Notifications
Clear all

looking for good game....

OddJoe
(@oddjoe)
Crewman Registered
Topic starter  

Hey all,

I have been playing freelancer (tryed all the mods and everything). However I am looking for something a little better. I am looking for a space sim that you can walk around in....can let other players dock with your battleship, has driffent faction like freelancer, is multiplayer (even if you need a mod to play the multi-player). I would just get star trak online, but my computer can't handle it. I have a 32 mb & 64 mb video card....so anything that was out like 2004 or before, but still has good graphfics...I have been looking all over and can't find anything. This would be a game for me and my clan...thanks in advance...

DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Supreme Dark Emperor Admin

Try the Earth and Beyond emulator. That would be the closest to what you are asking for in my opinion second would be Parkan II (but has no MP). Star Trek Online does have those features but you are right you will need to upgrade to actually have it playable for you.

Welcome to SSC OddJoe and have fun in the forums.

ReplyQuote
VinhDucanh
(@vinhducanh)
Petty Officer Registered

I've been playing EnB (Earth and Beyond) and still love it even after all these years. Very active Developers !!!

http://enb-emulator.com/index.php?app=portal

I noticed a comment about Parkan 2 but didnt see a link so here it is.

http://pc.ign.com/objects/679/679525.html

I never heard of it but i will have to check it out.

ReplyQuote
MrPeanut
(@mrpeanut)
Petty Officer Registered

I don't want to start a new thread for a similar question. If I have a few hours to kill tonight would I be better off with the quick and easy download purchase of Evochron Legends or trying to find a copy of Freelancer? On-line play would be nice but is not required.

Or should I stick with glFFE or FFE3D? I find I am already getting a little board because of the lack of interaction. (Will there ever be a space sim with persistent NPC's with modelled personalities and objectives? Even a 2 or 3 axis personality would do...)

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)

Well download the demo of Evochron Legends (think you get 60+ mins) and try Free Orion http://www.freeorion.org/index.php/Main_Page (might get a more current version compiling the latest SVN). You could try Taikodom the MMO (it's in the forums). There is just so many 🙂

ReplyQuote
MrPeanut
(@mrpeanut)
Petty Officer Registered

I guess I should be more specific. I dislike 4X type games. What I really like are games that give the feeling of being in space. Oddly enough glFFE still fits this bill, even with dated graphics, because it is so vast and has simulated orbital mechanics. Counter-balancing this need to the "spacey" feeling is the desire to not always be alone. There should be some areas with NPC activity of sorts. This was one aspect of HardWars I really enjoyed, all the NPCs slaving away trying to make a go of it.

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)
99 Star General Site Moderator

Have you had a look at Terminus Mrpeanut

http://vvisions.logical.net/terminus/

I think you can find a download for it on the Elite games forum.

ReplyQuote
MrPeanut
(@mrpeanut)
Petty Officer Registered

lol. didn't play a damn thing. ended up figuring out how to compile glFFE and fix the autotarget bug. why? because my laptop can't handle FFE3D and I wanted to play in front of the television.

For details see here: http://groups.google.ca/group/alt.fan.elite/browse_thread/thread/fe0334e062e8ced0/f0520cc73b686a28?hl=en

I only compiled the patched version for nic's mod version, but would like to make it available for download here on SSC. I don't want to keep the spoils for myself alone.

ReplyQuote
OddJoe
(@oddjoe)
Crewman Registered
Topic starter  

Hey all, I am still looking for a good game. I got a new computer thats alot better and can handle just about anything. I would just play STO but don't have the money for the monthly fee. So if anyone has any suggestions it would be great. Even if its just a mod of another game...

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)

What style of game do you like?

Evochron Mercenary just came out and should play and look great on the new PC.

ReplyQuote
OddJoe
(@oddjoe)
Crewman Registered
Topic starter  

I am looking for a game like freelancer, but that I can walk around in. You know just stretch my legs and what not. Walking around the ship would be awsome, but if not then at least walking around on the ground...Something with good graphics as well.

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)

The Precursors or Parkan II are the only games I can think of that have this. I know EVE Online will have walking on stations coming soon.

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)
99 Star General Site Moderator

Universal combat you cant walk about on the ship but you can walk drive around the planet,and it free from the 3000ad site.

ReplyQuote
s2odan
(@s2odan)
Captain Registered

X3 + Xtended mod are pretty good, except for the fact that there is no realism at all where space is concerned.

But you will have far more interaction with other entities than in Frontier. But you deal more with organisations not individuals.

This also has ship docking, ships can dock to other ships. You can buy a carrier or board and steal one, hire some pilots and they can dock there, you don't need pilots you can just use ships AI but pilots are better. Theres no walking around inside though.

You can build stations, even build custom mega stations which are all linked together. Build a station that takes up an entire sector. You can build your own ships, weapons and just about everything. Or you can just trade for them.

The trading part of the game is the best I have ever seen. Real tactics pay off. Starve a sector of freighters and watch the prices rise, kill off competitors to set the price on your chosen product.

Normally I set up a massive illegal goods complex selling SpaceWeed and other things, that can make a killing as well as make you enemies which makes the game more fun.

As great as all that sounds though, the game can get pretty boring. But to a new commer its probably going to stay new and fresh for a lot longer.

ReplyQuote