Notifications
Clear all

Drifter for PC/Mac and Linux

Page 1 / 6

Pinback
(@pinback)
99 Star General Site Moderator
Topic starter  

I have posted about Drifter a couple times in the mobile forum but now there is a Kickstarter to fund a PC/Mac version of the game.
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/cel ... ading-game

Drifter has been in development for about 8 months now. I'm planning to release it for iOS later this year, but I'd also love to bring it to PC and Mac. That's where Kickstarter comes in. With extra funding, not only will I be able to expand the game to those platforms, I'll be able to make it even better in the process. I'll bring in a 3D artist to help me create new assets and I'll be able to focus on adding more features to the game.

DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Supreme Dark Emperor Admin

I just blogged about that one just last night about the kickstarter 🙂 looks promising.

ReplyQuote
trumpet
(@trumpet)
Senior Chief Registered

Can I fly down to the surface?

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)
Topic starter  
'trumpet' wrote:

Can I fly down to the surface?

No I don't think you can.

ReplyQuote
True
 True
(@true)
Master Chief Registered

A nice little update on Drifter arrived today.

and some more details:

Quote:

To that end, this is what I have planned for the upcoming early build:

• Basic economy. Buy and sell goods and transfer them between systems.
  • 7 ships. A varying selection of ship hulls to choose from.
  • Ship systems. Customize ships with different weapons and support systems depending on how you want to play. The initial list of available ship gear will be relatively small and not well balanced.
  • NPCs. There will be NPCs milling about doing their NPC thing. Occasionally you will be attacked by space pirates.
  • Asteroid mining. You can mine asteroids for potentially valuable ore. Asteroid fields also occasionally contain space pirates looking to mine asteroid miners for potentially valuable ore.
  • Space pirates. Space pirates are jerks.

I'll have more notes when I finally release the build but the UI is incredibly rudimentary right now, basically just the bare minimum to expose the underlying systems in the game and allow someone to interact with them. The UI will be fully realized near the Final Beta push of the game.

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)
Topic starter  

Nice looks like it's coming alone, but he could do with getting himself a website.

ReplyQuote
SolCommand
(@solcommand)
Commander Registered

The game looks sweet !

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)

Drifter is looking better and better every time I see it. Overall though it is looking great compared to a few months ago when the Kickstarter was going.

If I had to give some pros/cons on the video...

Pros

- I like the fact that objects (ore, containers) stay visible to the player

- Missile effects were nice

Cons

- Noticed that player had to use his ship a lot to collide with the enemy to cause damage because targeting was hard because of speed of target and lack of lead reticle

- Too many enemies (this might be on purpose for video), didn't have time to pickup loot

ReplyQuote
ollobrain
(@ollobrain)
Lieutenant Registered

the beta testing apparently is starting up soon so looking forward to that will post as that unfolds some early thoughts

ReplyQuote
voxel
(@voxel)
Petty Officer Registered

Pinged @celsiusgs on twitter, promising unlimited* sales if he weighs in on the discussion here.

* counting on you guys to provide the unlimited part here

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)
Topic starter  

Missed out on the Kickstarter as I could not use it at the time and I don't think they have a PayPal option.

Guess I will have to wait until the game comes out.

ReplyQuote
ollobrain
(@ollobrain)
Lieutenant Registered

still waiting for wabeta, seems to still be bug squashing, looking good so fra

ReplyQuote
True
 True
(@true)
Master Chief Registered

It is now available for some of the Kickstarters

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/celsiusgs/drifter-a-space-trading-game/posts/412205?ref=activity

Have fun playing! =)

ReplyQuote
 Anonymous

Hi!

I've honestly been meaning to post here since voxel asked me to earlier but I've been a teeeny bit side-tracked... That said, I have an account now!

I'm happy people seem to be excited about the game and I'm pretty excited that it's getting closer and closer to a proper release. If anyone has any questions I'll be glad to answer them of course 🙂

As for people who missed out on the Kickstarter, you're in luck! I'll be taking pre-orders through the Humble Store sometime in May which will include beta access o/

Anyway, thanks again for your interest!

