Notifications
Clear all

Alliance Space Guard (a 3D spacesim with orbits and ship avionics!)

Page 5 / 7

Cody
 Cody
(@cody)
Captain Registered

Looking good, amigo!

Oolite Naval Attaché

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)
99 Star General Site Moderator

Nice on DC, love that station design. 😎 

ReplyQuote
Cody
 Cody
(@cody)
Captain Registered

ASGARD (Alliance Space Guard Advanced Research Directorate) - Home of the Gods?

Oolite Naval Attaché

ReplyQuote
D.C.Elington
(@d-c-elington)
Warrant Officer Registered
Topic starter  

@cody excellent 🤣
There's a lot of potential with the ship names too! (My thanks to Her Majesty's Royal Navy by the way 😉)

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Supreme Dark Emperor Admin

Nice work thus far @d-c-elington, heh I want to see a NPC craft dock in real time to see how they do.... I know that will be a lot of trial and error testing there. And cannot wait to see your 'traffic scheduler' in action, that is really gonna make things come alive in your demo. 👍 

ReplyQuote
D.C.Elington
(@d-c-elington)
Topic starter  
Posted by: @sscadmin

a lot of trial and error

Indeed 😣 That's when one needs to remember the golden rule of "agile" dev: one problem at a time!

ReplyQuote
D.C.Elington
(@d-c-elington)
Topic starter  

Hi SSC,

The work on the NPC traffic is going on (focused on the Orbital Traffic Control system right now). Meanwhile here's a little update about the updated external view and radio chatter.

Cheers! 🙂 

Cody liked
ReplyQuote
Cody
 Cody
(@cody)
Captain Registered

Loving this, DC!

Oolite Naval Attaché

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)

Love a bit of space chatter in games always think it gives the game some atmosphere, but not every one like it so it's good to see that you can just turn it off.

ReplyQuote
D.C.Elington
(@d-c-elington)
Topic starter  

Ah yes and listening to the chatter actually takes one comms slot out of twelve! But I was thinking it could be made a bit more useful, so talking to ships could help the crew morale and/or give "insight points" to be used in missions: when wondering about which nearby ship to go intercept and inspect for instance.

ReplyQuote
Cody
 Cody
(@cody)
Captain Registered

Posted by: @d-c-elington

I was thinking it could be made a bit more useful, so talking to ships could help the crew morale and/or give "insight points" to be used in missions

Straight out of an Oolite mission:

Oh dear me yes. A frightful rogue with what I believe you people call a lead posterior shot up lots of beastly pirates...

Oolite Naval Attaché

ReplyQuote
D.C.Elington
(@d-c-elington)
Topic starter  

Hum that makes me think the comms with ships should include "small talk", besides the more straight to the point mission related options. But everything in its time, these days I'll be banging my head against the Orbital Traffic Control coconut 🤪

ReplyQuote
Cody
 Cody
(@cody)
Captain Registered

that makes me think the comms with ships should include "small talk"

Done right, a little banter, some friendly piss-taking, is always welcome.

Oolite Naval Attaché

ReplyQuote
D.C.Elington
(@d-c-elington)
Topic starter  

Hello SSC,

Sorry for the radio silence I was fighting with "Orbital Traffic Control", and TBH my nose is still a bit bloody for it 😀

The traffic itself is not in place yet as it seemed more effective to define flying rules first, but that will be the main task from now on.

Fly safe 🙂
David

Cody liked
ReplyQuote
Cody
 Cody
(@cody)
Captain Registered

Awesome!

Oolite Naval Attaché

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)

Nice update @d-c-elington, I guess I should take more lessons from you you don't take any crap from pilots not following procedures for docking/getting fuel at SSC 😉

One question, I know your doing a demo of some of the functionality and slowing it down to explain. But in real time if I was approaching the station how long from entering the 'Flaring Zone' to docking with the station take?

