Enemy Starfighter/House of the Dying Sun

Page 1 / 3

MV2000
(@mv2000)
Warrant Officer Registered
Topic starter  

http://www.enemystarfighter.com/

Features so far:

• Classic STARFIGHTER COMBAT puts you in the cockpit and offers a visceral way to affect the outcome of each strike.
  • The PLANNING PHASE allows you to precisely coordinate your strikes for maximum impact on heretic dens, capital ships, and convoys.
  • A PERSISTENT FLEET gives meaningful consequences to your decisions while allowing you to customize your engagement style by using captured or reinforced ships.
  • A DYNAMIC CAMPAIGN means different systems will fall to the Empire during each playthrough.

DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Supreme Dark Emperor Admin

Looking really good so far. 

In that planning phase, could you just give some orders and then sit back and be a spectator or do you always have to fight? Will this be a multi-platform release?

ReplyQuote
MV2000
(@mv2000)
Topic starter  

Eh? I'm just sharing some news from SpaceGameJunkie anyway, not the game developer 😛

ReplyQuote
SolCommand
(@solcommand)
Commander Registered

I like it, has a "Homeworld" feel to it.

ReplyQuote
NevilClavain
(@krakoukass)

Quite impressive, but why making the space so yellow ?

ReplyQuote
SolCommand
(@solcommand)
Commander Registered

I guess it's a just a matter or preference. I really don't have a problem with it, afterall as I said it really reminds me of Homeworld (which I simply loved) and their yellow / orange space background.

ReplyQuote
NevilClavain
(@krakoukass)

Indeed I suspect the dev to be a Homeworld 2 fan  😆

ReplyQuote
Dalkeith
(@dalkeith)
Senior Chief Registered

I think the trails are great give a real feeling of speed

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)
99 Star General Site Moderator

Outstanding cockpit sound effect in this game and the combat not to shabby either.

ReplyQuote
 Anonymous

The description reminds me a lot of Starshatter.

ReplyQuote
MV2000
(@mv2000)
Topic starter  

Yeah, the first thing comes in my mind is Homeworld meets Starshatter.

And the ship design doesn't looks bad anyway.

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)

Couple of small update vid from ES.

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)

Little update from the site about the game http://www.enemystarfighter.com/2013/01/15/post-prototype-update/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=post-prototype-update

After you make a prototype, there’s usually a bunch of loose ends you need to tie up to push through to full production. Enemy Starfighter is no exception here. A lot of my time over the last month has been spent fortifying things under the hood to make it easier to create content moving forward. Some examples include:

• Better AI debugging functionality
  • A better target selector routine for units and Unity editor for tweaking it
  • Refining my Unit classes
  • Making a cleaner menu-to-mission cycle that lets me run a fleet through different challenges
  • Save/Load for the player’s fleet that can even be dumped to a web server
  • Excel-to-ScriptableObject importer for weapons and units
  • Better random-generation scripts that let me create deterministic setups for units

This kind of stuff isn’t what we call the “fun part” of making a game, but it’s nevertheless crucial (and still interesting). I’ve never been formally trained in programming so a lot of my time is spent learning and researching. As a side effect, I’ve gotten pretty good at reading other people’s code and understanding it.

I am stoked to have a lot of this stuff out of the way!

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)

Another update about speed http://www.enemystarfighter.com/2013/01/25/dev-video-fighter-speeds/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=dev-video-fighter-speeds

This is a super interesting problem. For as limited as the scope of the game is in some ways, I am trying to resolve a lot of tricky issues with space combat. Scale is one of them. I’ve increased the speed of the fighters for a couple reasons:

• Faster speeds feel better. I’ve been watching and playing the game for a while and sense of speed is incredibly important. Bumping this up makes the fighters feel much faster than everything else on the battlefield which is awesome. You’re important. Fighters should feel badass in a game about starfighters. There’s a danger because the old speeds could just be getting old to me and I am fixing something that isn’t broken, however!
  • I have been working on capital ships lately, and I want them to do more than just be a backdrop while they slug it out with other large ships. Increasing the speed of the fighters means these become more meaningful obstacles and cover. It also makes the fighters feel more dangerous to larger ships, so much that the only way to adequately deal with them is to send fighters of your own after them. In the context of this game, it’s probably fine.

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)

New update about enemy AI in the game. http://www.enemystarfighter.com/2013/02/22/new-ai/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=new-ai

These improvements will make YOUR experience with the combat more interesting. The AI react much better to you, to each other, and to communications, making for a more immersive experience.

Like the new pilot chatter and sound effect very BSG like. 😎

ReplyQuote
SolCommand
(@solcommand)
Commander Registered

I don't think this guy realizes just how cool his game really is 🙂 

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)

Another update showing some animated GIF of one of the cap ships being destroyed and reticle.

http://www.enemystarfighter.com/2013/03/28/quick-update/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=quick-update

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Supreme Dark Emperor Admin

I really like that large ship getting attacked in that first gif. I really like the colors the dev is using as well.

ReplyQuote
MV2000
(@mv2000)
Topic starter  

Is it me or the capship design REALLY resembles Hiigaran capship design? O_o

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)

Update http://www.enemystarfighter.com/2013/06/27/terrain-generator/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=terrain-generator#!prettyPhoto

Here are some random shots from the terrain generator. There’s nothing super crazy about it, but it’s fun to feel like you’re entering a new area with every battle.

Along with generating a palette for each system, I now add fog to every scene to help you judge distances better. The HUD and cockpit are also getting iterated upon heavily thanks to feedback from my testers, providing you with more useful information where you need it. There are new enemies and abilities for the player too.

There’s still a lot to do, but everything is coming along. I’ll also have some cool stuff to announce soon.

starfighterpic_zps079c531c.jpg

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)

New vid up I think

Game going to be at some thing called Pax on the 1&2 of September http://enemystarfighter.com/

ReplyQuote
SolCommand
(@solcommand)
Commander Registered

This game has a perfect style !

Also I suddenly feel the urge to replay all the Homeworld games ... again.

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)

It looking very good and you have to wonder when we will be hearing news of a release or a Kickstarter for the game.

ReplyQuote
Straker
(@straker)
Senior Chief Registered

I love it.

Does it have any other gameplay other than combat?

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)

Probably only a combat game.

New update to the blog http://enemystarfighter.com/ more on the blog about Rift.

PAX was amazing, and nothing helps you make your game better than a 100+ player focus test. Some players knew what to expect, others had no idea about the game beforehand, only seeing a chance to try the Oculus Rift. 

I promised I'd write up an article about some of the techniques I used and things I learned. Most of this is purely anecdotal, but hopefully some people find it useful.

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 3