Notifications
Clear all

Gangs of Space - 4X MMO Shmup

Grouroux
(@grouroux)
Crewman Registered
Topic starter  

Hello,

I'am Grouroux, the game designer of Gangs of Space, and I want to introduce our indie space game.
Feel free to ask all the questions you want (I'am not very well skilled in english, but I hope you will understand).

header.png

Description

Gangs of Space is a massively-multiplayer space online game of the 4X genre (eXplore, eXpand, eXploit, eXterminate),
using a shmup / hack'n'slash gameplay
Gangs of ambitious players compete against each other to conquer the most territories in hostile planetary systems,
using ships and items looted from destroyed enemies, or designed and built in player-owned space bases. 

The Gang which accumulates the most territorial, economical, technological and political influence is awarded the rank of
Quadrant Administrator, and is allowed to write the laws of the universe. 

Features

• Action gameplay, hack'n'shash shmup with permanent death. 
  • Multiple ship classes, each with a very distinct gameplay. 
  • No XP, no levelling. The skill of the player himself is paramount. 
  • One universe (no sharding) to discover and conquer. 
  • Space structures to build & then protect in order to exploit the conquered territories. 
  • Economy, technology, industry, geopolitics are all completely player-driven. 
  • Governing players can set laws and taxes in their governed planetary systems. 
  • Innovative crafting system, which gives players complete freedom in designing their own item variations. 
  • API that let anyone create applications (PC/Mac, web, mobile…) that can interact with the game.

And

Screenshots and video

[attachment=2582:screen1.png] [attachment=2583:screen2.png] [attachment=2584:screen4.png]
[attachment=2585:screen6.png] [attachment=2586:screen7.png] [attachment=2587:galactic-map.png]

FStyle
(@fstyle)
Senior Chief Registered

Looks neat. But is there a PvE element? Just wondering since I tend to play EVE solo, and it's nice that there's a lot to do besides for PvP while the game is still largely player driven.

ReplyQuote
Grouroux
(@grouroux)
Crewman Registered
Topic starter  

The game is cooperative competitive. That mean, the game is full PvE with many ladder in every part of the game to be better than other player/gang and win space sector or rewards or political control of a system/galaxy.

Many players ask for PvP, maybe one day, but it won't be a full PvP game.

ReplyQuote
Hohen
(@hohen)
Crewman Registered

You got me! I'm hyped and I honestly can't wait to see the final result (full release) of this... now I wish I had an alpha invite though 

Best luck for you, hope you get enough press coverage.

ReplyQuote
Grouroux
(@grouroux)
Crewman Registered
Topic starter  

Tkx Hohen, it's was cool to see you on our live session.

I hope you will be there for the next session too.

I also wanted to ask you, did you know any good spanish website about MMO or space game ?

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Supreme Dark Emperor Admin

Looks like Gangs of Space is still around and in Alpha still after two years, according to the website posts it is actively being developed on. So why still in Alpha two years later?

ReplyQuote
Grouroux
(@grouroux)
Crewman Registered
Topic starter  

Hello ! Thank you to always follow Gangs of Space after all this time 🙂

Making an MMO with two dev it is a very long process. There are ups, downs, and personal life to manage who can have a big impact on the dev. Basically these two years have not been very soft and gentle but as a big filthy torrent of mud ready to take everything in its path. But we are still here!

In May 2015 we found that the 4X + Shmup could not work, it was too much too big for us and we were never going to finish the game. After a little rest we decided to review the scope of the game and return to the original concept we wanted in 2012.

So one year we work to V4 Gangs of Space. It's always a Shmup MMO, but we replaced the 4X with roguelike. We also kept the fact that the game has an end, it functions as a session whose duration will depend on the players.

Current September / October we will update all the descriptions on sites where we have already spoken of GoS, as here. But we are available to answer your questions 😀

ReplyQuote