Notifications
Clear all

Need a programmer and modeller for game.

Madtoaster55
(@madtoaster55)
Petty Officer Registered
Topic starter  

Hi, I have had this idea for a game in my head for a while now, and I was wondering if anyone here would be able to help me (No pay sorry, I have something called parents 🙁 ) with it. It will be a space exploration game, with no (maybe some if I can think of away to make it suitable for the game) combat, but with extremely in-depth exploration. You start off in the Sol system, Earth has started to colonize nearby planets, and need captains to find new colonies for them to settle. This is where you come in. You start of with a small space vessel, with a pilot (Takes care of autopilot), a sensors manager (Takes care of scanning planets/asteroids/anything else you may encounter, and a science officer (Who basically can tell you about certain aspects of the game, think basically an encyclopaedia, telling you about types of planets, phenomena and other parts of the game, but not all subjects are available at the start, you have to discover them first 🙂 ). You can head off to other star systems (Or explore Sol if you want) and scan planets/ asteroid belts (or fields) for any particular resource or rare items (Which will give off strange energy signatures). You can then send off a shuttle (Which you pilot) to explore the planet up close, and pick up items like biodata (animals and plants) and rare items (Alien artefacts and parts from other crashed explorers), and you can also set down a beacon where there are a lot of resources, saying to set up a new colony here (You can drop these in asteroid fields for a mining station) . After this, you can return to Sol to the space station there, and give in your research/ viable colony locations. Your performance gives your RV (Renown Value) which you can spend on upgraded scanners, better radiation shielding (So you can go closer to certain stars),atmospheric shielding (You can go to planets with denser atmospheres) heat shielding (Obvious what this does) and many other helpful items. If the colony site you pointed out is viable, (Amount of resources there reaches a certain threshold) a colony will be set up there (You can visit it if you want). You can also walk on planets to see the scenery, and space walk. I think that is all for now gameplay wise, I need to just go over how the game will work. The game is randomly generated each time, not procedurally (I hear you programmers sigh relief), and the graphics will be basic, think Frontier First Encounters. There will be Newtonian physics, but like no gravity effects in space. On planets, it will basically be a simple flight simulator, slow down you drop, not continue on like in space. Planets will have different values which will control what it is like, for example:

IS BARREN: 0

IS GASGIANT: 0

ATMODENS: 1 (1 Earth)

GRAVITY:0.75 (0.75 that of Earths)

TEMP: 20 (Degrees C)

RAD: 1 (1= none, 2=some, 3=much, 4=alot 5=Chernobyl reactor)

SIZE: 1 (1 Earth)

And so on...

Well, thats it, anyone wanna take on this nigh impossible task?

EDIT: Damn, I need to use paragraphs.

DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Supreme Dark Emperor Admin

Farcodev is making a game similar to this that you found in Far Colony. Only difference is the whole walking on planets but then that is covered mostly in Infinity: The Quest for Earth. The scope of the game you are thinking up is quite large in nature and would be a huge project. Infinity has most if not all your ideas and it has been in development for around 3-4 years now and still has more time to go.

First thing you will probably need is an engine that could perform all of your actions.

ReplyQuote
Madtoaster55
(@madtoaster55)
Petty Officer Registered
Topic starter  

I'm thinking about making the whole game 2D, and I have an engine/game maker that can make it (Free and Open Source) that is simple to use (I can understand the code) and also supports python, so the master coders can contribute to the game, but that means that I will lose some of the beauty of the game and lose the affects of gravity. Im thinking about taking some of the exploration elements from Infinity (Going everywhere in the universe, on planets, by asteroids etc) , but no trading/combat and a reward system for exploring. Colonisation will not be a major part, its just that you can choose where to set down them and watch them expand over time, and gain rewards for it.

Oh, I also accept contributions of sprites, Ill post up the basic game style soon you can stick to, so don't give me anything till then please.

Oh, and here is the engine/game making tool I am using http://www.scirra.com/

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Supreme Dark Emperor Admin

I have been watching scirra engine for a while. Have been waiting for it to go v1.0 before I try to do anything with it but seems really solid but you do need to have some programming knowledge to do things with it. I have seen some nice nice games made with that engine as well so it is possible.

Lots of sprites will have to be made 🙂

ReplyQuote
Madtoaster55
(@madtoaster55)
Petty Officer Registered
Topic starter  
Darkone wrote:

Lots of sprites will have to be made 🙂

This is my number 1 fear. I think when I have some basic ones up, I will start accepting modified versions (Like grass being different colours, buildings having dirt on them, various asteroids). I have managed to get a very basic (Very very very basic) version of the game up, with only a very basic move (arrow keys) and a minimap (Which only shows you). I cant upload it at the moment, and it is not really playable, so when I add some basic sprites (Planets, stars, asteroids and space stations) to it and more interactivity (Basic "shop" at space station, landing on planets which will not be random and gathering biodata and materials). Also, can a moderator change the name of this to "Unnamed Exploration Game" and move it to the appropriate section, please.

