Notifications
Clear all

Dangerous: a 3D space combat RPG (EVE meets X3)

Page 1 / 6

swiftest
(@swiftest)
Petty Officer Registered
Topic starter  

Hi,

I've been a long-time lurker here, and wanted to announce our upcoming iPad/iPhone game, "Dangerous". (We will also port to Android, Mac, PC, and web very shortly.)

The game's soundtrack has recently been released to iTunes in advance of the game's release: http://itunes.apple.com/us/album/danger ... d461036179

* It features 22 orchestral tracks by virtuoso composer Sean Beeson who has composed for other games like Pocket RPG, Goop, and Mechowars

* Sean and I believe this is some of his greatest work ever

* The music is used through-out the game in space and inside space stations

* You can see the rest of Sean's work at his website: http://www.seanbeeson.com

In addition, we have just completed a gameplay video with actual footage from the game. The footage was recorded from a Mac OS build of the game, but the initial release is for iPad. We're a tiny 2-man studio, and we have been developing Dangerous for over two years on the Unity 3D platform. We hope to release the game soon:

In short, it's something of a cross between EVE Online, X3 Terran Conflict, and a tiny smidgen of Mass Effect:

* single-player 3D space combat & trading RPG with epic and dynamic quests

* completely open universe

* a living universe where ships move around independently of your actions (you can even follow and watch them do their thing)

* we've implemented the core combat mechanics from EVE Online with several enhancements of our own that simplify and expand the game

* persistent storage of your items at all space stations

* can buy multiple ships and configure them each with modules

* comprehensive skill tree

* over 60 modules with 4 tech level variants

* unique ships with special bonuses like ECM strength, remote repair increases, etc.

* recruit permanent wingmen with unique skills and ships by completing epic quests

* can bring one wingman with you wherever you travel

* three damage/resistance types: EM, kinetic, gravitic

* can send recruit up to five corporate pilots and equip them with ships you buy and outfit

* you can send the corporate ships on various trade routes to earn you money automatically

* you can follow these and any of the 600+ ships in the game to watch what they're doing (even if you're not around, the ships are moving around and mining, etc)

* epic storyline quests along with missions from stations and dynamically created quests

* advanced AI with an AI director (like in Left4Dead) to spice up your space travel

* unique following mechanic lets you follow ships through warp and stargates

* many corporations and factions which serve actual useful purposes

* 33 solar systems connected by stargates

* travel inside a system is done via warp

* we have realistically modeled solar systems, and planets are appropriately scaled--they're not just a flat 2D image like with most space iOS games

* beautiful lens flare and explosion effects

* can fly using 3 autopilot modes: orbit, follow, and keep-at-distance

* also have transit autopilots that fly you away or toward stations

* can also fly manually and even turn off inertial dampers so you can fly and aim your lasers backwards

* can fly to asteroid belts and mine with a laser

* the AI Director creates dynamic quests like repair quests for ships that break down

* the repair quests can also be a front for pirates who attack you

* epic storyline is not your typical hero to save the world

* cloud save option will be available on release or soon thereafter

* we're setting up a website at: http://www.whoisdangerous.com

This is the single-player game I've been wanting to play, but haven't found anywhere.

Please let me know your thoughts!

Linh

designer for Dangerous

CaptainKal
(@captainkal)
Commander Registered

Are you targeting Ipad 1 or Ipad2? And when the PC version is coming out?

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)
99 Star General Site Moderator

Very nice swiftest 😎 😎 πŸ˜€

Welcome to SSC and congrat on finishing the game.

First thing I would comment on is the graphics which are perfectly acceptable for mobile market but will you be upping the res for the PC version also the Skyboxs look a bit Tooty Fruity.

The hand drawn pics look great will any of it be animated. ❓

Hope the combat not too much like Eve as in ΓƒΒ’Γ’β€šΒ¬Γ…β€œPoint click waitΓƒΒ’Γ’β€šΒ¬Γ‚Β

Shame there no 3D universe map donΓƒΒ’Γ’β€šΒ¬Γ’β€žΒ’t know if you have a system map, if you have is it 2D or 3D.

ReplyQuote
swiftest
(@swiftest)
Petty Officer Registered
Topic starter  

Thanks for the welcome!

We're targeting iPad 1 and 2. We've worked hard on performance optimization so that it's playable on iPhone 3gs and up devices.

