Notifications
Clear all

of Turret Theory and Simulated Projectiles

MawhrinSkel
(@mawhrinskel)
Master Chief Registered
Topic starter  

There's a new article over on the blog discussing turrets and projectiles and how they affect the combat in Shallow Space.

Turrets have been the subject of a vast rewrite over the last week, their code has been completely purged and they have been written from the ground up to be both useful and performant in the Shallow Space engine.

turretarcs1.jpg

But why would we go through all the effort of coding turrets with arc's of fire and attributes? Well the answer lies in the intent to make the projectiles in Shallow Space simulated - so there are no fake effects or trickery and the fate of a plasma blast or cannon bullet is not decided before the shot is fired.

But what does that mean for gameplay? and how scalable is such a mechanic? All answered with a new short dev video for good measure in the latest blog article 'of Turret Theory and Simulated Projectiles' http://shallow.space/turret-theory

BadgerHeadGames
(@badgerheadgames)
Crewman Registered

This is very cool! I saw on twitter your having fun adjusting all those turrets. I like how your engine represents the arc range in Unity. I've got to code something like that for my game. 

ReplyQuote
MawhrinSkel
(@mawhrinskel)
Master Chief Registered
Topic starter  

This is very cool! I saw on twitter your having fun adjusting all those turrets. I like how your engine represents the arc range in Unity. I've got to code something like that for my game.

Haha it does get quite monotonous after a while though setting all those arcs!

The combat feels so much better now with real projectiles, here's an internal vid I made with 4 battlecruisers sparring (with seemingly infinite health cheat) - watch from around 1:30 onwards

ReplyQuote
BadgerHeadGames
(@badgerheadgames)
Crewman Registered

Awesome! Definately for smaller conflicts or when the player is zoomed in watching it feels much more real and lots of good projectiles flying around. 

ReplyQuote