ReplyQuote
XenoHelix
(@xenohelix)
Petty Officer Registered

I'm both (sort of 😆 ) but since i'm obviously older that you' let me give you a few "No No" things regarding the forming of a team to do a game. Even if it's for fun.

1. Don't think that a game needs a modeller, a programmer, an artist and a sound engineer. Even if it's for fun, these people must have professional skills at what they will do. I had a 3D modeler that made some serious models but they were aprox 100.000 polys each the way they were made was impossible to do a poly reduction 😕

2. You can't go asking people for help when the idea itself isn't solid yet. Put in on paper, connect all elements together, find the pitfalls and the fun killers, create the GDD (Game Design Document) and then give that document to trusted people (Programmers i mean) to tell you what they think.

3. If you still think that your'up to the task ..... Learn how to do all the things needed by yourself. You don't have to be a master at all of them but you do have to know how to draw a very basic texture, model the simplest model and texture it, program and be familiar with classes, have at least a basic understanding of maths and several other important game development subjects like materials, lights, ... etc.

4. Resist the urge (i know it's tough) to make a web site and all those flashy graphics to announce something that only exists in your head and not even on paper. Remember the more work you put without a solid base, the more painful the fall will be if the project is abandoned.

5. THINK THIS THROUGH VERY CAREFULLY - If you make a team, this means that you're they manager. Even amateur teams need a head and that means that you will deal with many things that don't necessarily relate to the game itself. Even if you do have time (you're not married or have kids i suppose), driving the bus means you can't have fun with the other guys or do the things you like in the game.

If you're thinking about starting a game so you can have fun, do so and enjoy it, but asking other people to join puts a responsibility on you that, whether you like it or not, will kill the fun. Didn't want to disappoint you or anything but i feel that after burning myself up falling into those pitfalls, i might help some other to not do so ... 😉

ReplyQuote
Madtoaster55
(@madtoaster55)
Petty Officer Registered
Topic starter  

I forgot to say, I understand the basics of Constuct (Or Scirra engine, whatever you want to call it) and dont need models as I can make pretty good sprites. I may need someone to code some python for me in the future, but for now, it looks like I am able to get a very basic prototype up (If I dont slack off) In a couple of weeks, maybe even with some randomly generated planets (Till then, Ill have a die roll that adds skills to see if you find anything, and the surface will be blank)

ReplyQuote
XenoHelix
(@xenohelix)
Petty Officer Registered

Will watch closely and if don't deliver as promised .....well, I talk to the admin and we'll hang you 😀

ReplyQuote
SolCommand
(@solcommand)
Commander Registered

Unfortunately I can't help you at this time m8 but I wish you the best of luck. Hopefuly we'll see some progress soon 🙂 I suggest you post this on other forums as well, maybe modding communities cause there's a lot of programmers on those forums.

ReplyQuote
Bullwinkle
(@bullwinkle)
Warrant Officer Registered

micmanos wrote:

1. Don't think that a game needs a modeller, a programmer, an artist and a sound engineer. [It is surprising how much one person can do]

2. You can't go asking people for help when the idea itself isn't solid yet. Put in on paper, ... and then give that document to trusted people (Programmers i mean) to tell you what they think.

3. If you still think that your'up to the task ..... Learn how to do all the things needed by yourself. You don't have to be a master ...

4. Resist the urge ... to make a web site ... to announce something that only exists in your head...

5. THINK THIS THROUGH VERY CAREFULLY - If you make a team, this means that you're they manager. ...

If you're thinking about starting a game so you can have fun, do so and enjoy it, but asking other people to join puts a responsibility on you that, whether you like it or not, will kill the fun. ...

Excellent list, micmanos! ❗

ReplyQuote
ViolentAJ
(@violentaj)
Petty Officer Registered

This is actually a very large project (or has the potential to be quite large). I think that it would require a lot of development.

I agree that a design document should be thought out and put down for potential developers to see.

I can't work on it right now since I have a ton of projects of my own, but the premise does sound interesting.

ReplyQuote
Madtoaster55
(@madtoaster55)
Petty Officer Registered
Topic starter  

Woah, I was planning this on being a simple to play (but very fun) game that could be played casually as well as devoutly, but with all the people who have posted in response... well....

I think I will have to start asking around for programmers. Maybe even, if possible, I will get someone who has a engine they can use to do it with me, and I can make this as complex as all you guys want. Oh, and since this is my first real project (I have made loads of little pointless ones before, so Im not walking in blind) the design document may be... a little rough. If someone can PM me an example one, it would be much appreciated.