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)

Hi CGSColin

Welcome to SSC, I watched all of your videos on your site and none of them seem to cover the trading aspect of the game? Or if you could attain a different ship (other than the one in the videos)?

Also, I offer free forum area to all developers so if you want one you just have to say the word.

ReplyQuote
 Anonymous

Thanks! I'll probably take you up on your offer around when I start the pre-orders (oh and I'll be starting a Greenlight campaign at the same time :))

The trading is pretty straightforward so I really haven't covered it in the early videos. A few of the people on the beta have put together some videos which show more here: http://celsiusgs.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=473 (It is pretty early in the beta so please excuse the rough edges!)

The game is going to feature 15-20 ships at launch, each with customizable equipment slots so people can tweak their favorite ship for different roles if they like. There are already 7 in the beta and 5 more being worked on right now.

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)
Topic starter  

Welcome to the forums CGSColin will be keeping an eye out the Humble release.

How big will the download be and do you have any plans for a disk version of the game.

ReplyQuote
 Anonymous

I'm not 100% sure of the final size because there are quite a few assets to be added but I'm thinking no more than 1 GB and probably closer to 500 MB.

As for a disc version, I will be mastering discs for the "Collector's Edition" boxed set for Kickstarter backers but I don't know how much demand there might be otherwise. Maybe I'll have to run a poll to gauge interest when I'm closer to doing that 🙂

ReplyQuote
 Anonymous

Hello all!

As promised I have returned (I've been lurking, promise!) to inform you that Drifter is now available for pre-order (with beta access!) and is up on Greenlight as well!

The pre-order page is here: http://celsiusgs.com/drifter/preorder.php

And the Greenlight page (including a new trailer featuring 2 new DannyB tracks) is here: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=136694267

Cheers and thanks for your support!

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)
Topic starter  

Nice one CGSColin 😎

Bit of a problem with paying through paypal as it seems to the US only one.

Just had a listen to the two music tracks on the steam page like the first one not so keen on the second one.

ReplyQuote
 Anonymous

Just wanted to bump this because it's the weekend and ask folks to go vote for Drifter on Greenlight if they get a chance: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=136694267

We're just about at 20% of the way to the Top 100 which is awesome but we need to get the word out to keep our momentum up. Thanks to everyone who's already voted, pre-ordered and Kickstarted you're the best <3

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)
Topic starter  

After a bit of fiddle with PayPal I gave up and used Amazon payments instead and it worked first time.

Just download it and no problems with getting the game up and running, just getting to grips with the controls. do like the radial dial.

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)
Topic starter  

Spent a brief couple of hours with the beta Drifter so a few quick thoughts about the game.

The game 2.5D much the same as Starpoint as you fly on a plane but it's a lot easier to control your ship also has a Newtonian flight model, ie you accelerate your ship forward and you will keep flying in that direction until you turn around and accelerate in the other direction.

3D starmap of the Galaxy and the local system 😎 which can be rotated and zoomed in much the same as the old Frontier ones.

Like to see some more info on the maps maybe some overlays which would show the games empires boundaries and major trade routes.

Also it would nice at some point to be able to use the cursor keys to rotate and zoom on the maps as I could not zoom out (think I have a broken mouse wheel).

Menus on the stations did not realize at first that their was a lot more items if you scroll down, changing the scroll bar colour or just adding some up/down arrows would help.

Also displaying how much cash you have more prominently.

Did not have much a go at the combat yet just the odd pot shot at a couple of passing ships one of which took the bait and fired back, had a bit of shooting match with that one until it hit an asteroid and blew up.

ReplyQuote
 Anonymous

Thanks for checking the game out PINBACK and thanks for the feedback, it's much appreciated 🙂

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)
Topic starter  

Interesting bit on Gamasutra  from Collin Walsh, not so much about Drifter but about trying to get it green lighted on Steam.  http://www.gamasutra.com/blogs/ColinWalsh/20130724/196909/Steam_Greenlight_What_To_Expect.php Looks like they have to rack up some big yes vote to even get anywhere near a release on Steam.

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 6