Notifications
Clear all

Bummed with Elite Dangerous What else is there?

vision1776
(@vision1776)
Crewman Registered
Topic starter  

I have tried giving Elite Dangerous so many chances but the latest feature addon really got me to quit the game. Im not wanting to talk about it, I am just curious as to what else there is until big titles like No Mans Sky or Star Citizen come out.

I have also tried Evochron Legacy but the graphics are a huge downgrade to the Elite Dangerous graphics. I am willing to give it another chance but I am just curious and wanted to get some ideas from a knowledgeable community. I am mainly looking for space sims or things of that nature. Any thoughts are much appreciated.

McAule
(@mcaule)
Master Chief Registered

X series.

ReplyQuote
vision1776
(@vision1776)
Crewman Registered
Topic starter  

which one?

ReplyQuote
McAule
(@mcaule)
Master Chief Registered

I prefer X3:Terran Conflict and X3: Albion Prelude most. X Rebirth is much better now than before too.

ReplyQuote
vision1776
(@vision1776)
Crewman Registered
Topic starter  

I have TC in my library but kind of got bored after some glitches messed up missions I was doing. Are the others going to have similar problems?

ReplyQuote
vision1776
(@vision1776)
Crewman Registered
Topic starter  

If someone doesnt mind, can they say which one of the X series is worth my time and what mods I will need to install. It would be much appreciated.

ReplyQuote
Geraldine
(@geraldine)
Rear Admiral Registered

There is also Oolite. Although on the surface it may look alot like Elite, due to it's massive library of community content that you can add to the game it has a unique style and feel all of it's own. Its also free.

ReplyQuote
KingHaggis
(@kinghaggis)
Master Chief Registered

If you don't mind an even bigger graphical downgrade try Shores of Hazeron. It may not be what you're looking for since it's not purely a space sim and it can take a while to get into some action. It's more a do-it-all free roaming 1st person Empire building/trading/exploration/fighting sim with spaceships you can design yourselves and then use to travel to other planets or other stars (if you have the technology). Even if you don't have the tech yet, you can reach other stars but it'll take a long time. But while you're underway, you can walk around on your own ship and manage your crews, cargo and controlstations. Or go to your Captains quarters and take a nap. Or go the galley and consume some vegetables that you have loaded up from a farming colony you built yourself. Or go to the ship's recreation room and play a game. Scale is awesome in Shores of Hazeron and there are tons of things you can do: build, prospect, mine, research, trade, send diplomatic messages to other Empires. Though it has many flaws and graphics wise it looks like a game from the 90's, it's honestly the best game I've ever played. Nothing beats working for weeks to finally become a space age civilization, then setting foot on the surface of a procedurally generated planet around a star a few lightyears away from your own "home" where you can explore unique landscapes and even watch unique proceduraly generated creatures going about their things (they may attack you so make sure you come prepared). What other game lets you literally and seamlessly land a big spaceship on a surface, disembark and walk around on foot? Or even take a vehicle with you from your storage bay? And give you the ability to establish a new colony there? And all of that online?

Sad but understandable thing is, it requires a monthly description fee. And it looks very dated, though the procedural landscapes and big colonies can sometimes with a little fantasy be beautiful to look at. The developer is still working on it and is releasing improvements on a regular basis.

If it's mostly action you're looking for, I suggest you keep a very close eye on:

Infinity Battlescape    (looks awesome!)

CDF Starfighter         (looks awesome!)

If you want more 1st person action (most of 'em oldies):

Freelancer

Freespace series

Starlancer

X-Wing

X-Wing vs Tie Fighter,

X-Wing Alliance

Wing Commander series

Strikesuit Zero

Darkstar One

Starforce Rogue Universe

Tachyon: The Fringe

i-War series

The Tomorrow War

Universal Combat

Naumachia (but I think it's dead)

Miner Wars

White Space (I think it's not released yet)

More Trading:

Elite series

Pioneer

Terminus

Hardwar (not in space)

X Beyond series

Wing Commander Privateer

Freelancer

More free roaming:

Freelancer

Elite series

Pioneer

Spaceway Project

Parkan series

Ad Astra

Elite series

No Man's Sky

Rodina

4D Galaxy (I'm looking out for this one, not released yet!)

