Notifications
Clear all

Artemis

Dramacius
(@dramacius)
Senior Chief Registered
Topic starter  

Thanks to Darkone, I will now be posting regular updates on here about Artemis Spaceship Bridge Simulation, a lot of what I post will be cross posted from the main message board but I will also be acting as a go between with you and the Artemis posting suggestions to Thom and also keeping you updated on changes and possibly Q&A's.

A bit about the software.

Quote:

Artemis is a multiplayer, multi-computer networked game for Windows computers.

4partA.png

Artemis simulates a spaceship bridge by networking several computers together. One computer runs the simulation and the "main screen", while the others serve as workstations for the normal jobs a bridge officer might do, like Helm, Communication, Engineering, and Weapon Control.

Artemis is a social game where several players are together in one room ("bridge") , and while they all work together, one player plays the Captain, a person who sits in the middle, doesn't have a workstation, and tells everyone what to do.

Artemis is a software game for Windows XP, Windows Vista, and Windows 7.

Game Download Page

The Demo allows use of Tactical and Helm Bridge Stations along with the Main Viewer, the full version is the same as the Demo plus Science and Comms stations.

Dramacius
(@dramacius)
Senior Chief Registered
Topic starter  

changes for V1.1

Players can choose the name and Prefix Code of their ship

players can target and shoot each other

game doesn't end until all players OR all enemies are dead

When more than one player ship is created, each begins parked next to a different starbase

spaced out some of the starbases so one of them is often in peril sooner than the others

results screen is now more bland, and doesn't show any "score", but is repeated on every main screen

On the science console:

clicking on contacts on the right-side list makes it the selected target for the scanner

now shows hover text on meter bars

anomalies now show up as intermittent blips if they are in the scan field

nebulas now visible

added the bearing to the info displayed about the ship in the side panel

Added slave(client) main screens, so each bridge can have its own main screen

buttons on all stations (but engineering) now allow 4 levels of zoom, plus a toggle between absolute and relative modes

Now in helm, you can click on the screen and have the ship auto-turn to that point

steering UI was moved to left side of helm screen

LRS and tactical now show grid "sectors"

warp hotkeys were added to the helm (keys 1-4). Pressing them again stops warp, as does SPACE

observer client is now working

changed the hull damage indicator to the correct ship outline

fixed it so clicking just off a button doesn't unlock the target in the weapon screen

main screen controls now on comms station too

cosmetic red alert system, with a button on comms

server adjustment for network update tick speed

gave engineering an energy-to-torpedo button, too

added help text to mainOption screens

added F1 toggle help overlay for each bridge station

skybox texture fixed

network code completely re-done for efficiency

Fixed bug where, if in warp when game ends, new game starts in warp!

Removed server test keys for release build

Upgrade available from HERE for use with old client.

Any new downloads of the full version already include this update.

ReplyQuote
Dramacius
(@dramacius)
Senior Chief Registered
Topic starter  

Q. How long has Artimus been in development?

A. About 12 weeks. Of course, I didn't start from scratch. I already had my own engine (using DX9) and a 3D procedural spaceship generator.

Q. How often do you plan on releasing updates?

A. Every 1-2 months sounds right, but I don't want to commit to a more rigid schedule than that. I just released V1.1, about 4 weeks after the initial V1.0 release.

Q. Do you have a development plan of your own (regardless of features your community suggest)?

A. No. I have plenty of my own ideas, but Artemis is a fundamentally social game on any level. Artemis V1.0 was the answer to the question "What if I actually programmed that idea I had 25 years ago?" There's still no back story, no canon, and no vision (other than a star trek bridge). I'm not the kind of game designer that starts with an elaborate back story.

ReplyQuote
Blackthorne
(@blackthorne)
Petty Officer Registered

Sounds like a really fun concept, in an incredibly geeky kind of way. I especially like the captain's role (and his inability to actually do something without the rest of the crew).

It's too bad that I have neither the infrastructure nor the amount of equally geeky friends to give that game a shot.

-Blackthorne

ReplyQuote
Dramacius
(@dramacius)
Senior Chief Registered
Topic starter  

Thats the problem I have, but Thom (the creator) is open to ideas and a lot of people are requesting for it to have an Online only configuration. People have suggestioned putting the view screen as a little popup module on the bridge stations and also as another window that can be pulled out.

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Supreme Dark Emperor Admin

Blackthorne wrote:
It's too bad that I have neither the infrastructure nor the amount of equally geeky friends to give that game a shot.

Haha, this is so true.

And even though that Artemis is mainly an in person social bridge commander style game. I think the ability to play these roles via the network would really open up the game to more audiences. Because like Blackthorne said it's tough just finding the people needed to put a complete bridge crew together (that will take it seriously).

