is it just 1 book, or is it a whole series?

It is a sereis of four books, and I 've read the first one!!

ReplyQuote
shadmar
(@shadmar)
Topic starter  

Release date and a new trailer:

Syfy announced today that The Expanse will premiere with a 2-night event on December 14 and 15 (10/9c) — a Monday and Tuesday. After that, the space-based character drama settles into its regular time slot on Tuesday nights at 10 p.m. on the coasts.

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)

Now that trailer I think sealed it for me, I will be watching this in Dec.

ReplyQuote
CaptainKal
(@captainkal)
Lieutenant Registered

Now that trailer I think sealed it for me, I will be watching this in Dec.

You 'll have to read the books!!!

ReplyQuote
Cruisin1500
(@cruisin1500)
Master Chief Registered

Ok, I never heard about this. I am a star trek/star wars fan. Traditional scifi, and while i like movies like Event Horizon and Pandorum (pretty much anything scifi) I never really bothered to read other sicifi works, but it seems a lot of good books have been published and more authors are getting some notice with self publishing and www, instead of having only the choice of what publishers think we want to read.

So when I saw the first episode of The Expanse, I was hooked. I went and bought all the books. I am on book three now. The show in its first episode has done an awesome job of drawing from its book. A very true to form adaption. As some times, too often things get lost from the book to the screen.

At the very least we have 10 episodes to watch, which is the first book. Can't wait to see it on the screen.

If you are like me and think you only like star trek/star wars, give other scifi a shot, they are way better to the thinking mind!

ReplyQuote
ExpandingMan
(@expandingman)

Yeah, so far I've seen the first episode, and I thought it was fine.  Sure, it wasn't great, but it was the pilot, definitely don't see any reasons not to continue watching.  (On a related note, I'm growing very suspicious of metacritic.  I mean, why does Fargo have a 96?  Sure, I like it, but 96?  Come on.)

A word of warning: I've read only the first novel (which overall I liked, in spite of the fact that it had zombies and cops, although it was sort of a film noire type thing so it gets a pass on the latter aspect), but the ending, in my opinion, was BAD.  I definitely would not be upset if they departed significantly from that ending in the series.

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)

I will watch these episodes this weekend I missed them. But they look great and I haven't read the books but I have heard good things about the books and if the first couple episodes are good I might pick them up.

You can watch the videos here: http://www.syfy.com/episodes

ReplyQuote
shadmar
(@shadmar)
Topic starter  

Watched 3 episodes, and looking good for the moment, intriguing and well worth the watch imo.

ReplyQuote
shadmar
(@shadmar)
Topic starter  

Season 2 trailer

ReplyQuote
ExpandingMan
(@expandingman)

I initially thought that the first season was pretty bad, but it improved significantly toward the end.

There may be some hope for this, but in my opinion the ending of the first book was... just awful, so they have that hurdle to overcome.

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)

Best scifi series since BGS and Babylon 5, I still got the 3rd series to watch and do hope they make some more as read somwhere that it had been dropped.

Any one else notice the similarity to the game Terminus.

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)

I have yet to watch this show it was on Netflix, but think it got removed since Amazon picked up the rights to the show. It will have a season 4 and you have to be Amazon Prime member to watch their shows. I guess in the end Prime is cheaper than Netflix, but Amazon definitely lacks the library of shows and movies compared to Netflix.

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)

I picked the fist season up cheap on bluray from Amazon about three months ago I was so impressed by the series I bought the second more expensive series on DVD. And I have just seen that the third series is out on bluray next month.

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)

Turns out series 3 was not available until near the end of this year. Anyhow good new series 4 has been announced.

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)

Not just a 4th season a fifth too 🙂

http://www.darkhorizons.com/the-expanse-gets-a-fifth-season-renewal/

I never did get to see any of thise tv series so I hope it leaves amazon someday.... I am not going to pay for prime just to was this.

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)

Nice 🙂 I always tend to buy it when hit DVD.

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)

Yeah right now you can only buy digital downloads of the episodes, no hard copy of this series just yet....

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2