Notifications
Clear all

In Search of a good Space Sim MMO...

Lock2002
(@lock2002)
Crewman Registered
Topic starter  

Hi there,

since i am new here i just wanna greet you all and say that this really is an awesome site for people who like space sims like me 😀

Ok so the thing is, i have been playing a fair number of space sims since ive been a child, ranging from masters of orion to alpha centauri, escape velocity or EVE Online.

I recently got again the time to play and started again EV Nova which i really adore. But since i have been playing that one over and over i really wanted to look for something EVish which means:

i nice big universe map there to explore for me

planets, space stations or what to visit and look for nice subplots, missions and stuff.

So basically freedom, economy, exploration and a little action is also ok.

After brwosing the web for hours and hours, reading through all the classics like freelancer, darkstar one, X3 etc pp and watching vids, i still am confused and get the feeling that Escape Velocity is somewhat unique.

I also tried Black Prophecy which is for free, but where EVE and X3 for example are too time consuming and too well sorry to say it, but for me just to boring, there on the other hand black prophecy, darkstar one i.e. are too action oriented.

And since i don't want to waste more days and days on research or trial gaming just to get frustrated in my search, i thought that perhaps someone of you guys know Escape Velocity, the feeling and what other game could give me the experience i look for..

well its a lot to ask i guess, but nevertheless help in any kind would be appreciated 😀

cheers,

Nick

Anonymous

You might want to try out Starquest Online.

It recently got new developers, so it might be a good idea to wait a little while. They plan on redoing the graphics (I think) and making it F2P.

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Supreme Dark Emperor Admin

I'm sure there is some MMO's I am missing but make sure you look at this list and if you know of some not on it let me know. This is a listing of actual client games not web based games.

http://spacesimcentral.com/?page_id=382

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)
99 Star General Site Moderator

I don’t play any these online games myself but what I have read Vendetta maybe something similar to EV.

ReplyQuote
deepseaweed
(@deepseaweed)
Senior Chief Registered

Lock2002 wrote:
Ok so the thing is, i have been playing a fair number of space sims since ive been a child, ranging from masters of orion to alpha centauri, escape velocity or EVE Online.

I had a flashback with the wrong game 😆

Terminal Velocity

tvadart.jpg

ReplyQuote
Lock2002
(@lock2002)
Crewman Registered
Topic starter  

thank you all so much for the answers, i am getting closer and closer. got through a lot of reading and gameplay watching yesterday. i guess in the end i gotta just try and play the games xD

DarkOne wrote:
I'm sure there is some MMO's I am missing but make sure you look at this list and if you know of some not on it let me know. This is a listing of actual client games not web based games.

http://spacesimcentral.com/?page_id=382

i think u missed these if they count in your scheme:

Ace online

Battlestar galactica

Dark orbit

and the Time of Defiance and Rogueship (mobile) links seem to be dead i guess

ok then i realized that the whole system on which EV Nova and other 2d Space Sims are based, is from the g'old Elite which i never played *shameonme*

coincidently i found this site with a download platform like steam, its called "Desura", where u can get indie games, alphas, betas and so on, for payment of course.

and the following games struck me as they could fit the profile:

Star Sonata

Space Pirates and Zombies

Stardrive

Naev

Zigfrak

Stellar Impact

Gratuitous Space Battles

Shattered Origins

Evochron

Transcendence

and another list which i put together from browsing through the endless deeps of the net here on:

Space Sims

Online:

Ace online

Armada Online

Battlestar galactica

Black Prophecy

Dark orbit

Earth and beyond (dead)

EVE Online

Star wars galaxies (dead)

Starport galactic empires

Starquest online

Taikodom

Vendetta online

Offline:

3030 Deathwar

Battlecruiser 3000 AD

Dark horizon

Darkstar One

Distand worlds

Ev Nova

Flatspace 1&2

Freelancer

Freespace 2

Haegemonia

homeworld

Malkari

Naev

Oolite

Pax imperia

Riftspace

Shattered suns

Smugglers 4

Space force

space rangers 2

Star ruler

Starpoint Gemini

Starships unlimited

Tarr chronicles

Terminus

Transcendence

Universal Combat

Warp Gate or Space Miner

iOS:

Galaxy on Fire

Space Sim

Xbox360:

Project delta/alpha

Space pirates from tomorrow

my 2 cents, if anyone has opinions, suggestions or else please feel welcome to share 😀

btw: if anyone likes Gundam --> http://ucgoserver.com/

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Supreme Dark Emperor Admin

Lock2002 wrote:
Earth and beyond (dead)

Star wars galaxies (dead)

These are officially dead, but there is communities hosting there own servers and fixing and adding things to these games still the links to them is in that link page I posted. And there is a host of games in our game list from the drop down menu at the top 'Game Lists'.

I will add the Gundum site to the link are, nice to know it exists 🙂

ReplyQuote
Lock2002
(@lock2002)
Crewman Registered
Topic starter  

Ah thanks for the tip, your lists are great:D

Btw found a transformers like mmo

http://www.onrpg.com/MMO/Exteel

Well but thats it, two days research, now i gotta do some playin' 😉

But still posts much appreciated, or even perhaps theres someone who wants to play together, though i dunno bout

Time differences since i live in germany xD

ReplyQuote
Zemunelo
(@zemunelo)
Petty Officer Registered

If you want strategy single or multiplayer i think Homeworld 2 with complex mod is best choice.

http://www.homeworld2complex.com/

Really good.