Yes, we're looking for better 3D assets currently and have been searching for a 3D modeler. The PC experience should be much more visually pleasing. Though I gotta admit it was really exciting seeing and playing the game on an old Windows XP laptop with a weak graphics card. The skyboxes do look a bit bright and colorful for space, so that's definitely another area for improvement. No animation with the 2D art I'm afraid. The original planned called for some, but it's was costly and time-consuming to do it in a realistic 3D style. But we do have plans for an interesting if not raunchy use for it in a mini-game. Can't say much more about that now. πŸ™‚

Though we use EVE-like combat mechanics, ours is much more intense and requires active participation. Also remember that you can equip a laser and manually dogfight Newtonian-style with the inertia toggle. Unguided lasers do a lot of damage. Unlike with EVE PVE missions where they throw tons of stupid enemies at you, and all you need is a super tank, our enemies use the same ships and skills as you. It's got more of a PVP feel because you have fewer but tougher enemies who can use ECM, sensor damps, different tanking methods, remote repair, etc. Your choice of wingman also lets you experiment with different ships and tactics. In addition, the missions are diverse and most take place in the "real" game world not some far-flung rarely traveled ruins.

We plan to eventually add a 3D universe map and other features in a continual update process that is now possible in a digital distribution scheme. Also, we had a third-person shooter on-planet and in-station aspect like with Mass Effect, but had to drop it due to time constraints. I'm hoping we can add it back in the future.

Thanks for the feedbacks!

ReplyQuote
CaptainKal
(@captainkal)
Commander Registered

Please consider making savegames compatible between the mobile and the pc versions.

ReplyQuote
swiftest
(@swiftest)
Petty Officer Registered
Topic starter  

In fact, we're working on a cloud save feature that will let you play your saved game on any device: web, mobile, or PC/Mac. πŸ˜€

The web version would require the Unity 3D plug-in, but I hear Unity is also working on a way to build projects purely as a Flash file.

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)

swiftest wrote:
Yes, we're looking for better 3D assets currently and have been searching for a 3D modeler.

There a few guys here who do 3D although I donΓƒΒ’Γ’β€šΒ¬Γ’β€žΒ’t think any of them have posted for a while, you could PM SolCommand here on SSC

viewtopic.php?f=55&t=622

or at his blog.

http://solcommand.blogspot.com/

swiftest wrote:
The skyboxes do look a bit bright and colorful for space, so that's definitely another area for improvement.

DonΓƒΒ’Γ’β€šΒ¬Γ’β€žΒ’t know if possible but I would like games to have an option for the sky boxes, some people do like the Tooty Fruity look other prefer just black. Speaking for myself I am in the middle as I like the Babylon 5 look.

swiftest wrote:
we do have plans for an interesting if not raunchy use for it in a mini-game. Can't say much more about that now. πŸ™‚

"Hot coffee mod" 😯 πŸ˜†

swiftest wrote:
we had a third-person shooter on-planet and in-station aspect like with Mass Effect, but had to drop it due to time constraints. I'm hoping we can add it back in the future.

This is the sort of thing I have been banging on about for years, to have the ability to let the player out of the ship. I think it would just add so much more to the game play. πŸ˜€

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Supreme Dark Emperor Admin

You have a nice game here Swiftest, I like the feature list. People with Ipads probably won't know what to do with all those options and depth.

Hopefully you can work on getting a PC port to this shortly after the Ipad release. Will this also be released on Android as well and hope some of those extra features you had to drop like exploring the surface of planets can return for the PC versions.

In your video the first pic of your wingmen sure looks a lot like Jessica Alba to me πŸ™‚

ReplyQuote
swiftest
(@swiftest)
Petty Officer Registered
Topic starter  

@Pinback: I noticed SolCommand had free models here, some of which were quite nice. Might have to see if he's interested. We are trialing another 3D artist, but there are so many 3D assets needed that additional artists would be welcome though 3D models tend to be rather expensive it seems.

As for Hot Coffee, I want to push the boundaries like what Mass Effect has done for the romancing bits (though they chickened out and made it a cut-scene instead of interactive), but Apple are notorious censors, so something like that might be more palatable on PC. All tastefully done, of course.

An earlier alpha gameplay video shows how far we got with the on foot third person shooter part (not terribly far), but the influences for that part are Mass Effect and X-Com Apocalypse. Would love to allow choice of real-time or turn-based, but we'll see when we find time to finish this part. We're thinking about putting up a project on Kickstarter.com to fund this portion, and possibly some kind of multiplayer add-on. Also seems to be a good vehicle for promotion if nothing else.

