Notifications
Clear all

Everspace

Page 1 / 4

Pinback
(@pinback)
99 Star General Site Moderator
Topic starter  

New space combat game from the maker of Galaxy on fire http://everspace-game.com/

Not saying much about it on the site.

ROCKFISH is offering you a chance to be involved in our new project EVERSPACE a rogue-like PC space shooter with top-notch visuals and audio and a captivating non-linear story.

Also will be running a kickstarter soon.

Looks pretty standard from the video and not much different to what we have seen 50 times before although it may have one thing going for it if it turns out to be more a sandbox shooter than a level one.

ExpandingMan
(@expandingman)
Warrant Officer Registered

Ooh, that's looking nice.  I like how they have ripped off the No Man's Sky color palette.  I also like the idea of it being a rogue-like.  Hopefully we'll get a lot more detail when they do their kickstarter.  My experience with UE4 so far (Unreal Tournament!) has been fantastic.  It's so silky smooth and gorgeous I absolutely love it.

I played Galaxy on Fire after picking it up for dirt cheap in a Steam sale.  I had known it was a mobile port, so my expectations were extremely low.  I was very pleasantly surprised, and quite enjoyed the game.  (I think the low expectations were a big factor, but I think whatever way you cut it, Galaxy on Fire was pretty great for a mobile port.)

ReplyQuote
Bouitaz
(@bouitaz)
Senior Chief Registered

Looks good. A bit too bright for space but that's just me nitpicking.

I love the fact that you can play from a third person person chase cam view.

I'm buying it just because of that. Well, that and Galaxy on Fire 2.

(One of the three space sims I've actually finished, the other 2 being Freelancer and Escape Velocity Nova)

(Oops, four. I forgot Tachyon - The Fringe)

Even though I said I'd buy it I would still like some more info, if only to whet my appetite beforehand.

ReplyQuote
auryx
(@auryx)

Looks excellent, thanks for the spot Pinback. Isn't it great that there are so many new indie space sims in the works these days? I remember the dark years where pretty much all you could find online was VegaStrike....!

I still find it fascinating how everyone has different taste for these things. Personally, I could never play any space sim that enforced third-person chase cam 🙂 I just hate it, it removes all the realism and makes it feel like you're playing some kind of kids' arcade game.....and yet obviously other people love this perspective 🙂

auryx

You look good through a crosshair.

ReplyQuote
ExpandingMan
(@expandingman)

Personally, I could never play any space sim that enforced third-person chase cam

I don't know what it is, though it's probably a consequence of growing up with X-Wing, TIE Fighter and Privateer, but to me playing anything resembling a space-sim in 3rd person seems like the most audacious possible heresy.  I even played Freelancer from first person.  I know it's completely irrational, but I was secretly ecstatic when Elite Dangerous did not initially include any type of 3rd person option whatsoever.  (I suppose it's ironic that I played EVE for years, but EVE is essentially a cap ship simulator, so it doesn't really count.)

From a slightly more rational perspective, in space sims there is generally no reason whatsoever to block half your screen with a picture of your spaceship.  Not being able to see what your ship is blocking is often a real problem.  Admittedly, I suppose it is occasionally nice to get to see an external perspective (just for fun).

Anyway, I'm happy Everspace has both modes, and they both look gorgeous.

ReplyQuote
Bouitaz
(@bouitaz)
Senior Chief Registered

Personally, I could never play any space sim that enforced third-person chase cam 🙂 I just hate it, it removes all the realism and makes it feel like you're playing some kind of kids' arcade game.....

I would play that, if a bit grudgingly. I don't like things being enforced either.

Everspace seems to go the golden route of focused single-player with optional first/third person cam and possible eventual multiplayer.

I would never ever play anything enforcing a first person view though.

I just can't stand feeling constrained and restricted.

I'd like to imagine that the technology has advanced so that you are not limited to just your cockpit view.

That would feel anachronistic and take me out of it.

