Clear all

Peter F Hamilton

s2odan
(@s2odan)
Captain Registered
Topic starter  

Anyone else here a fan of this author?

Wrote the Night's Dawn Triolgy, And the Commonwealth Saga among others

The Common wealth saga is the latest, spanning 6 800page books, it is certainly an epic.

I just finished the Evolutionary Void, which is the last book in the Commonwealth saga.

Bascially, Humans are immortal, they are mosty 'enriched' with crazy technology, kind of like Cyborgs but organic machinery. Humans have also developed a kind of telepathy through their use of technology

It also has truly Alien aliens 🙂

The last three books are centered on what lies in the center of the galaxy, in the books there is no super-massive blackhole at the center like is beleived, but something known as the Void.

CaptainKal
(@captainkal)
Commander Registered

Quote:
Night's Dawn Triolgy

I 've read it, and it's a real page-turner.

ReplyQuote
s2odan
(@s2odan)
Captain Registered
Topic starter  

Yes I hardly saw anyone for weeks when I was reading them, nearly every night was spent with the bloody books 🙂

I think my favorites though were Pandora's star and Judas Unchained which are the first books of the whole commonwealth saga.

Although you can't beat Quinn Dexter and the whole Light bringer thing 🙂

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Supreme Dark Emperor Admin

I was checking out Peter Hamilton's website and I saw this:

Quote:

The tale of the Commonwealth universe starts with Misspent Youth (2002), which sets the stage for the Commonwealth Saga, consisting of Pandora's Star (2004) and Judas Unchained (2005).

The Void Trilogy is set in the same universe, fifteen hundred years later. Part 1, titled The Dreaming Void was released in 2007. You can read an extract of chapter 1 here. Part 2, titled The Temporal Void was released in 2008. As a teaser, part of the first chapter can be read here. Part three is to be called The Evolutionary Void.

Peter has provided a timeline of events that take place during the 1500 years between "The Commonwealth Saga" and "The Void Trilogy"

I have never read his books before, should I start with the Misspent Youth and then start the Commonwealth Saga or do you think you can grasp what is going on without that 2002 book? And looks like that Void Trilogy picks up where he left off.

ReplyQuote
CaptainKal
(@captainkal)
Commander Registered

Quote:
Although you can't beat Quinn Dexter and the whole Light bringer thing 🙂

And he pulled it off at the very end, didn't he? Altough I prefered this "Han Solo" type, that commanded the spaceship.

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)
99 Star General Site Moderator

Like the night dawn trilogy it reminds me of Frontier in many ways and I do like Hamiltons attention to detail and background descriptions in the books .You might find the first couple of hundred pages a bit confusing as it start in the past then jumps forward about thirty years also there are a lot of charter in the book but keep with it you like space opera style of story.

I did find Pandora’s Star a bit boring but the second book is excellent.

Only read the first two of the void trilogy.

ReplyQuote
Brianetta
(@brianetta)
Commander Registered

I'm currently re-reading the Night's Dawn, but on my BeBook rather than the paperbacks, which are starting to fall apart. It's a winner.

ReplyQuote
bertipa
(@bertipa)
Senior Chief Registered

I was so let down by the Naked God that I could have cryed.

There are limits on how much you can use a Deux Ex Machina solution and he went far over the board.

Pity, I liked the first two a lot.

P.S. I also have still have to read the third Void book.

ReplyQuote