Clear all

Fan-Fic from Elite / Oolite

drew
 drew
(@drew)
Petty Officer Registered
Topic starter  

Folks (and admins).

Apologies if this is perceived as spamming (feel free to remove if not appropriate). I did read the forum rules and hope I'm not infringing anything.

As part of the promotion of the open-source Oolite, I wrote a series of short stories and two full length novels featuring elements from the game. I would hope these appeal to an audience of space-sim appreciators!

The two novels have been semi-professionally produced, with proper cover materials, editing, typesetting and so on. They are licensed as creative commons non-commercial, to avoid any tedious legal problems.

These two novels are parts 1 and 2 of a trilogy, the last part of which I am current working on. They've been positively received, with several thousand downloads recorded. I hope you enjoy them.

The Oolite Trilogy can be found here, and the short stories here.

I hope you enjoy them.

Best regards,

Drew.

s2odan
(@s2odan)
Captain Registered

Nice, Im just downloading a custom HTML version of Status Quo. 🙂

I don't see any problem with you posting that here, this is a fan-fic forum after all, this is just the place for it 😉

ReplyQuote
Geraldine
(@geraldine)
Rear Admiral Registered

Absolutely agree S20dan. Part of what makes space sims so special is the fan created content. It matters not if that content is a game mod or fan faction. It all blends together to give a much more entertaining experience. Braben & Bell knew what they were doing when they included Robert Holdstock's Dark Wheel in with their game, it fired the imagination of those early Elite players, myself among them.

By the way, this is just one fact about Elite 4 I managed to get from Frontier, they are going to include Robert somehow in the game as a tribute to him. What shape that might take, I don't know, it could be anything from a station named after him to perhaps elements from his novella.

Anyways Drew, looking forward to reading your stories 🙂

ReplyQuote
drew
 drew
(@drew)
Petty Officer Registered
Topic starter  

Thanks guys for the kind words and warm welcome!

I'm glad to hear that Robert will be remembered in game, it's small touches like that that make a big difference. A nod to fans is always appreciated. Let's hope Elite 4 does appear before too long!

My first book in the trilogy 'Status Quo' was written to give people familiar with 'Elite' a narrative introduction to 'Oolite'. So in the same way that The Dark Wheel explained some of the background, technology and equipment available to the game player in Elite, I've tried to do the same thing for Oolite.

It deliberately follows a familiar space-opera style groove and has a similar story arc to The Dark Wheel, in fact the Dark Wheel (as an organisation) are featured in the sequel 'Mutabilis', along with 'Raxxla'.

There are a lot of nods in the story to the 8-bit era, and the original game. Some are more obscure than others! 😎

Cheers,

Drew.

ReplyQuote
IronHound
(@ironhound)
Warrant Officer Registered

Well hello there Drew! Didn't think you'd be showing up around here. I think I go by OneoftheLost on the Oolite forums.

Anyhow, Status Quo and its sequel are two of my favorite fan-fics. Very good stuff, and had my on edge the entire time. Very well written. I think every space sim fan should give these a read. 😀

ReplyQuote
drew
 drew
(@drew)
Petty Officer Registered
Topic starter  

Hi there! 🙂

Hopefully part 3 (Incursio) will be available early in 2011. Will be fun to round off the trilogy.

Cheers,

Drew.

ReplyQuote
 Anonymous

Just to update the link

The oolite books and short stories: http://www.wagar.org.uk/?page_id=20 from here you can browse to the titles.

ReplyQuote
Cody
 Cody
(@cody)
Captain Registered

Just to update this, Drew's Incursio has been available for a while now.

The fourth part of the 'misnamed' trilogy, Finis, will be released on Dec 16th.

The whole set is well worth reading!

Oolite Naval Attaché

ReplyQuote
Cody
 Cody
(@cody)
Captain Registered

Alien Items, an anthology of Oolite fan fiction (or Oofic, as we fictioneers call it), is now available!

Oolite Naval Attaché

ReplyQuote
Geraldine
(@geraldine)
Rear Admiral Registered

I love the name 😎

ReplyQuote