Notifications
Clear all

SOL EXODUS

Page 2 / 3

Jabberwocky
(@jabberwocky)
Master Chief Registered

I'm happy to see they're getting some good media attention!

Looking into SOL Exodus a little more closely, I see there's some similarities to my design for Salvation Prophecy. Notably, the push towards accessible controls, whether it be mouse/keyboard, joystick, or gamepad. And also the focus on combat over trading and economy.

Hopefully we don't launch too closely together and split the space sim audience. But I think I can beat them to release. Game on, Sol Exodus. Game on. 😉

ReplyQuote
Geraldine
(@geraldine)
Rear Admiral Registered

Jabberwocky wrote:
Hopefully we don't launch too closely together and split the space sim audience. But I think I can beat them to release. Game on, Sol Exodus. Game on. 😉

I dont think thats is something you would need to worry about Jabberwocky. I think most space sim fans could find room for both games 😉

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)
99 Star General Site Moderator
Topic starter  

Interesting that the reviews say they have gone for a more arena style game play, wonder if that’s too try and appeal to the FPS crowd.

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)
Topic starter  

Interview with Dan Magaha about sol

http://blog.logitech.com/2012/01/10/sol ... an-magaha/

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Supreme Dark Emperor Admin

Sol Exodus is getting to release on steam on the 25th of Jan so get ready. Checkout this nice new trailer for the game

I really liked the hacking option in the game to disable options.

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)
Topic starter  

Not bad for 9.99.

Got a very Battlestar look and feel to the game “Nice” 😎 and there no “Pew Pew laser sound. 😀

ReplyQuote
PixelMonkey
(@pixelmonkey)
Petty Officer Registered

PINBACK wrote:
Not bad for 9.99.

Got a very Battlestar look and feel to the game “Nice” 😎 and there no “Pew Pew laser sound. 😀

Thanks Pinback!

yeah, the BSG reboot was very big inspiration for us. Yeah, no pew-pew, at all. We don't have any energy based stuff in Sol Exodus. All the weapons are ballistic, (no lasers, no shields) which we felt made the combat much more visceral and challenging. Every bullit you fire is a live asset in the game, so it quickly becomes a matter of shooting where the enemies will be and not where they're at.

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)

Will Sol Exodus have any ability to be modded in the future? And I notice and admire the scene in the video where you shot your way through a structure (awesome effect btw). How do you know which structures you can do that too or is everything destructable to a point in the game?

ReplyQuote
Risbosix
(@risbosix)
Petty Officer Registered

Any feedback on the game since it's released?

ReplyQuote
PixelMonkey
(@pixelmonkey)
Petty Officer Registered

Risbosix wrote:
Any feedback on the game since it's released?

Would love to hear this too.

DarkOne wrote:
Will Sol Exodus have any ability to be modded in the future? And I notice and admire the scene in the video where you shot your way through a structure (awesome effect btw). How do you know which structures you can do that too or is everything destructable to a point in the game?

We are looking at modding and Co-op multiplayer. as the big goals for the next installment (Jupiter to Mercury). Our programmer has the bare bones of a modding system already in place with the way that we handle things like spawn points, it's just going o come down to a matter of priorities for us. We're an extremely small team and we want to deliver a polished experience to the player, so we have to focus on some things and painfully, let some other ideas go. I think that Modding and Co-op are pretty universally desired additions to the game and the pest way to add re-playability to the Sol experience, so the best I can say, at this time, is that they're very important additions to us and we're looking very hard at it.

Right now, we're focused on a pair of DLC packs and some patches to address some of the feedback that we're currently receiving over at the Steam forums.

Oh, destructible... We have quite a bit of destructible in the game, but we want a lot more. All large capital ships have what we're calling 'weak points' that get flagged during hacking missions. Once these are identified, by Cassie (the Atlas's ai that travels through the game with you) they can be destroyed, leaving giant gaping holes. Take enough of them out and you can take down an entire ship. There are some others that are not as explicitly described to the player, as we hope they'll be discovered by players, which could lead to some pleasant in-game surprises. (Try shooting a half dozen Mag Cannon rounds into a frigate's large thrusters! 😀 ) We also have more conventional (shoot me!) assets placed in a few of the levels, like large fuel barrels covered with nuclear or flame symbols.

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)

PixelMonkey wrote:
We are looking at modding and Co-op multiplayer. as the big goals for the next installment (Jupiter to Mercury).

Will this be a sequel or DLC that we will pay for to get this functionality?

Been reading the Steam forums and Seamless Entertainment has been getting out the patches quickly for issues and being proactive. With that alone you will get a nice following and dedicated fans. PixelMonkey did you say Sol Exodus was coming to other digital download sites soon (Gamersgate...?) or boxed version (checkout Iceberg Interactive, they have been publishing a lot of space/scifi titles lately)?

