Notifications
Clear all

Rogue System

Page 2 / 5

Pinback
(@pinback)
99 Star General Site Moderator

Pledged although that $300k target is a huge mountain to climb. 

ReplyQuote
Crisis
(@crisis)
Petty Officer Registered
Topic starter  

Pledged although that $300k target is a huge mountain to climb. 

It is; but it's also absolutely attainable. RogSys is starting on the back foot a bit, so it'll take a couple days to get moving.  Had to be honest though--I could have set the goal lower, but it wouldn't have provided the team I'd need to achieve the base goal properly...

Thanks so much for the pledge. I do appreciate it...

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)

Excellent start video on Kickstarter Crisis, look forward to seeing more of them.

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)

Update on how the funds are to be used.

At another site, a comment came up about exactly how funds from each goal would be spent. I'll try to clarify a bit more.

On average, a programmer or experienced artist typically earns around 50K per year (some more, some less). As this is a two-year project every 200K goal is going to the hiring of two more people at 100K each.

For example, in the 500K stretch goal I mention bringing on a tools programmer as well as an additional content artist. Both of these will be for the full two years, thus most of the goals funds would go to salaries, with the remainders going to things such as software licenses (a seat of 3D studio max will run around 4K or more per seat).

In addition, there are other operating expenses from equipment to even having a CPA prepare state and federal taxes.  If I've planned well then I may even be able to set aside a bit for a "rainy day"--emergencies and such; or we can save enough to start working on the next Extension Module. But, for the most part, most of the money for each tier goes to salaries.

I can't give precise specifics simply because you never know exactly how things will turn out. I could find a kick a** entry level artist and, because of his experience level, their salary could be a bit lower. Or, I could find a REALLY great, experienced programmer--their's would be higher than average.

But, that's about as transparent as I can be. Most of your money will go to the people who will work to bring Rogue System to you, and the tools they'll need to do it.

ReplyQuote
Crisis
(@crisis)
Petty Officer Registered
Topic starter  

Thanks for posting this. I'm actually working on a goal chart that will define how funds are to be used a bit more clearly...

ReplyQuote
Crisis
(@crisis)
Petty Officer Registered
Topic starter  

Just FYI--there's a new video up. No music or any of that other jazz--just me talking through part of a manual start and explaining some of the core systems along the way. This is part 1 of 3. Here's the link: 

Cheers all

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)

Very impressive vid  😎 certainly  set Rogue system apart from E:D and SC.

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)

Part 2 up, detail some of the pilot avatar features and some of the funding aspect of Kickstarter.

ReplyQuote
Crisis
(@crisis)
Petty Officer Registered
Topic starter  

Ah, beat me to it. Thanks 🙂

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)

A couple of quick question for you Crisis will the enemy pilots suffer from the same handicaps as you pilots avatar.

Also do you intend to have any alien races which are able to handle the G force better than human pilots.

ReplyQuote
Crisis
(@crisis)
Petty Officer Registered
Topic starter  

Yes, the enemy AI suffer the same things as the player's pilot, both physically and emotionally. A character is a character, be they human or NPC--the data is the same. The only reason RogSys cares about what type of character it is is so it knows what to do with the data...

In the initial campaign of the Core Modular, no. As part of a great story arch, yes. Their ships and tolerances would be much different...

ReplyQuote
Crisis
(@crisis)
Petty Officer Registered
Topic starter  

Hi all,

Video 3 in the series is up: 

Cheers...

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Supreme Dark Emperor Admin

Finally got to sit down and watch Rogue System video #2 & 3. I just really enjoy the small details you have created with the HUD and the pilot, can the HUD be interacted with without clicking on icons? Can you use the keyboard or maybe even macro the pre-check/startup?

And really commend you on all the updates you have been making on kickstarter and answering questions. As you stated in your video your goal is attainable its just whether all the people that are thinking about pledging do so, because more people will pledge if they see the game has momentum behind it. I will do what I can.

