Notifications
Clear all

Atari to Revive Star Raiders in early 2011

Braindead
(@braindead)
Master Chief Registered
Topic starter  

Looks like Atari is going to remake an oldie. Never played the original though, I wasn't even born when it came out first 😀

30 sec HD promo trialer available here

quoted text found here

Q&A with the senior producer found here

Quote:
Episodic remake of Atari 2600 space combat sim arriving on Xbox 360, PS3, and PC early next year; first trailer inside.

One of the more ambitious games of the Atari 2600 era was Atari's own Star Raiders, a space combat sim that combined a strategic galaxy map with first-person shooting action. Today, the publisher announced it is working on a remake of the classic for the PlayStation 3, Xbox 360, and PC to be released early next year. The reboot was first hinted at by retailer listings in mid-July.

Besides having upgraded graphics, the new Star Raiders will have an all-new, episodic storyline, which may--or may not--involve the Battlestar Galactica-ish Zylons of the original. In terms of gameplay, it will retain many elements from the original, including galactic tactical maps and space warps, but will add new elements such as customizable spaceships and "radical battle transformations."

Star Raiders will also add online play to the mix, allowing players to play through its campaign in co-op mode. The game will also have more standard multiplayer modes, including competitive team multiplayer.

Star Raiders is in development at Carlsbad, California-based Incinerator Studios, the formerly internal THQ shop behind the Cars games and the PlayStation 2 and Wii versions of MX vs. ATV Untamed. For more info, read GameSpot's brand-new Q&A with senior producer Jonathan Moses and Incinerator Studios president Joel Goodman.

DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Supreme Dark Emperor Admin

I was just logging in to post this Braindead and ya beat me to it 🙂

The video and the small Q&A don't really reveal to much about the game mechanics and what to expect. But the video does show off a little of the art style and its not bad at all. Probably will start seeing more videos on this in Dec or Jan. I might actually FINALLY have a space game for my PS3 😯

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)
99 Star General Site Moderator

Excellent new 😀 😀

Let’s hope they don’t screw it up. 🙄

Couldn’t see any mention if will be a DL only or retail as well. ❓

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)

Damn it its a download. 👿

There’s a bit about here http://www.atari.com/node/3660

Radical battle transformations what the hell dose that mean, could mean anything. And don’t like the sound of “captivating episodic experience” one little bit.

ReplyQuote
Geraldine
(@geraldine)
Rear Admiral Registered

Sounds a bit like drip feed content you have to pay extra for. 🙄

ReplyQuote
VinhDucanh
(@vinhducanh)
Petty Officer Registered

Damn! I still got this game and the controller in the attic but don't have a atari 2600 anymore.

Boy does this bring back memories. I was only a kid back then living at home. This was so COOL!

Going way back to the Beginning of the Console/PC wars.

The 2 original Space Sims IMHO

KronisRift = ColorComputer2

Star Raiders = Atari

ReplyQuote
shadmar
(@shadmar)
Warrant Officer Registered

Nice find indeed, PS3 support 🙂

ReplyQuote
CaptainKal
(@captainkal)
Commander Registered

Quote:
Going way back to the Beginning of the Console/PC wars.

The 2 original Space Sims IMHO

KronisRift = ColorComputer2

Star Raiders = Atari

Koronis Rift, if I am not mistaken (A nice remake http://www.brothersoft.com/games/koronis-rift.html ). And you might find an Atari emulator to play it here: http://www.planetemu.net/ .

I bought Star Raiders I & II, with an Atari 130XE, a couple of years ago. Still haven't played them 😀 (Too litle time and the 130 needs some cleaning and fixing).

ReplyQuote
starlord
(@starlord)
Master Chief Registered

Actually, a good remake I can think of would be star rangers for the PC:

http://www.mobygames.com/game/star-rangers

download again? crap! were's the good oldschool retail? 👿

ReplyQuote
CaptainKal
(@captainkal)
Commander Registered

Quote:

Somewhere in this black hole I use for storage 😆 (No really I have the retail version 🙂 )

ReplyQuote
starlord
(@starlord)
Master Chief Registered

What, you mean star raiders remake retail? No kidding?

ReplyQuote
Geraldine
(@geraldine)
Rear Admiral Registered

Here is a tribute site I found about Star Raiders http://www.sonic.net/~nbs/star-raiders/

ReplyQuote
CaptainKal
(@captainkal)
Commander Registered

Quote:
What, you mean star raiders remake retail? No kidding?

I don't think it was a remake. More of an "inspired by" game. And I still haven't played it. I have played the demo only. And yes I have the retail version (Cd and manual only 🙁 ). It was published by Interactive Magic.

ReplyQuote
starlord
(@starlord)
Master Chief Registered

great! it's quite hard to come by: but it's a very enjoyable game... you won't be disappointed 😉

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)

There a site up for Star Rider now, not much on it just some art work and the promo vid.

Annoying DL only. 🙄

http://www.atari.com/starraiders

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)

The first post on this was over 4 months ago and they haven't come out with any new news, screenshots or movies.... nice way to promote the project 😉

ReplyQuote
BrianRubin
(@brianrubin)
Senior Chief Registered

starlord wrote:
Actually, a good remake I can think of would be star rangers for the PC:

http://www.mobygames.com/game/star-rangers

Aaww yeah, I loved this game and actually still own it. 🙂

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)

Darkone wrote:
The first post on this was over 4 months ago and they haven't come out with any new news, screenshots or movies.... nice way to promote the project 😉

Probably been delayed or quietly can canceled.

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)

Oh don't say that 'c' word... I want a space shooter on the PS3 in the worst way and this one would be the first. Plus I think remaking this game if done well will provide an opening to bring back some of the 8bit classics and show them a bit of the 21st century technology 🙂

ReplyQuote
SpaceRider
(@spacerider)
Senior Chief Registered

Great news! "Star Raiders 2" was one of the reasons why I wanted to get an ATARI XL computer and still like to play it even today. However, it has always been a typical ATARI problem that they never really could deliver the product in time which they promoted before. Strange that they did not learn from this.

Anyways, this would be the sign that they are on the right way again when they create good remakes of their legendary games which made them popluar long time before. At least, the founder of ATARI, Nolan Busnell, is working for the company again. So let's hope we can expect a real good game soon!

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)

Interesting to hear that Nolan Busnell is back with Atari, but isn’t Atari owned by some one else who is just using the name for marketing.

IE its not the company we remember from the 1970/80s or even early 90s.

ReplyQuote
SpaceRider
(@spacerider)
Senior Chief Registered

@PINBACK: ATARI is a corporation and brand name. Founded by Noland Busnell 1972 as ATARI Inc., it was bought by Jack Tramiel in 1984 and called ATARI Corporation, then merged with JTS (a harddisk company) in 1996, and 2 years later Hasbro Interactive aquired all ATARI properties from JTS. Infrogrames bought Hasbro in 2001 and renamed itself to ATARI Inc. in 2003. Nolan Busnell returned to ATARI on April of last year and is now a part of the board of directors.

You are right, it is not the company it was from 1972 to 1984, which was the original video console and home computer area (and probably their best time). But it still exists, different to many other home and small computer companies from the age of computer game pioneering works :).

ReplyQuote