Notifications
Clear all

FELIX Vast - An Indie Starfighter Combat Game

bytefluent
(@bytefluent)
Crewman Registered
Topic starter  

Hello Everyone, 

FELIX Vast has been in part/spare-time development for well over a year. Space combat and dogfighting are fully functional. Lately I've been working to make the game highly moddable (via easily accessible python scripts).

Please take a look and let me know if you think it looks interesting. I'm happy to answer questions and take feedback. There are some videos on the site. I hope to get a playable version of the game available for download soon.

Thanks for looking!

screen_14_1_31_11.png?format=500wscreen_14_2_1_1.png?format=500wscreen_14_1_31_7.png?format=500w

Pinback
(@pinback)
99 Star General Site Moderator

Welcome to the forums Bytefluent.

Looks to be pretty fast from the videos although the ship models are basic, do you intend to replace the ship models later. Also are you going for a story or any other feature or is just a straight forward combat game.

ReplyQuote
bytefluent
(@bytefluent)
Crewman Registered
Topic starter  

Glad to be here.

Looks to be pretty fast from the videos although the ship models are basic, do you intend to replace the ship models later.

Yeah all of the ships are built with placeholder components for now. I plan on having a collection of modeled and procedural geometry pieces for use in a ship builder. That way people can make ships the way they like. Gamers familiar with X-Wing and TIE Fighter will probably see that some of the ships resemble Assault gunboats.

Also are you going for a story or any other feature or is just a straight forward combat game.

I plan on making a story with at least a few campaigns. That system will also be open to letting players easily create their own campaigns and mods. I'd also like to implement an "open galaxy" mode with resource collection and exploration.

Thanks for the questions!

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)

The open galaxy mode sound interesting as story driven combat games always tend to be a bit linear.

Have you thought about incorporating it into the main game and allowing the player to do the resource and exploration between the main story missions.

Could be done as alternative missions given by someone one the command ship.

ReplyQuote
bytefluent
(@bytefluent)
Crewman Registered
Topic starter  

Have you thought about incorporating it into the main game and allowing the player to do the resource and exploration between the main story missions.

I have. I like the ideas of mining and salvage as ways of getting new components for weapons and ships. I can see the player engaging in this to improve their ships when they hit a story mission that seems too difficult. 

ReplyQuote
bytefluent
(@bytefluent)
Crewman Registered
Topic starter  

I have a pre-alpha available for download! I'd love some feedback so take a peek and let me know!

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)

Just had a quick look, first thing I would say is what are the controls I found the W key for weapons and the T key for target can't find the speed keys unless it the mouse scroll wheel, mines not working?.

ReplyQuote
bytefluent
(@bytefluent)
Crewman Registered
Topic starter  

Some controls are listed here:  http://www.felixvast.com/early-prototype-webplayer

F9 - Take screenshot

Thanks for trying it out!

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)

Great explosion on the enemy ships, the way they break apart. 😎

Couple of points I would say is that the keyboard control are spread out a bit, would it not be better just to use the default WASD key layout for the weapons ect and the speed controls remapped to the Z,X or A,Z keys.

I found the holographic image of the enemy ship a bit hard to tell how much damage was being done to it. Maybe by adding the shield/armour ring as in this example from Privateer 2 would give a better example of how much damage you are doing to the ship.

Special_1997_16_Privateer_2_The_Darkenin

ReplyQuote
bytefluent
(@bytefluent)
Crewman Registered
Topic starter  

The key controls are currently a very small subset of what X-Wing series games supported. I set them up that way just cause it was quick and familiar to me. The game will eventually have completely configurable controls 😀

As for the hologram. I totally agree. That's something I'm working on at the moment. Ships can have multiple damageable components and shields, so I'm trying to make a system that'll let you see one critical part of the ship is damaged, so it makes sense to direct fire there.

Elite: Dangerous has a nice example of an updated version of the Privateer indicator. It's a little too simple for what I'm planning. Anyway, I'm still working on it.

Thanks for playing and the feedback. I really appreciate it.

ReplyQuote