If you want MMO free or with subscription, Eve online is still the best choice because you can play it for free if you like (need time, lot of boring stuff like mining etc)

or just for fun (fight, shoot, action) but you need to pay for month and for additional ISK because you will loose a lot.

Also Battlestar Galactica is very good choice and a lot of action, almost all is the action there.

Maybe that is what was boring for me on a long run.

It is free but after some time you realize that you need to pay or grind a lot. The guy who gives a lot of money can come with a really big ship and shoot you like a fly.

There is a legend, classic old school game and that is Freelancer.

Some nice mods, community is still large enough and even multiplayer servers are working usually for mods. But not too many people can be at the same time on the server.

Vendeta Online is nice game from my short experience (8 hours trial) but you need to pay to play and it is not big world and community (as in Eve online).

That is my list of games i can recommend.

ReplyQuote
leksimus
(@leksimus)
Petty Officer Registered

If you liked EvE online but had any of the following thoughts: "Man, this is complex" or "Hmmm, this isn't really space dog fighting" or " I love this game, too bad it's filled with ultra powerful dinks!!" The I'd suggest you head on over and check out vendetta online. I wrote an intro review on this forum right here: http://www.spacesimcentral.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=2696 So have a read.

Leks

ReplyQuote
darksmaster923
(@darksmaster923)
Petty Officer Registered

i don't think eve ever intended to be space dog fighting, its all warships

ReplyQuote
leksimus
(@leksimus)
Petty Officer Registered

darksmaster923 wrote:
i don't think eve ever intended to be space dog fighting, its all warships

No doubt, if anything Eve is almost a point and click universe. Dont get me wrong, there are lots of things about the WAY Eve plays that I love, so much in fact, that if I were ever to make my own game, I'd borrow several pages from CCP's design book. Some of things I don't like about Eve is one: I wasn't there when it started otherwise I'd be one of those super powerful corporate guys and two: There seems to me an excessive amount of grief causing asshats everywhere..

Just my 2c

Leks

ReplyQuote
Zemunelo
(@zemunelo)
Petty Officer Registered

Actually in Eve if you want to be that super mega-giga corp leader,

you don't need time but money, real life money.

You need to buy a lot of ISK to survive, to be able to have powerful corp and to fight with your enemies successfully.

Big corporation-big costs.

You can buy Eve ISK for real money like in F2P games.

You buy plex and sell it on game market.

Buy it regularly from CCP or,

If it is not enough you can buy ISK (minerals,plex,items etc) on black market.

That means you buy it from people that are farming Eve resources and reselling.

In any case you will pay if you want to play that game more than occasional.

About point and click,

i don't like it but there is no way you can do fps or any shooter game on that scale.

There are 50k players in the evening on one server.

Today's technology is not good enough especially internet connections etc to maintain that number of people online.

Vendeta has how many player?

1k?

More?

Think less.

In Eve nothing is real, physics is simple, shooting is juts matter of stats you have and a little distant, motion is simple and predefined, no collision and there is still some big problems and lag.

They can't do something "real" for now.

ReplyQuote
KaosProphet
(@kaosprophet)
Crewman Registered

Zemunelo wrote:
Actually in Eve if you want to be that super mega-giga corp leader,

you don't need time but money, real life money.

You need to buy a lot of ISK to survive, to be able to have powerful corp and to fight with your enemies successfully.

Wow. No. If you want big-time ISK in Eve, you "just" need to learn how to work the in-game markets. (I say "just," but it's a pretty big challenge in itself.) Those are the guys buying your plex in-game so they can play for free. Selling Plex is... well, a good shortcut if you don't feel like grinding for the initial startup cash, but anything after that and it starts falling real short.

ReplyQuote
Zemunelo
(@zemunelo)
Petty Officer Registered

Big alliances with a lot of corps can't find enough black-market isk-sellers to fulfill their needs.

I know that because i used to work like isk-seller myself.

They buy isk one way or another (regular or black market).

It is a double P2P.

ReplyQuote
KaosProphet
(@kaosprophet)
Crewman Registered

Zemunelo wrote:
Big alliances with a lot of corps can't find enough black-market isk-sellers to fulfill their needs.

I know that because i used to work like isk-seller myself.

They buy isk one way or another (regular or black market).

It is a double P2P.

There will always be a subset of players who would rather leverage their out of game wallets than their in-game skills, but it's not even close to necessary to play the game.

ReplyQuote
Dalkeith
(@dalkeith)
Senior Chief Registered

I'm pretty much in the same boat as everyone else I really want a space sim and Eve attracts you because it's big. There's 7000 plus solar systems in it. That is very exciting. It's also great comeing across all the different nationalities. It makes me think that the future of game development is probably going to be MMO. I enjoy the mining and the ship fitting is interesting although I haven't got too grips with it yet.

BUT flying isn't particularly skillful and I'd like to have more dexterity required in actual flight which would give newer players a better chance against the purely old long served and highly trained skill wise characters.

I would love the game mechanics of evochron mercenary in eve I think that would be really close to ultimate.

I can see why people build their own. They have the ability and there is just something that they are not happy with regarding existing things and they just can't help themselves... fine by me someone's going to get it spot on eventually.

ReplyQuote