IDEA- I just remembered. I have the UDK. You can use this freely to make a non-commercial game so... CALLING ALL UDK DEVELOPERS, HELP ME, PLEASE.

ReplyQuote
Madtoaster55
(@madtoaster55)
Petty Officer Registered
Topic starter  

So, what ya suggest I do? Basically put together all my ideas for the game into a document so it is easy to remember where I am going? Ok, that sounds easy enough. Oh and farcodev, I love your work on Far Colony, keep up the good work (And if you can give me any tips for managing my work any better, please do, thanks)

EDIT:Oh, and I wont use UDK. It will be too much work to do something that I can do just as well (Just with not as good graphics) In a simpler to use engine that I am familiar with.

ReplyQuote
XenoHelix
(@xenohelix)
Petty Officer Registered

There is really no golden rule as to how to start a game but a document that describes the game is a required step. The tricky part about it is that you must know how to write it, where to start, what to include and when and most important when to start writing it. Some DDs start from the features the game will have and the details as to how things inside the game will work. It may come as a surprise to many but that's actually the reverse order. To be quick with this post i will parallel a game with a house and you'll figure it out easy.

1. Select the land to build ..... Computer, Internet, Mobile phone, Console (PC most probably). Write them down and also state why you're choosing them.

2. Select your tools .... There are many completely free or very low price software tools you can use for artwork, texturing, modeling, animating, sound editing, movie making and of course programming and rendering. Write them down and state why you're choosing them and what will be their operation and the content pipeline.

3. Get your raw materials ..... Scavenge the internet, get some free textures, sounds, 3D models, math resources, ... etc to use for testing (not production) and burn them into a CD/DVD. It will save you a lot of time and pain to have ready stuff to use for testing. I have lots of textures and models accumulated over the years that i use for testing 😉

4. Check & Measure .... Test the feasibility of your game features. Process and evolve each feature to a point where you are either absolutely sure that it's doable without killing the overall performance. If you can't, don't go for it. Put all your features in either the 'YES' list or the 'NO' list and avoid the 'MAYBE' and the 'WILL SEE' list. Write down what each feature will give to the game, the effect it will have on the gaming experience of a player and why you're either accepting it or rejecting it.

5. Deploy .... Put all the features you decide to implement in a logical building order. Put dependent features further down the list and AFTER all the needed features. The first feature should be the one that doesn't depend on other features. Keep that mentality all the way till you finish. It's amazing how many application (not only games) crash under the enormous amount of unfinished work and wrongfully prioritized dependencies.

Remember one very important thing about Game Design Documents ..... They're the manual of how to MAKE the game and not how to PLAY the game.

That's it ... 🙂

ReplyQuote
Bullwinkle
(@bullwinkle)
Warrant Officer Registered

micmanos wrote:
That's it ... 🙂

😀

Another fine list, micmanos. Sounds like the voice of experience... at least in project management!

I would add that the design documents will evolve as the project evolves. In the early stages I would add a point:

1.5) Summarize the important User Experience highlights that you hope to achieve. Note similarities or contrasts to existing work, and use sketches or screenshots to help explain your main goals. Have a short introductory paragraph that gives a "feel" for the overall project, followed by list(s) of specifics.

Somewhere along the line, you will choose a game engine:

2.5) As you become familiar with your chosen engine, you will notice that some features work well while others do not. Keep lists of your observations and share them with your team so that people do not spend days/weeks/years trying to implement a feature that the engine does not support as well as you might like.

ReplyQuote
XenoHelix
(@xenohelix)
Petty Officer Registered

Bullwinkle wrote:
Sounds like the voice of experience... at least in project management!

No, that's the voice of a man, burned lots of times .... at least in project management .. 😆 😆 😆 😆 😆 😆

Bullwinkle wrote:

I would add that the design documents will evolve as the project evolves. In the early stages I would add a point:

You're right, but the list is not even remotely complete. There are hundreds of little details to watch out for. One point though that it very very true is that the document does evolve during development as the process is, at best, highly fluid by its very nature.

ReplyQuote
Madtoaster55
(@madtoaster55)
Petty Officer Registered
Topic starter  

Thanks Micmanos, I cant make it now (Preparing to make my very own Warhammer club in my school), but I will make it soon. I have a very good idea of what to do in the Deploy section, 1. Flyable ship that can move 2. Planets and Stars 3.Transit between star systems 4. Different kinds of stars 5. Different kinds of planets 6.Space Phenomena and so on.

Landing on planets will come later, after Space exploration is fully fleshed out, and a basic trade system is in place. Oh, and sensors and crew will come before then.

ReplyQuote