Notifications
Clear all

Egosoft's TNBT = X: Rebirth ?

Torric
(@torric)
Petty Officer Registered
Topic starter  

Omg, please let it be a very very very late April's Fool... please...

http://www.deepsilver.com/en/game-view/ ... x-rebirth/

So, fifth time the same game in a row? Recycling to infinity - and back, and back, and back again. Yeah, i rage 😉

€dit: realized the majority here wouldn't be able to read a german link^^

Pinback
(@pinback)
99 Star General Site Moderator

viewtopic.php?f=44&t=482&start=90

I repeat it’s Darkstar 2. 😆

ReplyQuote
CaptainKal
(@captainkal)
Commander Registered

Quote:
I repeat it’s Darkstar 2.

Good. As I said in a previous post I liked Darkstar. 🙂

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Supreme Dark Emperor Admin

I thought I would kick off my blogging with my first gaming post http://spacesimcentral.com/?p=155

Egosoft has an opportunity to reach a broader market of gamers and I hope they do seize it.

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)

Well as an impartial judge of Egosoft past X games. 😆

I would like to see them have a hit with this as might encourage other to do some thing better.

But I can’t say I am too impressed with it so far.

Quote:
Enter a young adventurer and his unlikely female ally

Yup another brat from space academy some real original thinking there Egosoft. 🙄

Quote:
a truly unique space saga that will keep them hooked for dozens of hours

I doubt that it will be unique more likely the usual story about a space brat who return home to find his dog has been killed by space aliens, and he just happens to have been left a ship. He then embarks on an epic quest across the galaxy upgrading his ship as he goes to reek terrible vengeance on dog killing aliens. About 20 hours. 🙄

ReplyQuote
Torric
(@torric)
Petty Officer Registered
Topic starter  
PINBACK wrote:

I doubt that it will be unique more likely the usual story about a space brat who return home to find his dog has been killed by space aliens, and he just happens to have been left a ship. He then embarks on an epic quest across the galaxy upgrading his ship as he goes to reek terrible vengeance on dog killing aliens. About 20 hours. 🙄

Don't forget to mention that 16 out of the 20 hours consist of waiting for the fluxillions of materials to be produced/bought by your AI stations/freighters, so you can proceed with the text popup story....?

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)

Torric wrote:

Don't forget to mention that 16 out of the 20 hours consist of waiting for the fluxillions of materials to be produced/bought by your AI stations/freighters, so you can proceed with the text popup story....?

😆 😆 😆

Lets have a look at some of these other features.

Quote:
It gets personal: Character-driven UI and a living and breathing universe

More of being told it though the south gate and anything would be an improvement over the dull immersion of the X universe.

Quote:
It gets fast: Fun and fast travel with new transportation systems

No jumpgate or will be some sort of Freelance style gate.

Quote:
It gets big: The most detailed X universe ever

More than a few station and asteroids in each systems

Quote:
Endless room for exploration

Sounds like Elite maybe 2000 system.

Quote:
Easy to learn - hard to master

Dull game play

Quote:
Gameplay, controls and UI are redesigned from scratch

More menus.

Quote:
action-packed space combat

That will be the day.

Quote:
detailed trading mechanics

Micro management, to keep the Fanboys happy.

ReplyQuote
IronHound
(@ironhound)
Warrant Officer Registered

Eh. I have never had a problem with the X series. Do I play them religiously? Hell no. Its at least more entertaining then EVE in the long run. (Cheaper too.)

I for one, am excited. Say what you will about being unoriginal, but the young adventurer cliche WORKS. It helps explain the universe to the user. Also, fast travel makes me happy. If its how I envision it.

To be frank, we have too little details to work with beyond broad generalizations. I'll reserve judgement for more info.

ReplyQuote
Torric
(@torric)
Petty Officer Registered
Topic starter  

Well, i am not a fanboy, but i play the hell out of X3:TC atm. The main problem i have with this game is the UI: it seems to be made to be the most complicated ui EVER. In any non-retarded (and even in most retarded) strategy games, i need only 2 clicks to order a unit from A to B. In X3:TC, i need like 10? clicks for this very same basic order (or the equivalent amount of pressed hotkeys).

Not even starting about OOS combat... yeah.

Anyway, we'll see what egosoft really has in store with this game come April 28th.

