Notifications
Clear all

10 Games for 2020

Pinback
(@pinback)
99 Star General Site Moderator
Topic starter  

As we wave goodbye to the teens, I think we can say that it was a hell of a good decade for this genre although it did get off to a slow start, it picked up in the last 8 years. Two new types of games were add in the form of the bridge simulator and the rogue like game and although many games may never be finished, their has been a greater push by developer in what the player can do within the games.  Will it continue or will we see a slow down in the games releases over the next ten years and will see any the big developer dipping a toe into the genre, who knows, but I guess we will find out.

Hyperventila: The Game
A 2d space RPG out on the 6th of Fed, very little Infor about the game as the description on Steam is very short.

Website https://www.hyperventila.com/

Take on the role of a starship captain thrown into an extraordinary situation.
When three time travellers mysteriously appear on your ship with unusual abilities, you can help them or use them. One thing is certain,
their powers will allow you to shape and reshape the face of the Hyperventila galaxy.
These initial events will put you at the centre of a political power struggle. You hold the key to the future of the galaxy.
You have complete freedom to choose its fate as you conquer, discuss or trade your way to greater influence.

Pilot your own starship

Explore space stations and planets

A whole galaxy at your mercy

Out There Oceans Of Time

Is the sequel to Out There, this time in 3d and by the sound of it you are one doing the chasing rather than
being chased which has become standard in these FTL/rogue like games.

http://oceansoftime.outtheregame.com/

In a far-flung corner of the universe where humans are a disdained minority, you were entrusted with transporting the most dangerous being alive
to an impregnable prison—and it escaped.
Now you must lead a team of explorers, misfits, and bounty hunters on a galaxy-spanning mission of redemption to find the Archon and recapture it before it is too late.

In Search of a Home

Already out on Steam for a couple of months now, this is 2D rogue-like space exploration game. Looks a bit on the basic side but may improve over time.

In Search of a Home (ISH) is a strategy rogue-like space exploration game where you lead a small fleet of ships and people out into unknown galaxies to find a new home.
With your resources and population dwindling, you must do your best to balance the morale of your fleet, curry favour with different factions, research new technologies,
and explore the galaxy for resources. Not everyone will make it to your new home, and not everything is essential.
You’ll have to make hard choices to keep the fleet united on your mission to find a planet to call home.

Starpoint Gemini 3
Already in early access and is a departure from the capital ship gameplay of the previous games and going for more of the classic Elite gameplay this time around.
Dose have a annoying FPS controls.

https://lgmgames.net/

Step into the laid-back shoes of captain Jonathan Bold as he travels and explores the open world of Starpoint Gemini 3.
Encounter amazing characters, engage in unprecedented dawgfighting space combat, mining, freelancing, trading and crafting as You uncover Bold's shady origins.
The largest game universe in the Starpoint Gemini series spanning three different planetary systems

Adrenaline-pumping, action-packed space combat that allows distinct play-styles and on-the-fly weapon switching
A complete set of RPG skills to boost the player's capabilities
Modular ship upgrading system
Crafting system that allows the player to create new items and weapons to sell or use
A variety of available activities including mining valuable materials and exploring the vast universe
A unique chance to explore the shocking truth about the other imperial colonies and the fate of alien races
A large variety of characters with unique personalities, different questlines and factions
An engaging storyline written by Darko Macan, an official writer for numerous Star Wars and Marvel comics
A unique digital companion, ADAH, that assist the player in uncovering Bold's shady origins
Detailed interiors on different planets; visit them all!

Ever Space 2 Again another sequal which is going for the classic Elite gameplay but may fall flat on iit's face it uses the same FPS control from the first game.

EVERSPACE™ 2 is a fast-paced single-player space shooter with deep exploration, tons of loot and classic RPG elements. Experience a thrilling story set in a vivid,
handcrafted open-world full of secrets and perils on your journey to become human after all.
In the campaign, you will make some friends with their own story to tell. They will join you on side missions and provide certain benefits in the endgame,
where vicious encounters and brutal challenges will stand between you and that next epic loot drop.

Starship Horizons Bridge Simulator
The game has been around for a couple years now but it getting a Steam release this year and if you are intrested in it you can get into early access now by going to
the website.