ReplyQuote
D.C.Elington
(@d-c-elington)
Topic starter  

@sscadmin as a matter of fact it was my first programming experience with an "agent" that/who may just ignore the sent instructions! 😄
And so that "non cooperative" status is just a first step and OTC should become more capable as new features get added.

About the "taxi" time from the flare to the docking port: that depends on the "traffic level" for the procedure. I wanted a bit of diversity and more importantly to avoid annoying the player with convoluted paths for no reason, so:
- with no active traffic at the station: 1 direct path to the entry of the docking corridor + docking, maybe 1 minute with time acceleration
- some traffic but not in the same procedure: 1 step to the "z-plane" (= vertical slice at the docking port altitude) then a second one at constant altitude to the docking corridor. Maybe 2 minutes
- traffic in the same procedure: that's the whole shebang through the "arrival holding stack" and "lifts" with 4 steps. Maybe 3 minutes.
And of course ships may have to "hold" in place while waiting for the next step to be clear of traffic. But that also can be skipped with time acceleration and OTC will prompt you to go with a dedicated message (and automatically reset to x1 time rate).

(P.S. since there is no actual traffic yet the procedure is temporarily set based on the station's size.)

This post was modified 3 years ago by D.C.Elington

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)

Awesome DC 😎

Just thinking that you should have a space trucking mode, if it does not already have it.

ReplyQuote
D.C.Elington
(@d-c-elington)
Topic starter  
Posted by: @pinback

Just thinking that you should have a space trucking mode, if it does not already have it.

I was wondering about the dev roadmap actually. The next two steps are a sure thing: NPC Traffic (1st pass) and Ship Systems (2nd pass to complete them). After that I was initially planning to work on the sensors but the more it goes the more I think it's high time to start gamifying and implement the basics of the career and missions system. And so these would in-effect start with space trucking runs!

This post was modified 3 years ago 3 times by D.C.Elington

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)

NPC Traffic (1st pass)

Least in your recent demo it would have been great seeing all of the NPCs doing their own thing and the station interacting with them and you. But I am sure that is tough from a logic standpoint 🙂

ReplyQuote
D.C.Elington
(@d-c-elington)
Topic starter  

But I am sure that is tough from a logic standpoint

Well on paper all the necessary ingredients are supposed to be there already, so the problem should essentially amount to "piecing everything together"... That said I'm expecting to be slapped in the face quite a few times on that one too! 😣😅

ReplyQuote
DelwynElysia
(@delwynelysia)
Crewman Registered

Hi SSC,

The work on the NPC traffic is going on (focused on the Orbital Traffic Control system right now). Meanwhile here's a little update about the updated external view and radio internet chatter.

Cheers! 🙂 

Thanks for sharing.

This post was modified 3 years ago by DelwynElysia

ReplyQuote
D.C.Elington
(@d-c-elington)
Topic starter  

But I am sure that is tough from a logic standpoint

Hello SSC!

You said it all above D1 🤕😀 But at last the NPCs are now flying. From the beginning of the project I had been focused on flight planning / path finding and I had completely overlooked decision making and execution tasks layering. These were also subjects I really did not know about so it took a bit of time to learn and then assemble a reasonably working contraption. Here's the related vid:

At the moment all NPCs behave as "galactic starliners" but they will be given new and more elaborate missions as it goes!

Fly safe,
David

Cody liked
ReplyQuote
Cody
 Cody
(@cody)
Captain Registered

Hey DC - good to see you!

Oolite Naval Attaché

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)

Damn @d-c-elington this is really good stuff what you have done here.... We might need to check your mental state after all of this math you been doing 🤣 

You have built a complex engine here another thought would be to package all these mechanics together to sell to other game devs looking to make a space game with some scope. Because damn you have some impressive stuff here even at this early stage. 

Question: 

I like what you have done with the transponder in the ships, will the player have the option to disable the transponder for whatever needs they may have?

And it looks like you rely on speeding up time a lot in your game, about midway through the video you selected another system. If you decided (doubtful) to fly in real time how long would travel actually take? 🙂

ReplyQuote
Page 5 / 7