@DarkOne: Thanks, the challenge for me as the designer was to make it accessible considering how deep and complex EVE Online combat is. The goal was to reduce menu use, and use contextual buttons where possible. Even still, there's a bit of button bloat. And I'm hoping there are people with iPads who appreciate a deeper game, but I suspect our core audience will come with our PC and Mac releases. At least with the cloud save feature, PC people can take their games on the go with their mobile or tablet.

You're right, that portrait does look like Jessica Alba. Our artist must have been a fan. πŸ˜‰

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)

swiftest wrote:
so many 3D assets needed that additional artists would be welcome though 3D models tend to be rather expensive it seems.

Once you have forum up and running you could always try the Infinity/miner Wars and ask for 3D contributions in return for a credit in the game. Both games seem to have had good response to it and in the case of Infinity theirs still no game as yet.

swiftest wrote:
An earlier alpha gameplay video shows how far we got with the on foot third person shooter part (not terribly far), but the influences for that part are Mass Effect and X-Com Apocalypse.

Instead of FPS on the planet have you considered letting the player wander around the space stations in the game. Couple of games have tried it Precursors (unfinished in it case) and 3030 DeathWar makes a huge difference to the atmosphere when you have to deliver a parcel to some one or talking to an NPC about a contract.

Did you ever consider just having one ship with an Interior. ❓

ReplyQuote
swiftest
(@swiftest)
Petty Officer Registered
Topic starter  
PINBACK wrote:

Once you have forum up and running you could always try the Infinity/miner Wars and ask for 3D contributions in return for a credit in the game. Both games seem to have had good response to it and in the case of Infinity theirs still no game as yet.

That's an interesting suggestion. We're also thinking about using Kickstarter to help us add more features, like multiplayer and perhaps a richer FPS experience walking outside the cockpit.

Quote:
Instead of FPS on the planet have you considered letting the player wander around the space stations in the game. Couple of games have tried it Precursors (unfinished in it case) and 3030 DeathWar makes a huge difference to the atmosphere when you have to deliver a parcel to some one or talking to an NPC about a contract.

Did you ever consider just having one ship with an Interior. ❓

We actually considered both, but even a simple space station interior has complications when dealing with mobile. We have a longish loading period at the beginning, but the game has no other loading screens. I agree that it would make a huge difference in the immersion which is what we're striving for. Even one interior of a ship would be compelling, I think.

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)

Going down the road with just one ship with or without an interior, there still has to be enough options for the player to change on the ship, otherwise it will be become dull rather quickly.

It will be interesting to see what egosoft come up with as they are trying this for the new X game, although for my money Sundog is still the best example of how this can be done and would make a very good base to built on by adding more options.

ReplyQuote
swiftest
(@swiftest)
Petty Officer Registered
Topic starter  

I hadn't heard of Sundog before, it's amazing how many cool classic games are out there besides the venerable Elite! Will have to look into Sundog now. πŸ˜€

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)

There are some good ideas in old games.

What always amaze me about Sundaog is that no one has ever copied it, partially that idea about having shunts for the systems on the player ship.

ReplyQuote
swiftest
(@swiftest)
Petty Officer Registered
Topic starter  
PINBACK wrote:
There are some good ideas in old games.

What always amaze me about Sundaog is that no one has ever copied it, partially that idea about having shunts for the systems on the player ship.

Could you give a quick overview of shunts for the poor souls like me who didn't get to experience Sundog?

By the way, we gave an in-depth interview to iFanzine about our company and the game (which will be submitted to the app store and Android market fairly soon):

http://ifanzine.com/interview-dangerous

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)

The idea of shunts in sundog is it allows the player to make repair to the ship systems, it wont give you full power for that the player still has to buy a replacement part.

The beginning of this video should give you an idea of there use.

Quick question for you is there any smuggling options in the game. ❓

ReplyQuote
CaptainKal
(@captainkal)
Commander Registered

Quote:
Could you give a quick overview of shunts for the poor souls like me who didn't get to experience Sundog?

