Notifications
Clear all

Sol Trader

Page 1 / 2

Pinback
(@pinback)
99 Star General Site Moderator
Topic starter  

Sol Trader describes itself as Elite meets Asteroids, looking for £20K more details on.

SEE POST 20  BELOW FOR NEW KICKSTARTER DETAILS.

website http://chrismdp.com/

Hello: I'm Chris Parsons, a former AAA games developer turned software consultant and entrepreneur. I've recently come back home to my love of making indie games, and I'd love to introduce Sol Trader to you, the game I've been working on for the past three years.

Sol Trader is an exciting new game for PC and Mac. It aims to combine the immersiveness of Elite and the arcade fun of Asteroids with the depth of an RPG.

fca9962a89729cca5a7fe47cc3f1b81a_large.g

It features a complex procedural history generator. Each new game is already two centuries old, with a living history full of characters that are born, live and die before you even exist.

a78b94ba7d1d889615862e1431dd54aa_large.g

When you create a character in this world, you face the same choices as all the computer-controlled citizens did. The decisions you make in your character's early life set your starting skills and attributes, and your family connections and business contacts. You'll be able to explore the known (and unknown) solar system, trade goods, run missions, leverage your contacts, and avenge members of your family as you see fit...

2234e5d1c24fd63558fae03c202dfe73_large.p

I've been self-funding Sol Trader for three years, working on it in my evenings and weekends and whenever else I can. It's currently playable and in late Alpha. While it's come a long way, there are several large pieces I need to finish:

• Online scoreboards: compare your story and achievements with others!
  • Missions
  • AI conversations and interaction
  • Asteroids and Mining
  • More weaponry and equipment for ships
  • Sound effects
  • The ability to buy new ships
  • Economy balance and expansion
  • Inter-faction politics

chrismdp
(@chrismdp)
Crewman Registered

Hello there!

I'm the developer, and would be very happy to answer any questions people might have about the game.

Thanks

Chris

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Supreme Dark Emperor Admin

Hi Chris and welcome to SSC. First off good luck on your kickstarter and your not asking for a fortune so that is a plus and you have some things to show, the more you get out to the public the better the odds you reach your goal so try to get some tidbits of info out on your kickstarter every few days if possible. Least that has seemed to work for a lot of the other space game kickstarters we have seen in the past.

Your overall game overview looks good about the features that will be in sol trader, but I didn't see too much in the way of story discussed. Will there be a narrative/story for the game or will it basically be a elite style game where basically make your own legacy/story as you play? I ask is that you mention a few pieces in your description that there is politics involved so there most be some sort of background on this to kind of pull it together.

The approach with like a family history aspect where your family line creates a history or a name for yourself is interesting and could prove to be a great thing to design missions around or not if your a bad person and people then don't want to give you missions 🙂

I always make the offer to any developer that comes to SSC if you need a forum area to discuss your game you just have to say the word and I will make something for you to use free of charge. SSC is here to support the developers of these great space games. Just PM me and I will make it happen. Added your kickstarter to the mainpage.

ReplyQuote
chrismdp
(@chrismdp)
Crewman Registered

Hey, thanks for the welcome and the feedback!

You're right: I could have talked about the story a little more. All the events and most of the organisations (business, hotels and bars) are generated, but the governments and their territories are currently hard coded. The story will come from the generated history of the game rather than tying you to a fixed story or progression. I'll make that a little clearer on the Kickstarter.

Thanks for the offer for a forum - we already have one on our website but it's appreciated!

Chris

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)
Topic starter  

Q&A video.

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)
Topic starter  

Only 11 days left but still under the half way mark but he can still get their with a bit of a push.

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)
Topic starter  

Only 4 days left but still under the half way mark.

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)
Topic starter  

Commiseration to Chris on the Kickstarter but it looks like he will be back some time this year for another go.

Well, it's been quite a ride! As the hours tick down, it looks like the campaign won't get funded this time around.

