Notifications
Clear all

Presenting Star Nomad 2, a mix of squad-tactical combat, RTS/RPG, sandbox spacesim!

Halfgeek
(@halfgeek)
Petty Officer Registered
Topic starter  
Greetings fellow space enthusiasts! I wanted to share some news with you my upcoming PC game that I've been working on for awhile:

Star Nomad 2 is a space trader & squad-combat sim set in a dynamic sandbox with an evolving conquest between three major splinter groups of humanity. Every action matters, every jump a surprise, every Pilot can alter the course of mankind!

banner.jpg

Star Nomad 2 is the game that I've always wanted to make but never knew how. So it's been a learning journey (solo-gamedev) to finally get to a point where my limited talent is not the limiting factor for creativity. I believe I've created a very fun and dynamic sandbox for space/sci-fi fans to explore & exploit and I hope you agree with me, if so, vote yes on Greenlight & tell your buddies! Thank you. 🙂 If there's any questions, don't hesitate to ask!

Trailer:

[media]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eGP2mn6cd_w[/media]

Greenlight:

It's 90% done, hopefully it passes Greenlight. 🙂

Pinback
(@pinback)
99 Star General Site Moderator

Welcome to the forums SilverForce.

Any plans to release it through anyone else, ie GOG or GamerGate.?

ReplyQuote
Halfgeek
(@halfgeek)
Petty Officer Registered
Topic starter  

Thanks, I think GOG is pretty selective? My current plan is just to hopefully pass Greenlight. The game is DRM free, you can launch it offline/without Steam (the folders have an exe), but it does have Achievement/Cloud Save that works on Steam.

ReplyQuote
Halfgeek
(@halfgeek)
Petty Officer Registered
Topic starter  

As the game comes together into a complete package, I'm seeing a potential there for some much needed enhancements, such as story-telling scenes and a unique soundtrack & sound effects to really lift the game into the next level.

So I've launched a small Kickstarter campaign to try get the necessary funds for these additions.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1656422411/star-nomad-2

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)

Best of luck with the Kickstarter Silverforce and remember to lot of updates.

ReplyQuote
Halfgeek
(@halfgeek)
Petty Officer Registered
Topic starter  

I've just added 2 updates today, about mechanics & gameplay info.

Char-Creation & Rogue-like Difficulty

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1656422411/star-nomad-2/posts/1360130

Merchants Matter & Squad Members

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1656422411/star-nomad-2/posts/1364189

If you guys like it, please hit YES on Steam Greenlight! I've been bombarded with marketing spam wanting $$ for coverage, but I'm 1) broke and 2) not wanting to be a sell-out (it feels dirty doing such things!), as such I rely purely on word-of-mouth. So if you guys enjoy these kinds of games, tell your buddies! Thank you. 🙂

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)

May be a bit too late with the updates although theirs always a chance.

ReplyQuote
Halfgeek
(@halfgeek)
Petty Officer Registered
Topic starter  

Yes, you are right. I wasn't expecting success on KS since there's no coverage for it, very few visits to the KS page at all in total.

Well, I will focus my effort on making the game great and hope that it can sell itself. *Fingers crossed* 🙂

ReplyQuote
Halfgeek
(@halfgeek)
Petty Officer Registered
Topic starter  

I had a guy contact me saying he thought it was just another generic top-down space shooter... he asked me what's special about it...

Then it struck me, I am doing a terrible job at immediately selling it, that's its unique, combining gameplay elements from very popular games. That should be the first thing that I throw out at people, otherwise they can't judge it on screenshots.

It's easier just to say it's like a mix between "Spacesim + Mount & Blade + FTL" and that would get the point across to anyone who have experience with those titles/genres.

banner.jpg

And a little update, 93% to top 100 on Greenlight. It's a slow burn without gaming press coverage. Hopefully it will pass soon so I can devote all my attention on finishing it. 🙂

ReplyQuote
Halfgeek
(@halfgeek)
Petty Officer Registered
Topic starter  

Passed Greenlight today! 

Zero $ marketing budget, I'm very happy. 🙂

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)

Congrats on hitting Steam Halfgeek.

ReplyQuote
IronHound
(@ironhound)
Warrant Officer Registered

I played the first game on Desura ( I think.) Good stuff, good luck!