You can start by visiting the wikipedia page of Sundog. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SunDogGDN_Frozen_Legacy , and then you can also visit Bruce Webster's page http://brucefwebster.com/past-projects/sundog/ . He is the creator of "Sundog". A blast from the past, with a review of the ST version http://www.atarimagazines.com/v5n3/Sundog.html , and finally if you would like a taste of the real thing, you can always visit the "Home of the Underdogs" Sundog page http://hotud.org/component/content/article/39-rpg/21118 . Just make sure to use a better Atari ST emulator (like Steem http://steem.atari.st/ ).

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)

IIRC you need to use tos rom 1.2 in steam to get the game working other wise you get corrupted graphics.

ReplyQuote
CaptainKal
(@captainkal)
Commander Registered

Quote:
IIRC you need to use tos rom 1.2 in steam to get the game working other wise you get corrupted graphics.

I will try Hatari then. Although I need to fix my STE to try the game with a real machine πŸ˜€ .

ReplyQuote
swiftest
(@swiftest)
Petty Officer Registered
Topic starter  

Excellent info, guys. In fact, one of our planned features is to allow targeting of specific modules for attack. Our game already exposes the modules in use by all local ships to aid in situational awareness, so something like a shunt or temporary repair will likely be added as a feature for dealing with destroyed modules.

Never did the chance to play with Ataris since they were more expensive than the Commodore 64 and Ti-994a way back then, so will have to check out that game and simulator after we release our game.

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)

Just remembered the Lightspeed games they did something similar to Sundog shunts might be worth a look as well.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lightspeed ... eo_game%29

It's easy enough to change the setting in steam you just need to go into the option page of Steam, click on Rom and change it to the 1.02 rom

ReplyQuote
CaptainKal
(@captainkal)
Commander Registered

Quote:
Never did the chance to play with Ataris since they were more expensive than the Commodore 64 and Ti-994a way back then, so will have to check out that game and simulator after we release our game.

Even a Commodore 64 was too expensive for me, back then. πŸ˜€ And I had to get a job, for two consecutive summers, just to get an Amiga 500 in 1989. And I was already 19 years old at the time. πŸ˜€ Now I have three of them. And a Atari Mega STE 2, that I got for free from a friend (Unused college equipment πŸ˜† ).

ReplyQuote
swiftest
(@swiftest)
Petty Officer Registered
Topic starter  

Good news! After almost 3 years of development, our game is finally live on the app store:

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/dangerou ... 11190?mt=8

It's a universal build for iPhone/iPad, discounted launch price of $4.99

We also have PC and Mac builds you can purchase directly from our website:

http://whoisdangerous.com/buy.html

Also discounted launch price of $14.99

Android version will come later this week.

If you get a chance to play it, We'd love to hear your thoughts.

Thanks,

Linh

BinaryHelix.com

WhoIsDangerous.com

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)

Congratulation on getting the game out guys. 😎 πŸ˜€ πŸ˜€

Couple of questions about the PC/Mac version, how big is the download and what payment method are you using. ❓

Oh and what control methods are supported on the PC/Mac versions. ❓

Minimum System Requirements ❓

Got any screen shot of it. ❓

ReplyQuote
swiftest
(@swiftest)
Petty Officer Registered
Topic starter  
PINBACK wrote:
Congratulation on getting the game out guys. 😎 πŸ˜€ πŸ˜€

Couple of questions about the PC/Mac version, how big is the download and what payment method are you using. ❓

Oh and what control methods are supported on the PC/Mac versions. ❓

Minimum System Requirements ❓

Got any screen shot of it. ❓

Thanks! It's a been a long development road, and now the marketing begins. Ugh.

The download is about 130 MB and uncompresses to 184 MB. The minimum requirements are very basic. I was able to get it running on an ancient laptop. It has been heavily optimized for the mobile devices (so doesn't need much resources), but looks great at full resolution on today's rigs. I think you'll have to trawl long and hard to find something that can't run the game. I'll try to update the minimum specs just for grins though.

Payment is processed through Paypal. No credit card info is touched by our servers.

You can see the trailer and screenshots (from iPad) at: http://whoisdangerous.com/press.html

The game will scale up to whatever resolution you can throw at it as far as I can tell. Looks gorgeous on my 1920 x 1080 widescreen monitor.

The control methods are primarily mouse with keyboard shortcuts. Manual flight of the craft is done with arrow keys or WASD. I suspect most people will be comfortable playing it with a mouse with the occasional keyboard shortcut, but we'll probably add other options like joystick and gamepad relatively soon. (We'll send email notifications of any updates.)

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 6