The Star Wars Colle...

Notifications
Clear all

The Star Wars Collection on Blu-Ray

DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Supreme Dark Emperor Admin
Topic starter  

Well the Star Wars collection is finally coming to Blu-Ray and looks to have over 30+ hrs of extras. I haven't owned any copy of Star Wars movies for many years now and I will more than likely get this one. Yeah there has been talk of a 3D version Lucas is working on but I think that is going to far. It would have been nice since BR can hold so much that George Lucas could have given you both orig and special edition versions on each disc but that doesn't seem to be so. Only the SE movies are in this collection.

Doing a quick search on Amazon you can buy the collections fo a nice price:

Star Wars: The Complete Saga (Episodes I-VI) [Blu-ray] - $89.99

Star Wars: The Prequel Trilogy (Episodes I - III) [Blu-ray] - $44.99

Star Wars: The Original Trilogy (Episodes IV - VI) [Blu-ray] - $44.99

Here's the full press release:

Quote:

THE FORCE IS STRONG WITH THIS ONE

THE MOST ANTICIPATED BLU-RAY RELEASE IN THE GALAXY

IS NOW AVAILABLE FOR WORLDWIDE PRE-ORDER STARTING TODAY

LAS VEGAS (Jan. 6, 2011) - The most anticipated Blu-ray release ever - the Star Warsâ„¢ Saga - emerges from light speed this September 2011. For the first time, all six of George Lucas' epic films (Episodes I-VI) are united in one complete set. Fans worldwide are able to pre-order now with online retailers.

Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment will release Star Wars in three distinct sets to meet the needs of every Star Wars fan:

- Star Wars: The Complete Saga on Blu-ray (9-disc Set includes all six films)

- Star Wars: Prequel Blu-ray Trilogy (3-disc set includes Episodes I-III)

- Star Wars: Original Blu-ray Trilogy (3-disc set includes Episodes IV-VI)

STAR WARS: THE COMPLETE SAGA ON BLU-RAY will feature all six live-action Star Wars feature films utilizing the highest possible picture and audio presentation, along with three additional discs and more than 30 hours of extensive special features including never-before-seen deleted and alternate scenes, an exploration of the exclusive Star Wars archives, and much more.

Star Wars: The Complete Saga on Blu-ray will be available for $139.99 US/$179.99 CAN and the Star Wars: Trilogy Sets for $69.99 US/89.99 CAN. Pricing for each set will vary by international territory.

Flanked by a legion of his finest Imperial Stormtroopers, Darth Vader himself joined Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment President Mike Dunn at the Consumer Electronics Show (CES) to announce the release, vowing "The forces of the Empire will be at your disposal to assure the success of this endeavor.''

"The Star Wars Saga is the most anticipated Blu-ray collection since the launch of the high-def format," Dunn said. "The epic franchise pioneered sound and visual presentation in theaters and is perfectly suited to do it again in the home, with a viewing experience only possible with Blu-ray."

"With all six episodes available for the first time in one collection, this is a great way for families and home audiences to experience the complete Saga from start to finish," said Doug Yates, Vice President of Marketing, Online, Distribution, Lucasfilm Ltd. "And with the quality of high-definition, Blu-ray provides the most immersive home experience possible."

"The Star Wars franchise has been one of the most anticipated Blu-ray releases by Amazon's customers," said Bill Carr, Vice President of Music and Video at Amazon. "We think that Star Wars will be incredibly popular with our customers, and we expect pre-orders to be very strong."

Pinback
(@pinback)
99 Star General Site Moderator

I think I will dig out my VHS tape of StarWars and watch the original version of the film. 😀

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Topic starter  

I would tend to agree Pinback \m but just like all media it starts to degrade because of time or over use. So I will pick this up near the holidays and will give Lucas some of my money for the last time.

ReplyQuote
s2odan
(@s2odan)
Captain Registered

PINBACK wrote:
I think I will dig out my VHS tape of StarWars and watch the original version of the film. 😀

do you mean the one with Jabba as a scottish fat man in a fur coat? 😆

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)

s2odan wrote:

do you mean the one with Jabba as a scottish fat man in a fur coat? 😆

Unfortunately they cut that great scene from the original version. 😆 😆

I will be interested to see original films in 3D particularly the StarWars Death star trench and the Hoth

battle from Empire.

ReplyQuote
volrider
(@volrider)
Petty Officer Registered

PINBACK wrote:
I will be interested to see original films in 3D particularly the StarWars Death star trench and the Hoth

battle from Empire.

The trench scene would be cool in 3-D, done right. Even better, 3-D I-Max!

ReplyQuote
BrianRubin
(@brianrubin)
Senior Chief Registered

I've never owned SW on DVD, but I've definitely pre-ordered the complete BR set, mostly for the extras.

ReplyQuote
tsgiannis
(@tsgiannis)
Crewman Registered

Well like the other guy is have only the VHS collection so its great to finally get the HD experience

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Topic starter  

Personally I can't wait for it because I can't wait to see the extras and Lucas did say that some of the movies might have some deleted scenes added to the movie itself so that will be fun. Only decision for me is which set to spend the money on because Lord of the Rings (extended) versions are coming to BR this year supposedly as well and I know that will cost near $80 as well. Might not be able to get both 🙂

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)

Is this the missing scene of Luke building the lightsaber from Jedi, can’t be anything new from the other films in-less Lucas been has fiddling with them again.

It the 10th anniversary of Lord of the Rings this year and according to Jackson commentaries on the special edition he got hour and hours of unreleased footage, so hopefully he got some good scene to add to the films.

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Topic starter  

Me personally I have never been that anal about the SW films and I look at it as purely entertainment and if Lucas can give me more in these movies that was in it before and still have it flow and make sense then I am all for it. I know some people don't like Lucas messing with the classic films but if you can use todays tech to spruce it up why not and if you can add things to improve it, do it 🙂

Only gripe I have is that Lucas is milked this franchise to death. Just make movies and quit tweaking the existing is my first thoughts about the whole thing.

ReplyQuote