Notifications
Clear all

If you could only have ONE space game, what would it be?

Page 2 / 2

sydjanus
(@sydjanus)
Petty Officer Registered

I'm torn!!!

I loved the seedy, gritty feel of Privateer 2 "The Darkening", and have come back over and over trying to get it working properly over the years. Still haven't finished it, it's a pain to get running for me. I've been meaning to write a post asking for tips about that, actually...

I also always come back to EVE online. I beta tested it before release, and have loved it ever since. If you could take Mass Effect 2 elements and moosh them into EVE, with a little free sand box privateer flavor, I'd probably never leave the keyboard again.

Fun thread!

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Supreme Dark Emperor Admin

Priv2 got bashed a lot when it was released but playing through it all a few years back I enjoyed it a lot the FMV scenes I thought were great http://www.youtube.com/results?search_q ... eer+2&aq=f and hey they got Christopher Walken to play in Priv2 🙂

I have yet to play ME2 but I will buy it for my PS3 in Jan when it is released. But I am liking ME1 so far and EVE would be an excellent game if it was open sandbox and had more up in your face action.

ReplyQuote
cultist
(@cultist)
Master Chief Registered

Frontier,until Infinity comes out.

For the same reasons as the other players named.

Can't believe its 2010 and FFE is still the best space sim out there.

ReplyQuote
ridefixer
(@ridefixer)
Crewman Registered

Silent Death ............So simple yet so addictive.

ReplyQuote
Stardreamer
(@stardreamer)
Warrant Officer Registered

Pioneer.

Yes, I know, it's still in development but already it's more exciting to me than it's illustrious progenitor (or FFE), my previous list-topper. An easy to play, gorgeous looking, highly moddable update/homage of the very best space game ever made? A thousand times YES.

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)

Stardreamer wrote:
Yes, I know, it's still in development but already it's more exciting to me than it's illustrious progenitor (or FFE)

Even in a Alpha state Pioneer is shaping up to be a very polished project. Give this game two years more development and mods and it will be a great game indeed.

I know Infinity has a kick ass engine behind it and billions of systems to explore and will probably reign supreme, but as of right now Pioneer is free and with the quality that is being injected and the community grabbing hold of of it, it will only get better.

ReplyQuote
doomdark64
(@doomdark64)
Petty Officer Registered

Infinity online ,when it gets going, or pioneer now if it would stop crashing lol.

ReplyQuote
slayniac
(@slayniac)
Crewman Registered

I wanted to say Freelancer first but then I realized that X3R/TC had a lot more play time. So if I had only one space game to play it would definitly be that one.

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)

doomdark64 wrote:
Infinity online ,when it gets going

Can't wait for this one myself, the I-Novae engine is a amazing piece of work, now it will be interesting how the universes get populated and what you can do in them.

doomdark64 wrote:
pioneer now if it would stop crashing lol

Well in time, it is on Alpha 5. Which from a few months ago it is a huge step forward and a few great members are already creating models for the game so it can only get better.

slayniac wrote:
then I realized that X3R/TC had a lot more play time

That it does and with the 3.0 patch getting released soon it should really be an epic time sync 🙂 The new X-Superbox was just released and it includes all the X games that will work on all modern PC's and X3TC was updated to v3.0 and of course a bunch of custom mods were included.

ReplyQuote
shadmar
(@shadmar)
Warrant Officer Registered

It's hard to choose, but I spent alot of hours in Elite2 in the old Amiga days. But more recent games I really loved the Homeworld and Cataclysm games. Too bad Nexus 2 ended in a tech demo, beacuse Nexus was an awesome game.

I don't know might have to stick to the old Elite2. 🙂 I don't like coloring in the Evochron games, it's not natural.

ReplyQuote
Ambrosius
(@ambrosius)
Senior Chief Registered

For me, it's Jumpgate (the original). The graphics are "meh" but the flight engine is superb. I stray to other things from time to time, but I never really leave Jumpgate.

ReplyQuote
Grimm
(@grimm)
Senior Chief Registered

Thats a really hard choice. So many gems out there...

I know i'am only allowed to choose one but i have to choose in two categories. If it comes to a linear military space sim it is Wing Commander 3. I think i played it hundred times and it never gets boring. Of course Freespace 2 have a much better combat system but Wing Commander 3 and 4 wins when it comes to story and overall atmosphere.

For freeform, freelancing spacesims i would chosse Privateer or one of its remakes. I think this game and Privateer 2 consumed most of my space sim time. X3 and Freelancer may have better graphics and more gamplay options, but they had never the charm of the characters in the Wing Commander universe. And i love Kilrathis! 😉

Darkone wrote:
Priv2 got bashed a lot when it was released but playing through it all a few years back I enjoyed it a lot the FMV scenes I thought were great http://www.youtube.com/results?search_q ... eer+2&aq=f and hey they got Christopher Walken to play in Priv2 🙂

Clive Owen was also great as Ser Lev Arris in Priv 2!

ReplyQuote
 Anonymous

Mix of Starshatter: The Gathering Storm and Nexus: The Jupiter Incident.

ReplyQuote
Voiddweller
(@voiddweller)
Crewman Registered

Space Empires IV or V. Great gameplay and modding potential.

ReplyQuote
LadynightShade
(@ladynightshade)
Master Chief Registered

wing commader, i hear there might be a remake in the works would be nice if it weas true 😮

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2