Notifications
Clear all

looking for a geo political space simulator

TheEnternational
(@theenternational)
Crewman Registered
Topic starter  

Hello everyone,

I am a glad new member of SSC and hoping to be pointed in the right direction. In particular, I have been considering playing space sims lately and am looking for a specific type; a group political space sim. I have played computer and video games for most of my life and enjoy very much the look and playability of a well developed project. With that said, I would prefer a good looking game graphically that has a heavy focus on politics or faction relations. I ask this because I will be transferring into an International Relations major soon and would like to experience a realistic space system. I'm most interested in seeing something similar to what the actual politics of space in reality are like. Although I would not mind a fantastical adaptation.

Lastly, I need an educated opinion on Elite:Dangerous and Star citizens. What is good about these simulators and are there any others of similar or better quality?

Thank you,
-Ryan

TheEnternational
(@theenternational)
Crewman Registered
Topic starter  

Mod, please delete last name

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Supreme Dark Emperor Admin

I couldn't give much insight to diplomatic type games because I generally stay away from them (because they kind of bore me).

I haven't played Elite Dangerous yet since I am waiting to see where it all goes because they game changed a bit of the direction from the kickstarter for me. But that game does have some nice graphics and it has been doing well and Frontier Developments are continuing to update the game.

Star Citizen is what I am itching to play, I have already purchased but my system cannot handle it on high settings. From what I have played thus far I think I am going to love it (especially when Squadron 42 is finished). I think playing Star Citizen will be best done with a controller or flight stick. I thought the mouse and keyboard was a bit sloppy (but the game is still in alpha). I have high hopes for this game because of the various ships that you can move around in and have your friends play in them with you. So this adds a great immersion factor that you don't see in many games. I think SC is the most ambitious game and if RSI can pull it off gamers will just throw money at them for quite some time.

Youtube has a ton of videos on both Elite Dangerous and Star Citizen I would spend an hour watching some to get an idea in what your in for, there is especially some nice Elite vids that go over gameplay. Elite is released and SC is in alpha.

Welcome to the site and I fixed your name for ya.

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)
99 Star General Site Moderator

A geo political space sim and a online one, at a guess the only one that may fit would be Eve.

ReplyQuote
Faceof
(@faceof)
Petty Officer Registered

A Geopolitical space sim game can be but is slowly developing from only 1 dev and is the Ascent - The space game...

http://www.thespacegame.com/

http://forum.thespacegame.com/

Cheers... 🙂

Faceof... 😎

ReplyQuote
Gunbladelad
(@gunbladelad)
Master Chief Registered

Freelancer had something of a basic political back-story to it, and the older Elite games have both official and fan fiction covering the various political factions.

Long story short, the Elite series has 2 main political groups - the federation & the Empire.  There's also (in First Encounters) a coalition of independent systems.  Naturally that's not counting the unlawfuls and alien species.

For Freelancer, there's Liberty (based on the USA), Rheinland (19th century Germany), Bretonia (Victorian-era Britain) and Kusari (shogun-era Japan).  Most of the story covers a subversive take-over of the various governments from another species, although Rheinland is the main antagonist faction visible for most of the game.

ReplyQuote
MV2000
(@mv2000)
Warrant Officer Registered

So, Xenocracy then. It may looks odd (more like UN peacekeeper space simulator) but it's probably the closest thing to the first thing you requested, albeit old (and crap).

http://www.mobygames.com/game/xenocracy

Another one but not exactly a simulator (more like "you control your ship point & click style like those isometric RPGs") per se but it has functional diplomacy and gameplay similar to a 4X game

http://store.steampowered.com/app/348490/

ReplyQuote
TheEnternational
(@theenternational)
Crewman Registered
Topic starter  

Thanks so very much to everyone who has made all of these great reccomendations. SSC obviously has some very helpful and intelligent members. I will be sure to look into all of these games.

ReplyQuote