Limit Theory

Ascent - The Space Game

Dual Universe (Just learned of this one, looks awesome!)

Spaceship Commander games:

Star Trek Bridge Commander

Pulsar: Lost Colony

Flagship (I was REALLY looking forward to this one, but I think it's dead)

More messing around with space related stuff:

Space Engineers

More realism:

Orbiter

Kerbal Space Program (kind of realistic)

2D and 3rd person strategy:

The Urquan Masters

Sins of a Solar Empire

HomeWorld

Alpha Centauri

Nexus: The Jupiter Incident

Dreadnought

Starpoint Gemini

Limit Theory

3D free roaming planetarium:

Space Engine (Awesome! May become a game one day!)

Celestia

Universe Generator

Space/Planet Survival Game:

Empyrion

Project Nomads

And then of course there's Eve Online MMO. And who can forget about Star Citizen?

These are just a few that come up in my mind, I don't like them all but some are great. I wish I could come up with a better list. There are many more titles which I have forgotten or don't feel like mentioning. It's too bad I'm not entirely satisfied yet. I'm still waiting for THE ultimate space game that has it all. Like Shores of Hazeron but with better graphics, better support and preferably without a monthly subscription fee. I can only hope... maybe one day...

Also, there are many skilled programmers on this forum making their own game. Some look very nice, check out the forums.

ReplyQuote
Geraldine
(@geraldine)
Rear Admiral Registered

Quite a comprehensive there there King Haggis.

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)
99 Star General Site Moderator

Big list from KingHaggis but points deducted for not mentioning 3030 Deathwar or Rogue System.

ReplyQuote
McAule
(@mcaule)
Master Chief Registered

You've read my mind PINBACK 🙂

Also, there's some Warhammer 40K titles, Starsector, Astrox, Homeworld series, Rebel Galaxy, SPAZ, DarkStar One, even Mass Effect, Gal Civ, FTL, even SPORE, MoO series, StarMade, Endless Space, Endless Sky, Spaceforce Rogue Universe, StarBound, Stellaris, Distant Worlds, Space Rangers, Star Ruler series, Star Nomad series, Star Wolves series, Unending Galaxy (X series top down type game)... Well basically I could go on and on, but it all depends on your preferences like arcade, rts, rpg, sandbox, top-down, 3d etc etc. 🙂

P.S.

X3 mods are plenty, but IMO must have is LU (Litcube's Universe, a total conversion and a really awesome one) for X3:AP and for X:Rebirth CWIR(Conquest and War in Rebirth) etc. is a must have 🙂

ReplyQuote
nashk
(@nashk)
Crewman Registered

Flagship (I was REALLY looking forward to this one, but I think it's dead)

You are in luck, Flagship isn't dead. The devs released a small video on twitter not long ago showcasing VR tech with their game. It looks great.

ReplyQuote
IronHound
(@ironhound)
Warrant Officer Registered

If you got bored waiting for missions the X series isn't for you friend. Its an open ended game, you do whatever you want. Missions where always just a sideline to the open ended gameplay. Piracy, trading, etc. All of the X series is very similar with the exception of rebirth.

X2 and X3 TC are pretty similar. Rebirth I can't speak for as I havn't played it.

ReplyQuote
natansharp
(@natansharp)
Master Chief Registered

Miner wars is complete?

ReplyQuote
Geraldine
(@geraldine)
Rear Admiral Registered

A game I been having fun with lately is Rebel Galaxy: a bit like Western in space

To me it plays alot like Star Point Gemini but has a gritty feel to it.

ReplyQuote
natansharp
(@natansharp)
Master Chief Registered

Rebel galaxy is cool...a kind of freespace with assassin's creed ship to ship combat system.

ReplyQuote