Notifications
Clear all

I use crypto.com app personally on a daily basis and its great and takes the stress out of learning crypto and the crypto debit cards are great, ask me anything on this. I will probably make a thread discussing crypto soon. REFERRAL CODE = p5mu64hcq4

Modding

Gazz
 Gazz
(@gazz)
Petty Officer Registered
Topic starter  

It was briefly mentioned on indiedb but more in a to-be-determined kinda way.

Modding Unity is no different from modding any other game. It's a matter of how you set it up.

It's not something that gets added late in development. At that point it's a lost cause.

• Game data files that are not packed into one Ginormous Resource Archive.

(Take a look at Grim's Unity Asset Editor / ModDB ?)

• If files are packed into one GRA, do "loose" but modded files override the default files in the GRA?

"Loose file support" makes mod development a lot faster because you don't have to unpack/repack for everything you try. And modders try a lot of things.

It can even be helpful with development because you can have (and test!) "temporary changes" in loose files before submitting them to the proper archive.

• Can part of a file be overridden with modded data or can something like "the file with all ship data" only be replaced in it's entirety?

Partial replacement of data makes it far more likely that multiple mods can coexist.

• Are AI data or AI scripts (what actors do) accessible or is A Better Sail the only thing you can mod?

• Is the math that drives the procedural generation moddable?

If you think modders are scared of a bit of math you are fooling yourself.

• What kind of parts / files make up "a ship"?

Can one add a turret at a new position without going all hardcore with 3DSMax?

• Something like Steam Workshop is pointless until there is a modding scene for your game.

In the case of SWS it doesn't actually do anything beyond letting people download mods. It doesn't solve file conflicts or anything useful like that. It's purely for downloading.

• Are there dev tools that modders could get their hands on?

No, we're not looking for polished GUIs that "help" us by hiding all the good stuff like bitmasks and flags.

MawhrinSkel
(@mawhrinskel)
Master Chief Registered

Lol jesus Gazz, lets put this into perspective: This is a so-far unfunded indie project programmed by one man on the side while he also balances a full time job and social life.

If I Kickstart this or make it Early Access and it makes a million dollars yeah i'll quit my job and project manage this into stardom, if not then I'm going to focus on creating a solid game with a small team whom I can trust to deliver. Sadly in either case moddability is quite low down on the list as I have more important things like voice-acted story, gameplay mechanics, UI and multiplayer to work out. But it is on my radar and I am accounting for it.

I hope you appreciate that this is me being frank and honest to you, I'm not one to over-promise and under-deliver and I'm certainly not one to bite off more than I can chew!!

ReplyQuote
Gazz
 Gazz
(@gazz)
Petty Officer Registered
Topic starter  

Hah! I don't expect all these things.

This is pretty much a run-down on how-to-make-the-ideal-moddable-game.

Some parts of that are easier than others...

ReplyQuote
MawhrinSkel
(@mawhrinskel)
Master Chief Registered

Yeah it is handy actually - cheers for putting the work into that. The task is big so sometimes I see a list like that and get stressed - all about the manageable chunks.

Definitely handy to refer to in future though, thanks dude!

ReplyQuote