ReplyQuote
Grimm
(@grimm)
Senior Chief Registered

I had really hoped that every new X part would get better but egosoft dissapointed me every time till now. If they are going to make something like X4 i have little hope for this game. I would be so happy if they manage to include a real action based combat system at least but they failed at this task in every episode of the X serie. A interesting story would be also something completely new....

It's sad, Egosoft has the money and they are willing to produce space sims but the results are... hm... at least not to my liking but i have other expectations in a interesting free form space sim.

ReplyQuote
Brianetta
(@brianetta)
Commander Registered

I love the X universe. It's pretty, it's slow... I can really relax into it, and enjoy being aboard my space ship. That's why I helped to make it, back when it was still basically X2. Now, though, it seems that it's more pretty, more complex, but still basically the same thing.

In any case, I only latched onto Egosoft because Frontier Developments weren't busy meeting my addiction. I've been an X player since Beyond the Frontier, and before that I had all the rolling demos, right back to the original one for Glide with the really dodgy MIDI music. Back then, I assumed it was vapourware, much like Elite 4.

Anyway, Egosoft's games are nice, but they left me behind in the hardware requirements department long ago. When I got my complementary copy of X3, I couldn't even play it. The computer I had back then has only just been replaced, but it's too late... I don't use Windows at all any more.

Pioneer was the shot in the arm I needed. All the Frontier I crave. X was like methadone for me; I don't need it any more, because heroin is back on the menu, and this time it's free.

There's a place in my heart for X, but it's that nostalgic place where I keep things that are now in the past.

ReplyQuote
Geraldine
(@geraldine)
Rear Admiral Registered

Brianetta wrote:
Pioneer was the shot in the arm I needed. All the Frontier I crave. X was like methadone for me; I don't need it any more, because heroin is back on the menu, and this time it's free.

😆 One of the most bizarre and funny posts I have read in a long time. Welcome to the PRO-toxification space sim clinic Brianetta! 😆 Just keep taking your space sim medicine and all will be fine, but watch out for withdrawal though 😯

ReplyQuote
IronHound
(@ironhound)
Warrant Officer Registered

I like the X series. Its one of the few mainstream successful space sims. Say what you will, but it MUST have an audience if they are rolling 5 games deep. 🙂 There is something to be said for a sandbox.

I will probably purchase the game. Ive always enjoyed the X series.

*EDIT*

I take it back, its not really a 'space sim'. But an interactive universe. The individual parts may be sub-par, but the whole is just satisfying enough to keep one coming back.

ReplyQuote
SuperG
(@superg)
Senior Chief Registered

IronHound wrote:
I like the X series. Its one of the few mainstream successful space sims. Say what you will, but it MUST have an audience if they are rolling 5 games deep. 🙂 There is something to be said for a sandbox.

I will probably purchase the game. Ive always enjoyed the X series.

*EDIT*

I take it back, its not really a 'space sim'. But an interactive universe. The individual parts may be sub-par, but the whole is just satisfying enough to keep one coming back.

It's a space trading combat build and exploring game and much more.

But not a sim.

It anything but mainstream. the UI repels mainstream crowed who don't take the time to go trough a manual

To make it mainstream they must do a complete overhaul of the UI system from scrated with a expert on it.

I even did post about it on the dev section on egosoft forums a while ago.

ReplyQuote
Gargantou
(@gargantou)
Petty Officer Registered

I definitely classify the X-games as a sim, so does MobyGames which is a great site.

If one can call FreeSpace 2 for a space sim, then there's no reason one can't call the X-series for it either.

ReplyQuote
SuperG
(@superg)
Senior Chief Registered

PINBACK wrote:

Quote:
Gameplay, controls and UI are redesigned from scratch

I hope this is real.

The largest problem with this game are the menu system.

ReplyQuote
lair360
(@lair360)
Petty Officer Registered

Hey! I've seen the trailer and I've watched it like... 35 times already! I can't just get enough of it!!!!

Egosoft, finally... you are re-designing the engine! In other terms, you BETTER have multi-core support + CrossFire / SLi support!! If you don't, then you are crazy playing this sort of game with a single core like "X3 Terran Conflict" were there is a lot of BUGS and SLUG! That is right... it only utilize 1 CORE!! Now pull your finger out and take advantage of technology... FOR ONCE!!

Now.. I will need to buy more parts and get my machine / hardware ready for this game. Nevertheless... lets slap in Ati 6990 series. That will do the trick with my beloved intel i7 3.0GHz edition.

