Clear all

First Law: A space sim designed for the Oculus Rift

Page 2 / 2

ryan
 ryan
(@ryan)
Petty Officer Registered
Topic starter  

The first station exterior is fully modeled and in the game! Here's a render from Alex to show it off. Super happy with the work he did, and now he's on to making the second flyable fighter.

wspAs1M.jpg

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)
99 Star General Site Moderator

Looking good 😎

ReplyQuote
ryan
 ryan
(@ryan)
Petty Officer Registered
Topic starter  

Shot a new video tonight - shows off the finished space station, the reworking of physics to be a more newtonian(ish) style model, toning down the atmospheric stuff to not be so crazy, and reworking the lighting/colors on the ship interior to be a bit more consistent. Hope you like it!

ReplyQuote
SuperG
(@superg)
Senior Chief Registered

Wenn I think of a occulust rift combat optimized game.

I think of the latest jetfighters. With split second important hud info in helm . A cockpit with a extreem open view. Could look up to backwards.

In my opinion the whole target isue is followed and handled with the pilots helm. Less split minut info is mastered in the dashboard cockpit. Example for longrange missile attack or stike bombing.

Occulust Rift give you very wide view and it replaces the look around hatch switch on a Joystick.

Accualy the occulust rift is HID = human interface device that mimics the pilot helm.

Hud elements make even more sense and is even much more emersive.

ReplyQuote
ryan
 ryan
(@ryan)
Petty Officer Registered
Topic starter  

With the current rift technology reading text that isn't dead center of the screen is incredibly difficult which limits some of the things we can successfully do with the HUD in the short term. I've chosen displays because we can compartmentalize information relevant to a task (check my status or ally status, check target status, check mission objectives, check radar) and we can place that screen in space so the player can look directly at it to make it as readable as possible.

The rift does give us a (relatively) wide view but at the cost of a low overall resolution. This should improve with future versions but I have to make the game work with what we have now.

ReplyQuote
ryan
 ryan
(@ryan)
Petty Officer Registered
Topic starter  

Our second ship is finished!

Introducing the Kamakiri - a nimble fighter that can run circles around some of the bigger ships.

YuuJIz9.jpg

ReplyQuote
fluffyfreak
(@fluffyfreak)
Captain Registered

All these updates are great, the new station looks good and I like the new fighter.

How do you find the new newtonian drifting physics to affect the feel of the flying? I was reading that the EVE team found the player got nauseous if they allowed the ship to change speed but if they kept it fixed then everyone seemed to cope much better. I've noticed it myself in a few programs too.

ReplyQuote
ryan
 ryan
(@ryan)
Petty Officer Registered
Topic starter  

New build! You can download the new version of first law at:

http://rjevans.net/firstlaw

What's New?

A bunch!

First, here's how it's looking:

And here are some of the new features:

• First pass at mission support! There’s now a simple mission you can playthrough that has a scripted set of events.
  • Newtonian’ish physics (inertia with velocity caps)
  • Afterburners & Shields
  • Lots of new readouts on the cockpit monitors
  • Initial pass at a pilot body
  • Awesome docking bay/hangar to launch from
  • Config tool for controller support
  • Testing with multiple controllers (thrustmaster hotas, saitek x-52, logitech 3d extreme, xbox controllers)
  • 4km diameter space station to fly around
  • New asteroids, new asteroid explosions
  • Around a dozen reworked sound effects
  • "Look" based UI system for selecting objects and dismissing text windows
  • Can now select friendly/neutral objects as targets (stations, waypoints, etc)
  • Reworked rates of turn, speeds, firing rates

I'm really happy where the game is at for only being the second public test build, and hopefully you all have as much fun with it as I do. 

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)
99 Star General Site Moderator

Looking damn good 😎 although I would say drop the pew, pew laser sound effect for some thing a bit more meatier sounding.

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2