Like the changes list for v1.1 😉

ReplyQuote
Dramacius
(@dramacius)
Senior Chief Registered
Topic starter  

I agree I have the same problem, I am in discussion with one of the other fans of the game to see if we can manage a remote online session. He lives in Sweden I think, I live in the UK. If we can get this to work successfully then there is even more hope than we initially thought.

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)
99 Star General Site Moderator

Does the game have different Scenario or is it just hunt the next ship,also is there any docking at station for resupply.

Looks like it could use some sort story like an episode from a tv series any plans to make an editor so the players can create these stories.

ReplyQuote
Dramacius
(@dramacius)
Senior Chief Registered
Topic starter  

The idea is you make your own Scenarios but the creator is planning on adding a Scenario builder at a later stage of development, as for docking at stations yes that is the primary way of resupplying although you are able to find "energy" as anomalies randomly in space and convert energy into "photon" torpedoes.

The game does have quite an indepth difficulty system where you set how hard the enemy ships fight, how many anomalies there are, how many nebulas, how many stations, the list goes on, I will see if I can post a screen shot of the game set up for you to see for yourself.

[attachment=305:Artemis Setup.jpg]

edit: the main scenario is basically to save the space stations.

ReplyQuote
s2odan
(@s2odan)
Captain Registered

You would most probably be able to play this online by using Hamachi. Thats generally the program to let you play LAN ony games online.

It creates a 'fake' LAN network between any computers with the software, which will let you play any LAN only game over the internet.

ReplyQuote
Dramacius
(@dramacius)
Senior Chief Registered
Topic starter  

yes that is the software we are using currently but the set up of the software doesn't make it easy to play across the net.

ReplyQuote
Dramacius
(@dramacius)
Senior Chief Registered
Topic starter  

Artemis Version 1.2 is now available.

Quote:
Here's the changelog for V1.20.

The enemies are smarter. They'll always form 5 fleets, and advance towards their first station target in a crooked path that avoids

minefields and likes nebulas. They'll stay together, and let stragglers catch back up. They convey more information about what they are

doing in radio signals which the comms station can pick up.

The server setup screen has been streamlined. The difficulty level now sets the enemy beam damage, but also the number of enemies in each fleet.

Every bridge station except Helm has been significantly changed.

Beams and shields now have a "Frequency Channel". The weapons officer can change the beam channel, from A to E.

The science officer can see the frequency distribution of the enemy's shield generator, as a set of 5 bars. The lowest bar is the

weakest frequency, so the weapons officer should set his beams to that frequency for maximum effect.

Torpedos are completely changed. They are much slower and have no max range.

They now come in 3 different types. Type 1 Homing torpedos need a target lock, but then will always

hit the target with great force. Type 4 LR Nuke torpedos launch straight out from the ship,

travel straight until they detect a close enemy, home in, and explode, damaging ships in a large area.

Type 6 Mine torpedos simply fly behind you and become static space mines. The artemis can carry a maximum of 8 Type 1 Homing,

2 Type 4 LR Nuke, and 6 Type 6 Mine.

The Artemis has 2 torpedo tubes, which must be loaded before being fired. The Type 1s need an enemy target lock to fire. The others do not.

Bases have stores of the torpedos, and when you dock, they will re-stock you with as much as they have (up to your max limit). But you can

use all that they have, and they won't be able to give you more. The comms station can now query each base to find out what they have.

Bases make new torpedos, though it takes 2-5 minutes depending on which type they make. Comms can request that they make only a certain type.

The engineering station has lots of new features suggested by the community. The purple buttons now include 'double arrow' buttons

that can maximize or minimize the power settings. Also, if you click on the individual

power circles, you can adjust the power that way. Finally, the number keys on the keyboard can be used to save and restore entire sets of power

settings. To store the current energy settings, hold SHIFT and press a number key. To retrieve that setting, just press the number key.

Two buttons also allow you to trade Mark 1 torpedos for energy, and vice versa.

The science station's contact list has changed. You can now see each contact's distance and direction. If it's an enemy, you can see

how many points are left in its front and rear shields, and if it has internal hull damage. To the left, you can also see it's

shield signal profile. These 5 bars show you which channel of the shield is weakest (lowest). Tell that to the weapons officer so she

can correctly tune her beams.

The comms station no longer has a sensor sweep. Instead, all messages sent anywhere in the sector are omni-directional.

There are no more meaningless messages about "missing the Artemis already". The enemy fleets are smarter, and have more interesting things

for you to overhear.

The new 'Transmit' button in the upper-left is your voice to the game. Click it, choose a type, choose a specific game object, and

choose a statement. The message you assembled will be sent, and you may recieve a reply.

You can tell enemies to surrender. You can tell stations to 1) give you a status report, 2) prepare for docking, or

3) focus torpedo production. Once you ask for docking prep, the station will be more efficient for the next 60 seconds.

You can also send a variety of different messages to other player ships (if they exist in your sector).