Nano/femto-tech could easily make miniaturized computers and cameras that report the health of your ship and it's near-space while translating that into a holographic view whilst protecting the pilot from anywhere within the ship.

News of Elite Dangerous and Star Citizen filled my heart with immense joy and then sadness as I learned they would enforce a first person view.

Lets not mention online only stuff either..brrr.

ReplyQuote
auryx
(@auryx)

That's a very interesting perspective on it (no pun intended). I hadn't thought that chase-cam view might actually be more realistic for the future - but it's a very good point!

Yeah the online-only thing with Elite annoyed me too, as well as the push to get it to console instead of adding planetary landings and more ships. I can see they have to make money, but it left a bad taste in the mouth. Oh well, fortunately we have lots of other space sims to look forward to! 🙂

auryx

You look good through a crosshair.

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)
Topic starter  

Looks excellent, thanks for the spot Pinback. Isn't it great that there are so many new indie space sims in the works these days? I remember the dark years where pretty much all you could find online was VegaStrike....!

Aye it's fantastic to see so many new games and that a lot of them are pushing what can be done in this genre and not just rehashing what went before.

As for Everspace I think the jury may be out until we know about it although I'm hopping it may be sandbox style game and was that bit in the video an internal docking or just flying through a bit space junk?

No leading target reticle which I always think is a bad thing for a space combat game and I'm also guessing that the joypad will be the default controller for this game.

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)
Topic starter  

Just been having a trawl through the Steam threads http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/discussions/486215755

Looks like keyboard & mouse are the default control.

The minimum controls will be K+M but we hear you and we will address gamepad controls in our Kickstarter campaign as well. Just spread the word and get more gamepad pilots on board 😉

Hotas maybe a stretch goal.

Thanks for bringing this up. We will address HOTAS support in our Kickstarter campaign. If there are enough people backing for that we will include it in the final game.

No muliplayer again possible stretch goal.

We are pitching EVERSPACE as a single-player game at its core but we will address the mulitplayer subject in our Kickstarter campaign starting August, 6th. Stay tuned.

Not the same universe as GOF.

Well, we don't have the IP rights to GOF anymore so it won't be the same universe. But sometimes it is just a great opportunity to start from scratch. This time we had much more time to put deep thoughts into our lore, the characters, the plot and the setting. Of course, we don't want to spoil anything yet but eventually you will tell us if we did it right!

ReplyQuote
ExpandingMan
(@expandingman)

Hmm... making the HOTAS a stretch goal will certainly piss a lot of people off.  On the other hand, the video evokes memories of Freelancer, and people have been clamoring for a spiritual successor to that for a long time.  (For any who don't know, Freelancer was very mouse oriented.)

As for me I've been much preferring the mouse lately (Elite Dangerous is my main space sim for the moment).  My biggest problem with HOTAS right now is that they seem somehow sub-optimal for 6DOF.  So, at the moment it doesn't bother me at all if they only support mouse.  

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)
Topic starter  

Think it's going to be a JASS game (Just Another Space Shooter) rather than a sandbox space trader although they did mention resource gathering in the video but it may just be picking stuff up from destroyed ship as well as chipping away at some asteroids as shown in the video.

Looking at the screen shots on the web site I see what I thought was some sort of docking in the video looks more to be just a bit of space junk which you fly through.

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)
Topic starter  

And Everspace Kickstarter is a go https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/rockfishgames/everspace looking for 225 thousand Euro.more details on the kickstarter.

In EVERSPACEâ„¢ we take a more action-focused approach to the core gameplay of a space shooter and combine it with a modern, rogue-like game loop taking you on a challenging journey through an ever-changing, yet beautifully crafted universe full of surprises.

Each run will be exciting as you will have to face completely new situations. Your skills, experience and talent for improvisation will be tested continously. By this we keep each part of the game long-lasting and generate lots of individual, meaningful moments for you to experience.