ReplyQuote
Halfgeek
(@halfgeek)
Petty Officer Registered
Topic starter  

It's live on Steam!

steam-logo-616-x-353-v2.jpg

http://store.steampowered.com/app/414950

🙂

Happy to give out a few keys to the moderators of this site so that they can do a giveaway to fellow spacesim fans! Please let me know if that's something you guys are interested.

ReplyQuote
IronHound
(@ironhound)

Oh wow! Its out for realz! This is reviewing quite well, and it seems to have every feature I dreamed of while playing EV Nova and Space Rangers 2! I actually quite liked the first game, it just needed a bit of polish in my opinion. It had alot of great ideas, but I was definately turned off by the ...mobile UI? It felt very.. uh...simplistic. Combat also felt a bit janky for lack of a better term, like something was off in comparison to games like EV Nova and such.

Hopefully I can pick the game up in a month or so and give it a proper shakedown. ("Got lack of money on my mind, got my mind on a lack of money." ...Thats how the song goes right? 😛  )

*EDIT*

Ooh this is good. Much better than I was expecting. Also... challenging! I'm reminded of SR2 or Privateer as opposed to Starpoint Gemini 2 and Ev Nova. Only put an hour in, but had to restart due to poor decisions lol. The developer is fantastic and has answered all of my questions on the steam forums.

Also of note, the game seems really polished so far. No bugs yet.

ReplyQuote
ArkisVir
(@arkisvir)
Petty Officer Registered

Congrats and awesome work!

ReplyQuote
Halfgeek
(@halfgeek)
Petty Officer Registered
Topic starter  

Ooh this is good. Much better than I was expecting. Also... challenging! I'm reminded of SR2 or Privateer as opposed to Starpoint Gemini 2 and Ev Nova. Only put an hour in, but had to restart due to poor decisions lol. The developer is fantastic and has answered all of my questions on the steam forums.

Also of note, the game seems really polished so far. No bugs yet.

Great, glad you are liking it so far! 🙂

I was a bit worried it starts too slow (too weak noobship)...  because I kept a ton of depth hidden, its something you really find as you keep on playing.

@ArkisVir Thanks!!

ReplyQuote
IronHound
(@ironhound)

I was a bit worried it starts too slow (too weak noobship)...  because I kept a ton of depth hidden, its something you really find as you keep on playing.

It certainly was a risk, and certain players with a more...deficient attention span seem to be slamming it in their reviews. 😛 I very much like the method, it feels more organic and immersive as if I'm truly a pilot in a real universe as opposed to a dude playing a game.

ReplyQuote
Halfgeek
(@halfgeek)
Petty Officer Registered
Topic starter  

I get a lot of negs for the Killing Blow mechanic. But I think it's fun and more interesting once you get used to it than simply "pew pew mindlessly not paying attention".. 

I've realized you just cannot please everyone...

http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197972191222/recommended/414950/

I'm ok with that now. I was a bit annoyed with it at first, but I've settled my inner tendency to take it personal. hehe

ReplyQuote
IronHound
(@ironhound)

On the other hand, you can't please everyone. If you try the game will end up casual and lose alot of your intended audience. You make too many changes and adjust too much of the core vision for people who really aren't ready for this type of game, and is going to suffer for it. I'd say stick to your vision and just keep adding too it. I personally like most of the stuff you are adding.

ReplyQuote
Halfgeek
(@halfgeek)
Petty Officer Registered
Topic starter  

On the other hand, you can't please everyone. If you try the game will end up casual and lose alot of your intended audience. You make too many changes and adjust too much of the core vision for people who really aren't ready for this type of game, and is going to suffer for it. I'd say stick to your vision and just keep adding too it. I personally like most of the stuff you are adding.

Oops, too late. I some loud complaints about the friendly fire system so I dumbed it down a lot... 

Le sigh.. 

No more dumbing down.

ReplyQuote
IronHound
(@ironhound)

hear hear! Cheers my friend! You've had a magnificent release, and everyone seems to be enjoying the game! Those who aren't who keep crying about toughness, baffle me. When I kept smashing into the side of a space station in Oolite, I didn't cry how the game needs easier docking. I learned how to do it. Shame all these youngins expect their games to handfeed them everything. Stay the course man! This is an excellent game, and your constant updates are downright amazing.

ReplyQuote