Notifications
Clear all

StarDiver -- Epic Space Opera in a Procedural Universe

friken
(@friken)
Petty Officer Registered
Topic starter  

Hi All,

I've been lurking about for a while and decided to make an account. I'm a long time fan of space games. When I say long-time.... dialup BBS tradewars, omnitrends universe kinda old  🙂 My favorites were the Starflight and Star Control games. I've worked in tech since I was a teen, started making games for Excal BBS systems (StarLance and Trail of the Mage). I took a good 10-15 years to get back to making games, but I'm back at it. 

I'm making StarDiver.... a space opera in a procedural universe. The biggest influences for the game are startlifght and starcontrol2. 

A few gifs: 

EnragedFlashyIcelandichorse.gif

PerfectImpartialDikdik.gif

FamousWaterloggedDeviltasmanian.gif

Early Teaser:

1080p/60 vids:

Anyway... Hi all! I look forward to chatting about some great space games  🙂

DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Supreme Dark Emperor Admin

Your basing stardriver off some good and classic games. Will be great to see a gameplay walkthrough with a dev when stardriver is ready for that because all your elements in your teaser video hit all the right areas people would be looking for.

Couldn't tell in the video but are those planets rotating? Does ships or anything else if destroyed in the game have their wreckage hang around for a while?

ReplyQuote
friken
(@friken)
Petty Officer Registered
Topic starter  

Thanks for the kind words. Yes the planets are 3d and rotate. The gas giants, I'm especially proud of as they have bands of gas flowing at different speeds and circular storms. When parts get blasted off your ship, yes they hang around for the remainer of the battle and can be used in battle. I especially enjoy knocking a part off w the krex then using the pulse weapon to mass drive the part into the enemy 🙂

It is early yet, but I did just post a couple playable combat builds for feedback on the AI. Controls are setup for game controller (targeting xbox one, ps4, pc) but can be changed to kb w F1 or mouse/kb w F2 (if using ie browser it would be Alt F1/F2).

http://gravityride.com/builds/Krex_vs_BenevAI/Krex_BenevAI.html

http://gravityride.com/builds/Krex_vs_BenevAI_Lowrez/Krex_BenevAI_Lowrez.html

More info on the controls and such here: 

http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=47730.0

ReplyQuote
curlsworth
(@curlsworth)
Petty Officer Registered

That looks beautiful. You will have money from me when you are ready to take it.

Are you planning on going for Steam Greenlight? Not that I think you should or shouldn't. I'm just curious.

ReplyQuote
CrossDressiNate
(@crossdressinate)
Senior Chief Registered

It looks like it'll be a damn cool game. What are your plans for the AI? SPAZ 2 seems like it'll have a really well done AI that could be one of the best for this style of game.

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)
99 Star General Site Moderator

Looking good Friken are you planing any planet landings as you mention both Starflight and Star Control as big influences for the game.

ReplyQuote
friken
(@friken)
Petty Officer Registered
Topic starter  

Looking good Friken are you planing any planet landings as you mention both Starflight and Star Control as big influences for the game.

Thanks for the feedback. Yep, planet landing is a must for this type of game. Still in early dev stages, no ore, life, etc yet. We will be modeling the landing mechanism closer to Starflight (genesis version) than star control -- though some neat addictions I'll keep to myself for now. 

VioletInsignificantAmericanpainthorse.gi

GloomyFittingAuklet.gif

ReplyQuote
friken
(@friken)
Petty Officer Registered
Topic starter  

It looks like it'll be a damn cool game. What are your plans for the AI? SPAZ 2 seems like it'll have a really well done AI that could be one of the best for this style of game.

I haven't played spaz2 yet, but AI is a really, really big deal to us. It is what made StarControl a blast to play. We have two ship AIs made currently and are working out the kinks in the system before moving on to the rest of the ships in the game. If you want to try out our AIs check a couple posts up -- I posted links to dev builds. We currently have 25 alien races / ships. A Couple:

IncredibleDismalBluebreastedkookaburra.g

CalculatingTallAchillestang.gif

ReplyQuote