Notifications
Clear all

Stop Motion Space Adventures

SpaceRider
(@spacerider)
Senior Chief Registered
Topic starter  

Hi everyone,

some of you may know me as the progammer of "Cosmic Explorer". However, a while ago I discovered a new hobby: Stop Motion with Lego bricks or brickfilms in short. So for all who are fond of space exploration similar to STAR TREK, I created the series FUTURE BRICKS, showing the adventures of a team crossing the universe while seaching and delivering rare parts. The team is an experienced captain (Asko), an unexperienced navigator (Claude), a clever alien engineer (Nigosch), a female astrobiologist and doctor (Linda) and a robot (T4C2, often just called "T4"). In the first episode, they are not complete yet and get to know the robot, but then they will have lots of adventures together. Currently, there are just two episodes, but more will follow (stop motion needs a lot of time for creation):

Episode 1: "The Secret Of The Scrap Planet"

[media='640x360']https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CDIU8Vr3rb8[/media]

Episode 2: "The Strange Asteroid Rain"

[media='640x360']https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8PviqDc-IQc[/media]

The language is acutally German, but the subtitles show the English translation, so it should be easy to understand for people who do not speak German as their mother tongue.

Enjoy!

Greetings

SpaceRider

P.S.: I am not a Youtube partner, so I will not get any money from higher click rates. I do this just for fun.

Pinback
(@pinback)
99 Star General Site Moderator

Excellent work SpaceRaider 😎 I know Stop motion takes a long time to do as I have done some myself many years ago in 8mm film, are you using a digital video or still camera for the animation.

ReplyQuote
SpaceRider
(@spacerider)
Senior Chief Registered
Topic starter  

Thank you very much, Pinback! You are absolutely right, Stop Motion looks simple but takes really a lot of time. Sometimes, you need a week for only a few seconds. I need around 5-6 months until one movie of 20 minutes is complete, including animations, sounds, speech, texts and music. But it is always fun to see how the things come alive.

I use no digital video or still camera but a webcam, it is a Microsoft LifeCam Cinema. It works quite well but dark scenes can be a problem because of image noise. So my next movies must become brighter :).

Which kind of stop motion did you do? I mean did you use bricks as well or other material like clay?

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)

Used 3 and half inch high action figures, ones with articulated joints and did some in plasticine.

Seem to recall having problems with lights as well as in not enough of it.

ReplyQuote
SpaceRider
(@spacerider)
Senior Chief Registered
Topic starter  

Used 3 and half inch high action figures, ones with articulated joints and did some in plasticine.

I see. Was it something like that:

It is really amazing how this guy could animate the action figures, as they are much more complex than Lego minifigs.

Say, what was the plot of your movie? Did you ever finish it?

ReplyQuote
friken
(@friken)
Petty Officer Registered

Nice... looks like you are having some fun with it. How long does it take you to put together a stop motion vid like the first one you linked?

ReplyQuote
SpaceRider
(@spacerider)
Senior Chief Registered
Topic starter  

Thank you, friken! It is indeed fun to make a brickfilm, but it takes a whole lot of time. I need 5-6 months for the completion of a 20 minutes movie (like the first one I linked). Sometimes it is not just to film a scene, you sometimes reshoot it because either it is shaky or you got an idea how to make it better. And then you need a lot of other material like sound and video effects, background images, music, voices ... At the end, you are all in one person (director, producer, script author, animator) beside the actual actors of your movie - the minifigs or action figures. Fortunately, they always do what you want - most of the time :).

But I just love Sci-Fi so it is fun to me to create this. Are you generally interested In Stop Motion movies?

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)

I see. Was it something like that:

It is really amazing how this guy could animate the action figures, as they are much more complex than Lego minifigs.

Say, what was the plot of your movie? Did you ever finish it?

No that is way better then anything I did and I notice that the figures have more joints than the ones I used and no I never did finish it.

ReplyQuote