ReplyQuote
Crisis
(@crisis)
Petty Officer Registered
Topic starter  

Thanks for the kind words and your support. 

As to your question: every command can be assigned to a hot key or game controller button or axis (be it a game pad, throttle quadrant, joystick, etc--as long as it uses the game controller interface). So, in theory, you never HAVE to use the clickable cockpit at all...

As you can see, I've been thinking about this stuff for a LONG time 🙂

ReplyQuote
Crisis
(@crisis)
Petty Officer Registered
Topic starter  

Just a quick head's up--BumbleBee was kind enough to extract Rogue System's portion of their recent 8-hour webcast. Here's the link if you're interested:

Cheers...

ReplyQuote
auryx
(@auryx)
Warrant Officer Registered

If anyone is interested in a bit more info, there's a new Q&A up here:

http://www.spacegamejunkie.com/featured/rogue-system-qa-bringing-hard-core-simulation-space/

Wow! How have I never heard of that spacegame site?!? An excellent companion to Space Sim Central 🙂

auryx

You look good through a crosshair.

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)

Plenty of updates from Michael and still 16 days to go but the total a long way of the target.

ReplyQuote
BrianRubin
(@brianrubin)
Senior Chief Registered

Wow! How have I never heard of that spacegame site?!? An excellent companion to Space Sim Central 🙂

auryx

Thank you very much, I work very hard on it, and I hope you'll visit often. 🙂

ReplyQuote
Crisis
(@crisis)
Petty Officer Registered
Topic starter  

New vid--focus on some system damage due to combat...

ReplyQuote
Crisis
(@crisis)
Petty Officer Registered
Topic starter  

Also, there's a new podcast up over at spacegamejunkie.com covering RogSys--well worth a listen: http://www.spacegamejunkie.com/podcasts/sgj-podcast-03-rogue-system-qa-michael-juliano/

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Supreme Dark Emperor Admin

This last video shows off so much and very impressed on the attention to detail Crisis.

- When you were taking damage to some subsystems and you are hearing the noises, visual queues and even smoke. That's just great for immersion.

- I liked the way the shield reacted to hits, looked great.

- Loved the background noise for the engines and what sounds like air flow to the cockpit

Now when you were in combat Crisis I saw your target reticle and I thought I saw a smaller dot  on the HUD does that play into targeting because sometimes I thought you were shooting towards that smaller dot.

ReplyQuote
Crisis
(@crisis)
Petty Officer Registered
Topic starter  

This last video shows off so much and very impressed on the attention to detail Crisis.

- When you were taking damage to some subsystems and you are hearing the noises, visual queues and even smoke. That's just great for immersion.

- I liked the way the shield reacted to hits, looked great.

- Loved the background noise for the engines and what sounds like air flow to the cockpit

Now when you were in combat Crisis I saw your target reticle and I thought I saw a smaller dot  on the HUD does that play into targeting because sometimes I thought you were shooting towards that smaller dot.

Well, in this first implementation you have the lead-computed site, as well as the fixed reticle. I was getting a bit distracted shooting and talking at the same time, so maybe at those times I wasn't just aiming properly (unless you're talking about the fixed reticle itself) 🙂

Thanks for the kind words.

ReplyQuote
Crisis
(@crisis)
Petty Officer Registered
Topic starter  

Hi all.

A new video is up--this time showing some celestial elements of the dynamic galaxy. At the 1:20 mark, if you look at the dark side of the planet, you can see some city lights as well as lightning flashes...

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)

cool vid Crisis but I have to admit that I can not see anything at the 1:20 mark.

ReplyQuote
Crisis
(@crisis)
Petty Officer Registered
Topic starter  

You have to full screen it at high detail. You can see some "city" lights at 1:17 (the effect is a bit subtle right now--planetary shader isn't final). Right after that you will see some lightning flashes if you look just past the terminator from day to night. *I* didn't even see them at first until I watched the vid a few times...

If your monitor gamma is on the darker side you may not be able to see it...

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 5