Still, I've drawn a lot of encouragement from this amazing community - you are all fantastic 🙂 I really appreciate all the thoughts, feedback and encouragements I've received over the last few weeks. When starting the Kickstarter I didn't know what to expect, and I've be overwhelmed at how great this community has been to me. I'll definitely be back!

Whilst I'm obviously disappointed not to get funding, I truly believe in the game idea and want to see it released. Therefore I'll keep plugging away at the game whenever I can. I'll post updates to the campaign so that you can keep track of what's going on, and will run another campaign to raise funds for a big release at the end of the project's development.

Paypal donations

Many people have asked about Paypal donations - unfortunately it's not easy to do at the moment because of the new EU VAT regulations. Please keep an eye on soltrader.net and I'll post an update when the donation page is up and running.

Thanks again for all your support!

Chris

If they get the paypal sorted out, I would back it.

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)
Topic starter  

Long video about the game.

Looks like he managed to get his sound sorted out this time.

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)
Topic starter  

More YouTube of the live stream, part 1&2.

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)
Topic starter  

Another video of the live feed.

ReplyQuote
Straker
(@straker)
Senior Chief Registered

Interesting. I too am a ancient dev so I'm definately going to queue up a few of these vids to watch later...

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)
Topic starter  

Another video of the live stream.

ReplyQuote
chrismdp
(@chrismdp)
Crewman Registered

Interesting. I too am a ancient dev so I'm definately going to queue up a few of these vids to watch later...

Ancient dev?? 

Hope you enjoy the videos. I'm enjoying doing the live stream, although it feels like only a tiny window onto what I'm working on. I'd be grateful for any feedback: do I give too much or too little explanation, for example?

Thanks

Chris

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)
Topic starter  

Another Video of the live stream.

Not had much of a chance to follow them but I would say that your audio is on the quite side.

ReplyQuote
chrismdp
(@chrismdp)
Crewman Registered

Not had much of a chance to follow them but I would say that your audio is on the quite side.

Yeah thanks for the feedback. I've noticed this too - need to remember to use headphones + mic for it to be heard properly! 🙂

Chris

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)
Topic starter  

New update in three parts.

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)
Topic starter  

Another live stream video for Sol Trader.

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)
Topic starter  

Think I missed a couple these live steams but you should find them on the YouTube channel.

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)
Topic starter  

New Kickstarter launched for Sol trader, looking for £10K this time also has a demo for the PC/MAC to download https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/852671098/sol-trader and they have a PayPal option

• Single-player combination of arcade 2D spaceflight and strategic manipulation of your network of contacts
  • Run missions using your family and friends' connections to government or business
  • No ship given to you at game start: you must take a loan and hire a ship, or borrow one from a wealthy relative
  • Fly between planets, interacting with the various characters you come across in cities and in space
  • Research information on other characters through chatting to friends and relatives
  • Customise your ship with lasers, passenger quarters, shields, bolt weapons, missiles and scanners (coming soon)
  • Blackmail others with the information you find, or sell it to the press (coming soon)
  • Trade goods for profit
01487353a577fb03b37b8e56f437066a_origina

• Procedural generation of a whole society of thousands of random characters
  • Start every new game from your character's birth
  • Choose your parents and all your major life choices as you grow up 
  • Your choices determine your personality and your friends, relatives and enemies

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)
Topic starter  

Just short of the £6 grand mark and 14 days to go.

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)
Topic starter  

New demo out for the game featuring headlights something more of theses games should have. https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/852671098/sol-trader/posts/1377704

Still 8 days to go and still needs another £3K to hit the target.

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)
Topic starter  

About £2,500 to hit the target and 3 days to get it, looks like it going to go to the wire but still got a very good chance of hitting it.

More updates over the next 3 days,

ReplyQuote
chrismdp
(@chrismdp)
Crewman Registered

Yeah, it's all pretty close! I'm still hopeful though...

Here's a sneak peak of the latest combat AI:

hUSyDkS.gif

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)
Topic starter  

It's not over till the fat lady sings and it's often the case with Kickstarter that they come good in the last 24 hours, if you can get another couple of updates out, you might push it over the target.

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2