Notifications
Clear all

Limit Theory: An Infinite, Procedural Space Game

Page 7 / 8

Cody
 Cody
(@cody)
Captain Registered

AE are talking the right way, but as you say, it remains to be seen whether anything will come of it.

Josh may want nothing to do with it, of course. AE's latest post is here, btw.

Oolite Naval Attaché

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Supreme Dark Emperor Admin

I am just surprised that no one can get in touch with him, the devs do seem genuine in their comments. If I was Josh I would give it another try, why not....It's a job, plus something you poured your life into for a few years can actually be completed to hopefully his vision. I hope he goes through with it, he will definitely have a community of players behind him. I am sure he probably regrets walking away from a dream he had, but here is a opportunity to make the dream come true again.... 🙂  But to @d-c-elington point I am sure having other people hijacking your vision in a way could ruin that dream, I guess I would come back depending on the control over the direction of the game. But its up to Josh now 🙂 

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)
99 Star General Site Moderator

I think their might be an important question that needs to be asked and that is why Limit Theory, after all Steams early access is littered with dead and abandoned games. If you are dev with money, would you not be looking at something which had already be in playable state rather than complete unknown.   

ReplyQuote
Cody
 Cody
(@cody)
Captain Registered

Posted by: @sscadmin

I am just surprised that no one can get in touch with him...

I'm not too surprised, tbh - he's been kinda elusive lately.

Why Limit Theory - something unique about it, perhaps?

This post was modified 4 years ago by Cody

Oolite Naval Attaché

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)

Posted by: @cody

Why Limit Theory - something unique about it, perhaps?

Yes it was 5 or 6 years ago, but not so much nowadays.

ReplyQuote
Cody
 Cody
(@cody)
Captain Registered

The Limit Theory forum has closed its doors to new members. I think a few diehards hang out on Discord.
Still no sign of Josh or the promised source code, of course - ho-hum!

Oolite Naval Attaché

ReplyQuote
Geraldine
(@geraldine)
Rear Admiral Registered

@cody Have not posted on there in a long time. I think it was in Josh's "The End" thread. Didn't know about the Indi devs showing interest. I guess nothing came of it. What a shame, LT could have been great. 😔 

The Discord server has gone quiet too.
https://discord.gg/Ww6AU85u

This post was modified 2 years ago 2 times by Geraldine

ReplyQuote
CaptainKal
(@captainkal)
Commander Registered

Another 15 euros, down the drain!!!!!!! 🙄 

ReplyQuote
Cody
 Cody
(@cody)
Captain Registered

Posted by: @captainkal

Another 15 euros, down the drain!!!!!!!

What's €15? A good cheeseburger? I never invested in LT - something about Josh made me hold back. "Wait and see", I thought. Shame I didn't apply the same thinking to Braben and ED - £100 down the drain there! At least he delivered a game, I suppose.

Oolite Naval Attaché

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)

Same here feel I wasted over a £100 on ED, as I recall I think the LT Kickstarter started about half way through the ED one, which was the reason I did not back it. 

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)

Yeah the talk on some indie devs bringing LT to life again was all based around getting the source code, which I don't think happened or we would have heard something since that chatter was 2+ years ago. I didn't buy in early on LT or ED .... guess SC scarred me a little from getting early access games haha

But it is really a shame about LT its tech Josh build was really cool and would have been nice to see it completed in some sort of way .... why not release source if your just abandoning it and walking away... its the least you could do for the people that gave money

ReplyQuote
Cody
 Cody
(@cody)
Captain Registered

See here for the source code and farewell.

Oolite Naval Attaché

Geraldine liked
ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)

So it finally appeared, maybe some one or group will take up the challenge and try to make something out of it.

Also I would say that this gives the guy some sort of closer.  

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)

I do hope some individuals take up the code to see if they can salvage it and put something together slowly. It looked like in videos a few years back Josh had some decent concepts in place... unless it was like scripted to look like there was more complete than there was.

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)

For some strange reason the files would not download on the computer but downloaded fine on the phone.

Anyhow decided to install the demo on my old windows 7 computer and it all up and running, now anyone know if that video about the controls is still available or what the controls are.?

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)

Video was still on the YouTube channel.

ReplyQuote
Geraldine
(@geraldine)
Rear Admiral Registered

Obsidian Ant gives his thoughts on LT.

ReplyQuote
Cody
 Cody
(@cody)
Captain Registered

Dust and rocks! It seemed like all Josh's demos and screenshots were full of dust and rocks!

Oolite Naval Attaché

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)

"Greatest space game never made" that's a bold statement.

As I have said before I don't think their was any game, it's just a collections of parts that he worked on or he was interested in but had no frame to hang it all from.

This I think was his biggest mistake in that their was no basic game, but I would guess the source code will tell the full story if anyone works on it.

This post was modified 2 years ago by Pinback

Cody liked
ReplyQuote
Cody
 Cody
(@cody)
Captain Registered

Yep!

Oolite Naval Attaché

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)

@pinback I never got to play with any of the demos/builds of the game, it was worked on for what like 4-5yrs before active development stopped. Those tech videos Josh put out on youtube always looked good so I always took his word for the stability of the game. It would hurt a little to know that he may not haven't even been close to any finish line. 

Here is hoping there is enough 'core' features there for some devs to create a community project out of it.

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)

He did say in the post when he put up the source code and early demo of the game, that features are missing from the source code.

Would be interested to know if anyone has taken a look at the code and what their thoughts are about it.

ReplyQuote
Geraldine
(@geraldine)
Rear Admiral Registered

@pinback 
Well, there is a project coming together on this Discord channel Limit Theory Redux. Here is a link:
https://discord.gg/RFxkKa3j

Pinback liked
ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)

Good to see someone might be doing something with the code, I don't use discord myself so I will have to wait and see if theirs any sort of announcements. 

ReplyQuote
Geraldine
(@geraldine)
Rear Admiral Registered

Well, I do know there was a lot of very talented and capable people in the LT community. Now that they have something to work with, they could very well create something special out of it. Time will tell. 😉 

ReplyQuote
Page 7 / 8