ReplyQuote
PixelMonkey
(@pixelmonkey)
Petty Officer Registered

Right now, it's all just massive amounts of notes on a couple huge whiteboards. No, we'd like to get mods and co-op (pvp is also being discussed, but personally I prefer co-op) in the next installment, which would include the next set of missions; Jupiter to Mercury. Now that we pretty much know what the game really is, we're talking about lots of new content, but programming and design can focus on expanding gameplay (via multi-player, modding tools and whatever other new ideas we descide to try.) This will be a seperate purchase, akin to the initial release version.

We are currently working on a pair of DLC packs, that will add new missions and explore more of the backstory and characters. These deal with what happens in the 10 years between the Prologue and Pluto/KB missions. We will also be adding in some new bells and whistles, mostly things we've been hearing about in the Steam forums, like; a cockpit view, docking with ships other than the Atlas (Hercules), and adding additional capitol ships (cruiser and dreadnaught classes).

Now, the sequal that we're dreaming of, is much further down the road and shrouded in much uncertainty and "ifs". It is. Multiple years away and will be much closer to a GTA in space. Instead of going down to a planet, we want to blast our way into a massive ship/station, get out and run around, take it down from the inside and then return to our ship, escape with our buddies, in a seamless fashion. Our designer Chris Stockman was the Lead Designer on the original Saints Row, so he's got some experience with these free-roamming sort of things.

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)
Topic starter  

Unfortunately I won’t be playing it as a combination of bad broadband and a big download puts me out.

If on the other hand theirs ever a box copy of the game I will be sure to get a copy.

ReplyQuote
PixelMonkey
(@pixelmonkey)
Petty Officer Registered

PINBACK wrote:
Unfortunately I won’t be playing it as a combination of bad broadband and a big download puts me out.

If on the other hand theirs ever a box copy of the game I will be sure to get a copy.

That's too bad, but I've been there. If you sprechen Deutsch, we're doing a retail box (with art book) in Germany. Not a good solution, I know. Getting a retail SKU requires a publisher, especially in the States and if you can't get it to Wal-Mart shelves, then it's all over. THIS, is why I love Steam.

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)

PixelMonkey wrote:
If you sprechen Deutsch, we're doing a retail box (with art book) in Germany. Not a good solution, I know. Getting a retail SKU requires a publisher, especially in the States and if you can't get it to Wal-Mart shelves, then it's all over.

Just in case you missed it PixelMonkey in my previous post I mentioned Iceberg Interactive as a possible publisher. They have been doing a great job and they have release quite a few space/scifi titles (Starpoint Gemini, Star Ruler, Gemini Wars (coming soon), Armada 2526 and Space Shuttle Mission Simulator). I will buy games off Steam on occasion but I usually prefer GamersGate, GOG or a hard copy of course.

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)
Topic starter  
PixelMonkey wrote:

That's too bad, but I've been there. If you sprechen Deutsch, we're doing a retail box (with art book) in Germany.

Nice 😀 even though I don't speak a word of German I will keep an eye open for that.

I already have a couple of German space sims which never got an English’s release, strange how the German market always gets these games.

So any new on a release date. ❓

Also will it be a full text and voice translation or just a text and if it’s just the text is there any way the English version can be switched on. ❓

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)
Topic starter  

Looks like Iceberg Interactive are going to release a box copy of Sol on the 22 June according to Zavvi http://www.zavvi.com/games/platforms/pc ... 07018.html

By the look of it sadly no art book.

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)
Topic starter  

Got the announcement here

http://iceberg-interactive.com/news-mai ... ition.html

Wonder why it called a collector edition, looks like theres no art book with it.

ReplyQuote
PixelMonkey
(@pixelmonkey)
Petty Officer Registered

Thanks for posting this link to the Iceberg release! I missed seeing this announcement.

There is an art book included with the Collectors Edition. Should also be a cd/soundtrack and a new 'endless' game mode.

If you've got a 3d tv/monitor (who doesn't 🙄 ) that supports the RealD format, you can now play the game in 3D. I'm still not convinced that 3D is bringing a lot to my theater experience, but the game experience is way more immersive in 3d. Plus, Sol is just dead sexy in 3d, especially with the new cockpit mode turned on.

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)
Topic starter  

Nice hopefully it still on for a 22/6/12 release 😀

ReplyQuote
DoctorRoXo
(@doctorroxo)
Senior Chief Registered

I still haven't played this game. i don't care about all the bad stuff i've heard/read. i still want to play this.

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)

There is a demo you can try as well, I know you can get it off Steam.

ReplyQuote
DoctorRoXo
(@doctorroxo)
Senior Chief Registered

DarkOne wrote:
There is a demo you can try as well, I know you can get it off Steam.

there is isn't there. forgot about that. cool. ill check it out.

ReplyQuote
deepseaweed
(@deepseaweed)
Senior Chief Registered

-10% on GamersGate, DRM-free, with Art Book and Soundtrack in the extras. Downloading right now. http://www.gamersgate.com/DD-SOLE/sol-exodus

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)
Topic starter  

got my disk copy on preorder from Zavvi .com 😀

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 3