FIXED: IF joystick is attached, the warp hotkeys and sliders no longer work. when you use the slider, you have to hold it in place, otherwise you drop out of warp the instant you "let go" with the mouse.

found and fixed bug causing station shields to be very weak

fixed the ability to run up huge energy totals by performing the conversion trick right next to a starbase and docking multiple times

added missiles to science scanner

change torpedo systems power to effect reload speed, not torp damage

server sounds are now audible when the server window is not the active one

the game can now be drug between multiple monitors, IF you do it immideately, before the actual game starts.

I must admit I am very excited about this version of the game. It has a lot of very major and interesting changes.

On top of this the developer has released a Ship Tool for creating your own ships within the game.

Both the update and the Ship Builder can be downloaded from http://artemis.eochu.com/buy.html

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)

Artemis has had an update to Version 1.30

Quote:
Here's the changelog for 1.3:

All new ship art.

All new UI art.

User interface greatly modified.

Ships are now defined in a file called "vesselData.xml". It can be edited.

Many settings are now defined in a user-editable file called "artemis.ini".

Nuke torpedos are now rarer and take longer to manufacture. Player beams have been strengthened. Player shields

now recharge 50% faster.

Helm and Weapons can click on the tactical display, but now the click (to turn the ship or lock an enemy) is

restricted to the rosetta ring.

Taking the upgrade files from the website, and copying them over the free demo, used to work, sort of. That's been fixed.

Asteroid fields are now in the game. They block movement and all weapon fire.

The client setup screen allows people to choose which and how many stations their computer displays. This screen

will let one computer choose to play several stations at once, but Main Screen and Observer are mutually exclusive to

every other setting. If you choose to make your client be a main screen, that ship will appear in game. This system is

a negotiation; two or more clients can no longer be the same bridge station.

In addition to letting you choose the different bridge stations assigned to your client, every client can also look at

a long range scan, and a front view of the ship.

Implemented sensor ranges/fog of war.

Enemy ships have more interesting weapons and weapon arcs. Different weapon arcs are now color-coded.

NEbulas have been added to the helm tactical view.

Game and installer icons changed.

The "get-too-many-torps-at-a-station" exploit has been fixed.

In a multi-ship game, all ships can now easily re-spawn.

If your ship is hit by an enemy, there's now a "shaky" screen indicator, in two types, and you can turn it off.

Torpedos now have a maximum range.

http://artemis.eochu.com/

ReplyQuote
BrianRubin
(@brianrubin)
Senior Chief Registered

Looks awesome!

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)

Artemis has had another update.

Quote:

changes for V1.4

increased 3D view distance.

New mission scripting system, so you can make your own complex missions and share with everyone.

Neutral ships now cross the sector. Your comms officer can order them around.

Enemy elites now threaten you with tough ships and special abilities.

All new music!

The Artemis's shields have been strengthened quite a bit.

Enemy fleets have been changed to be more reactive and aggressive, and to (sometimes) spread out more.

Difficulty level effects have changed. No enemy fleet will have more than 5-6 ships. At higher diff levels, there will be more fleets. Enemy beams now do no more than 5 damage.

Two more settings for sensor strength have been added, for those who REALLY like fog of war.

Plus other incidental fixes and changes.

ReplyQuote
celticfang
(@celticfang)
Senior Chief Registered

Major bump...but...anyone still play this? If so I'd like to join in as I just bought it, I'm good at following orders and creativity....plus, 1.5 is quite good.

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)

celticfang wrote:
Major bump...but...anyone still play this? If so I'd like to join in as I just bought it, I'm good at following orders and creativity....plus, 1.5 is quite good.

I was going to check up Artemis the other day and as usual forgot

Anyhow looks the site had a bit of a face lift and as you say the games up to v1.51

Quote:

changes for V1.51

added code to prevent wierd graphical effects and possible crashing

fixed mysterious server lockup

Added INI setting to turn off joystick support

add INI indirection for all SFX

add vesselData.xml tag for the ship internal data file

fixed problem with players getting stuck in the event horizon of a black hole

added random numbers to variables in scripting

added new command to change systems damage in scripting

Don’t you have to be in the same room to play the game or do they now have some sort internet play. ❓

ReplyQuote
celticfang
(@celticfang)
Senior Chief Registered

You can play it over the net IIRC, the wiki says Vent or TS

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)

Update to Artemis

Quote:

changes for V1.55

Major changes to the look and feel of the Comms console.

Big changes to the engineering console, to make it generally work better and more smoothly.

scripts can now test and set the number of damcon team members

mission level 11

For clients, the IP/URL of the server can now be set in the INI file.

Neutral ships weren't affected by mines. Now they are. A script variable can change that.

Mine art was changed.

Mini-missions has bugs which kept them from paying off. Fixed.

Plenty of new mission script functionality. Please check the mission-file-docs.txt file.

http://artemis.eochu.com/forums.html#/2 ... e-1072229/

ReplyQuote