Notifications
Clear all

New Star Control in the Works?

MV2000
(@mv2000)
Warrant Officer Registered
Topic starter  

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2014/01/stardock-ceo-reveals-details-about-new-star-control-title-in-development/

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat?

Fortunately it was Stardock and I somehow trust Stardock. Let's hope they can at least keep *that* SC2 level of sense of humor.

Pinback
(@pinback)
99 Star General Site Moderator

So it's going to be a prequel, be in 3d and have some sort of on line multi-player aspect

Wardell's Star Control would take place 43 years before the events of Star Control 2 and would function as a prequel. "We plan to start the game around 2112 with aliens first contacting the Earthlings and the formation of Star Control," he explained. From there, the game will proceed in the same open-ended adventure fashion as Star Control 2—Wardell told Ars that the player would captain the Earthling flagship, which can be fortified with upgrades as it explores the galaxy.

Looks like the only thing Stardock got was the right to use the name "StarControl" and it looks very much like they don't have the rights to use any of the IP in the original game so it could turn out to be another StarControl 3.

Fortunately, Wardell was ahead of me—the Holy Duo has already been consulted. "I talked to them quite a bit about what level of involvement they would like to have in the new game," he said. "The main issue is that Toys for Bob is owned by Activision now, and as a result they cannot be officially involved at present."

ReplyQuote
MV2000
(@mv2000)
Warrant Officer Registered
Topic starter  

Maybe......

Wardell also says that the multiplayer will bring bacc ship-to-ship combat. It will include the Super Melee mode from SC2, and maybe completely new, "more sophisticated" modes that Wardell says resemble Dota.

Please, for love of God, what's with developer's obsession towards MOBA game mode nowadays?

ReplyQuote