Website https://www.starshiphorizons.com/

You Have The Conn
If you've ever wanted to sit in the Captains chair... This game is for you!
Horizons is a multi-player experience allowing 2-6 players to work together as Bridge Officers. This game is designed to be played as a team,
venturing around the galaxy or playing any number of Missions designed for a shorter experience.
One License Supports Up Six Players
One copy of the game will server as the Main View Screen (like you see in Star Trek) and allow up to 6 players locally to join from their devices
as one of the key Bridge Officers: Captain, Flight, Tactical, Science, Operations, and Engineering. Use your PC, Laptop, Tablet, Chromebook or even
Raspberry Pi to connect and play! Add additional screens like Alert Status, Shield Status, Galactic Maps and more to further add to the fun!
Advanced Hardware Support
Build your own bridge with lighting and immersive effects! Horizons natively supports external devices like DMX, Philips hue, Z-Wave
and even networked Arduino or Raspberry Pi devices.

Pinback
(@pinback)
Topic starter  

Gears of Eden
Bit of a odd one as you are in control of a robot on a asteroid and their is a demo that can be tryed out.

Website https://gearsofeden.com/

Let’s find them! Gears of Eden is an open-world role-playing adventure game that features exploration, mining, crafting, missions,
and more! Set in a gripping story that explores the hidden past of a machine world and the dangerous implications of its future,
Gears invokes a slowly unfolding narrative that reveals itself through gameplay.

Your journey begins on an abandoned mining asteroid in deep space. Gather resources, repair and upgrade your components,
and start searching for others as you seek answers to the mysteries surrounding your creation.

Ostranauts
Been following this for a while and it might not appeal to everyone but I think it will be one the more intresting games this year.

Website https://bluebottlegames.com/games/ostranauts

Ostranauts is a detailed simulation of owning and living aboard a spaceship, in a solar system where honest living is a slow death sentence.
Set in the NEO Scavenger universe, where Earth has suffered cataclysmic collapse, the rest of the System lives on in a state of capitalistic dystopia.

Players will create their captain, build or customize their starting ship from the spoils of their career history, and find ways to keep their motley crew in line,
fuel in their tanks, food on their plates, and the debt collectors at bay.

Kerbal Space Program 2
Mor mayhen fro the Kerbals as you try a build a space programe to explore the galaxy.

Website https://www.kerbalspaceprogram.com/

Kerbal Space Program 2 is the sequel to the acclaimed space flight simulation game Kerbal Space Program from Star Theory and Private Division.

With the original Kerbal Space Program having become one of the most beloved games of all time and now bigger than ever, Kerbal Space Program 2 has been
fully redesigned from the ground up to meet the demands of modern and next-generation space exploration, all while maintaining the monumental foundations of the first game.
Build a space program, construct powerful spacecraft, design resource-gathering colonies, and much more to uncover the secrets of the galaxy.
A plethora of exciting new features will captivate veteran and returning players, as well as usher in a whole new wave of Kerbonauts to the ingenious and comedic
world that has entertained millions of players.

ILL Space
Looks to be a sim /RTS space station game.

Website https://illspace.com/

Welcome, Candidate.

You are aboard the Interstellar Longhaul Logistics capital trade nexus.

In 2298, humanity is expanding at a rate higher than ever. Resources are plentiful, but far away and extremely hard to extract.
The discovery and utilization of quantum links has finaly enabled human race to traverse previously unfathomable distances.

The I.L.L. Trade and Command Nexus is the largest, most populated hub of the Terran Alliance of Corporations, a self-governed and militarized industrial mega-corp.

Here, Commanders are sent deep into space to set up outposts and mine asteroids for precious metals. These enterprises are extremely
expensive and also come at a high-risk - not everyone makes it back. And, sometimes, those who do, speak of unimaginable cosmic horrors and utter destruction.
What long was thought as a myth, as an anomaly in long range field scanners, has proven to be true.

ReplyQuote
Blah64
(@blah64)
Senior Chief Registered

I had completely forgot about most of these games, so it was a fun surprise to see I had already wishlisted 'em.

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)
Topic starter  

I just ran across a couple of them recently and I do like the look of Hyperventila as it's reminds me of the old 16bit space RPG.

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Supreme Dark Emperor Admin

Hyperventila and Ill Space look pretty good too me, from your list. I would have to dig into the posts but I think there is some others that could be out in 2020. 

ReplyQuote
Pulstar85
(@pulstar85)
Crewman Registered

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/impellerstudios/starfighter-inc-0

I wonder if this game is coming out at all this year. At least they have working demos, so it's real enough.

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Supreme Dark Emperor Admin

Posted by: @pulstar85

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/impellerstudios/starfighter-inc-0

I wonder if this game is coming out at all this year. At least they have working demos, so it's real enough.

Not sure really what the status is on this one, especially since it will be a multi-player only style of game. The game has also had a name change it's new name is 'In the Black' - https://intheblack.gg/

But with no updates in almost a year it is concerning.

This post was modified 4 years ago 2 times by DarkOne

ReplyQuote