... FULL OF SURPRISES

The goal of the game may sound simple: Reach your destination. However, with every new attempt you will face all new challenges as the route to your destination and the obstacles you must overcome vary each time you play.

When you start a run, a new course to your destination will be plotted so that it is very unlikely that you will encounter the same setting twice. To survive you will have to adapt to the circumstances at hand:

• Use different tactics when dealing with enemies - cloak your ship and sneak past or attack all guns blazing?
  • Gather resources for much needed repairs in the local asteroid belt or hunt down well-guarded traders for their precious supplies?
  • Explore the mysterious nebula visible in the distance with unknown consequences or stay safe and head straight to the space station for refueling?
  • Investigate cosmic anomalies and stellar bodies (wormholes, comets, derelict ship wrecks) or don't bother and jump to the next system?

Obviously as an EVERSPACEâ„¢ pilot you need to deal with lots of decisions during your journey. Each and every one will affect how you experience your personal quest to the ultimate goal. Because of this no EVERSPACEâ„¢ run is like any other. Ever.

ReplyQuote
ExpandingMan
(@expandingman)

Ugh. 225k is really ambitious.  I don't think they are going to make that.

Also the words "deeper narrative experience" fill me with dread.  When will people learn that narrative in storytelling is terrible in 99% of games.  Hell, it's terrible 50% of the time in the 1% which do it relatively well.  

Otherwise, looks charming.

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)
Topic starter  

It's a doable target if they churn out the updates every few days otherwise it will probably hit x amount in the first week then do little till the last week of the Kickstarter.

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)
Topic starter  

Doing really well as they are over  the €150K mark already and still have 25 days to run.

couple of new vids out.

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Supreme Dark Emperor Admin

I really want to see more of what you can do when your not in combat... there was one video in the kickstarter of the ship using lasers to cut up an asteroid that looked great actually and was wondering if that was the mining process?

Game definitely looks great and seems to play well in the videos, I don't see why this would fail kickstarter, they are about 74k away from meeting the goal and they have 25 days left so its really doable at this point. I probably won't jump on this and I will wait until it is on steam to see what people think.

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)
Topic starter  

Seems to be more about collecting resources for crafting items than any sort of mining, according to the latest video update it more a 3D FTL game than a sand box space trader.

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)
Topic starter  

Dev blog 3

And if they want to rise more funds post or pre Kickstarter then wheres the PayPal option.

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)

Nice to see this get funded, I think their stretch goals could have been better. I think controller support should have been higher on the list, but looks like they will make the first goal of linux and mac support.

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)
Topic starter  

Over the goal and the first stretch goal in the bag as well and not far off the second one.

Big news is they finally have a PayPal option, check the website.

ReplyQuote
ExpandingMan
(@expandingman)

I'm very glad to see them blow past their goal.  I was worried when they started to slow down about a week ago.  I of course, don't really back kickstarters, because I don't really see how it would benefit me personally (which makes me more than a bit of a hypocrite) but I am very happy to see other people provide the initial capital for the games I want to play.

I'm still waiting for a spiritual successor to Freelancer, I think a lot of people are.  I don't think this will be that, because it's rogue-like, but if we are very lucky it might fill some of the hole left by Freelancer, and I quite like the idea of it being a rogue-like besides.  

I think it's also very telling that this has done so well without HOTAS or controller support.  

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)
Topic starter  

Definitely no Freelancer more of a 3D FTL clone without the crew.

Have gone in on the space doggie tier.

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)
Topic starter  

Bit late posting this, about 2 days.

And I think they also hit their 3rd stretch goal.

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)
Topic starter  

Update from Everspace through Kickstarter. https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/rockfishgames/everspace/posts/1431253 being wondering what they have been upto.

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)

The visuals looks great (dang backdrops look amazing) and I definitely understand the issues with website expansion and integration. I have always struggled with this because I see new tech that I could use with the site but porting over the content would be a nightmare.

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 4