ReplyQuote
SuperG
(@superg)
Senior Chief Registered

Well I think there next one will be a 64bit supporting game as there current one brakes the 32bit application barrier of 2GB.

A sophisticated SMP enable game. I don't expect.

It's not a large dev house wich can pump out a Hogh level licencable game engine worked out and optimised and polished.

So my expectation are more budged resticted.

I think they would use the easy implementation of SMP and support 64bit

Hope for DX10 or even DX11 support.

Better native DX10 and higher.

BEcaue that DX9 path means extra work and limits the DX10 features.

With a bit decent SMP support I hope they can put in more or better worked out AI.

So my primary hopes are.

First A new well thought out User interface system.

Second SMP support use for better AI that fits this genre better.

3th A more fully data driven game engine. With no hardcoded game mechanics.

4th Work out the existing game formula out and give it enough polish at least a finished feel.

Secondary.

A DirectX 11 game and even better a native one no DX9 support.

A 600M frigate to 5 km carrier can use some high detailed Testalation.

Wenn I played X2 for the first time. I did a Topgun movie flyby passed a Titan. That was so cool.

Imagine what a extensive high lodlevel testalation feature could do with that.

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Supreme Dark Emperor Admin

I would only hope for DX9 to be dropped. DX9 had a long life but needs to be retired. DX10 itself is just about 5yrs old itself and DX11 came out when Win7 came out. Egosoft wants to do a X rebirth and they should definitely start with the graphics and AI.

ReplyQuote
lair360
(@lair360)
Petty Officer Registered

DarkOne wrote:
I would only hope for DX9 to be dropped. DX9 had a long life but needs to be retired. DX10 itself is just about 5yrs old itself and DX11 came out when Win7 came out. Egosoft wants to do a X rebirth and they should definitely start with the graphics and AI.

Some older generation games will need DX9. Therefore, it's difficult to stop developing or dump it. Also, 3D modelling for learners, they still use DX9. It's easier for beginners. So... why dump it? DX10 / DX11 is a lot harder to utilize and takes longer to develop...

ReplyQuote
SuperG
(@superg)
Senior Chief Registered

lair360 wrote:
DarkOne wrote:

Some older generation games will need DX9. Therefore, it's difficult to stop developing or dump it. Also, 3D modelling for learners, they still use DX9. It's easier for beginners. So... why dump it? DX10 / DX11 is a lot harder to utilize and takes longer to develop...

Vista and W7 have backward compability by offering

DX9.0L So older games Dx9.0 and higher will work.

Dx10 hardware is already decent mainstream stage.

There was a time that DX9.0 restricted windowsXP powerd DX10.0 hardware. using the raw power of dx10 hardware to do dx9 stuff.

One gen and two refreshes gone by. Since 8800 of nV. The acient G80 GPU

Dx9 means aiming at dated previous maintream wich not only people who sticked on windows XP but still uses Dx9 hardware. In current time this would be non gamers or casual gamer. Now IGP are DX10 or higher.

Dx10 wich is bound to Vista where Ms did a major kernel or aplication layer overhaul for directX also with a new driver model. So the difference, from vista and Dx10 and up to the privious XP and dx9 and what did bcome befor that, is large and not only the extra features.

But the way directx is used.

Wich in result the API is much cleaner so easier to use then older.

Large bulk of feature must be supported by hardware vendors vs total freedom to previous hardware vendors. No device cap.That's a good thing. So no check for can it do it, no the only variable is at what performance.

So what means using dx9 yes you reach a even very large PC audience nice if you go for gameplay. But space game is just like race car game base on beautifull object wich just demand eyecandy. unlike games like Nintendo franchises and spore like games.wich can do with extreem abstractions.

This means if you want stand out and reach large audience you must code 2 different path the dated but difficult dx9 and the more for devs accesable dx10 and up.

This DX9 path also limits the extensive use of new features at a larger scale. It restrict the optional dx1x.x path.

My first DX10 hardware is wenn R600 was released a HD2900 and 8800GT runing crysis on Vista 64bit long time ago.

Checked it out june 2007.

PS3 was just out in the Benelux.

4 years almost a console lifetime cycle as main target platform.

A bit gamer has at least dx10 hardware. most of them a win OS that can use it.

ReplyQuote