Pinback
(@pinback)
99 Star General Site Moderator
Topic starter  

Wow just watch the two ship crashing into each other 😎

Web site

http://www.spaceengineersgame.com/

ABOUT

Space Engineers is a sandbox game about engineering, construction and maintenance of space works. Players build space ships and space stations of various sizes and utilization (civil and military), pilot ships and perform asteroid mining.

Space Engineers utilizes a realistic volumetric-based physics engine: all objects can be assembled, disassembled, damaged and destroyed.

VISION

In 2002, Marek Rosa got an idea of making a physics-sandbox game where players construct static and dynamic structures in a grid-like environment, with realistic physics and realistic volumetricity.

This idea was inspired by his childhood days, spent with the popular construction toys of LEGO and LEGO TECHNIC.

Back then the technology wasn’t ready for a full-scale approach, so the first phase of his “master plan” focused only on dynamic voxel terrain. This resulted in our first title, “Miner Wars 2081”.

The second phase is happening right now and is materialized in “Space Engineers”.

Space Engineers is inspired by reality and by how things work. Think about modern-day NASA technology extrapolated 60 years into the future. Space Engineers strives to follow the laws of physics and doesn't use technologies that wouldn't be feasible in the near future.

To be honest, for the sake of intuitive gameplay, we had to make a few sacrifices to “realism elitism” - artificial gravity, max velocity, reactor efficacy, static grid, immovable asteroids, etc.

Space Engineers concentrates on construction aspects, but can be played as a tactical shooter as well. We expect players to avoid engaging in direct man-to-man combat and instead use their creativity and engineering skills to build war machines and fortifications. Space Engineers shouldn’t be about troops; it should be about the machinery you build.

Looks like it will be on Steam early access

Just been looking through their site and it has just clicked that it's Keen Software makers of Miners War.

This topic was modified 4 years ago by DarkOne

Topic Tags
robske
(@robske)
Warrant Officer Registered

You beat me to it 🙁

Damn that for playing Dune 2 (not 2000!).

The physics are indeed looking quite good. I'll await it with vigorous anticipation!

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)
Topic starter  

It does look like an out growth from Miner Wars will be interesting to see where they go with this.

ReplyQuote
SolCommand
(@solcommand)
Commander Registered

I have to say that if they add some depth to the gameplay in this new project it might just turn out to be a really great game.

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)
Topic starter  

Awesome crash test video from Space Engineers.  😎  😎 

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Supreme Dark Emperor Admin

It actually looks better than miner wars in some aspects, but its nice that they are expanding the engine like they are to do some good things. But I agree with SolCommand on this one in that depth will really make or break this one.

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)
Topic starter  

You can get the game prelaunch but it seems it will only be available for a few hours on certain days before the 28 of October. http://www.spaceengineersgame.com/pre-sales-announcement.html

Prague, Czech Republic, October 16th, 2013

Space Engineers seems to be stable and bug-free at this moment and there are still a few days left till October 23, so we decided to do a prelaunch test-run for a limited period of time.

We will run one (or more) three-hour window during which Space Engineers will be available for purchase on our web site. If you follow us on Facebook or Twitter, you will be notified.

If you buy the game during this window, you will receive a steam key and you will be able to install and play the game immediately. Even before October 23.

We hope that this decision will make some of you happy and will help us test the game even more thoroughly. If you experience any problems, please consult our troubleshooting page.

Estimated schedule: tomorrow, sometime about this time

Important note: there are going to be discounts on Space Engineers and Miner Wars 2081, please make sure you understand them before you do any purchase (otherwise you may lose a few dollars).
Read more: forums.keenswh.com/post/discounts-special-offers-6575409

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)
Topic starter  

Early access to the game can be bought through the site http://www.spaceengineersgame.com/ for $14.99 nice price and you will need to reg it with Steam, can't see any word on how big the download but I guess some where in the GB region. 

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)
Topic starter  

Looks like they have been doing well with the early access on Steam http://www.spaceengineersgame.com/space-engineers-ndash-one-month-of-early-access.html Game I would like to have a go at but sadly until I get the broadband sorted out it will just have to wait.

It has been a month since Space Engineers was released on Steam Early Access and it’s a good time for some recapitulation.

Space Engineers has sold over 100,000 copies in the first 3 weeks and was also featured on the Steam Top Sellers.

The game’s community has created thousands of creations which are available in Steam Workshop and can be found here: http://steamcommunity.com/workshop/browse/?appid=244850

The development team has been very busy implementing new features – some of them were already released in weekly updates, but some features need more development time and will be released in the following updates (multi-player, manual building, tools, etc.).

List of features added since October 23:

• Steam Workshop (upload and download your world to/from Workshop)
  • Magnetic Landing Gears (so you can land your small ship on a large ship)
  • Symmetry/Mirroring in creative mode
  • Copy/paste/delete in creative mode
  • Modding of 3D models
  • Inventory
  • Items
  • Max speed is now the same for all objects (104m/s)
  • Inertial dampeners for astronaut and for ships can be turned on/off
  • Faster building and deleting (CTRL+SHIFT)
  • Beacon (HUD shows a direction/distance to beacon blocks)
  • Localization to 15 languages
  • Linear and angular velocity of objects is now saved
  • Experimental support for much larger worlds

This is a video demonstration of all important features that have been added during the last month:

6673123_orig.png

ReplyQuote
Cruisin1500
(@cruisin1500)
Master Chief Registered

anyone in the alpha for this? How is it?

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)
Topic starter  

See the price is back upto $15.00 still it's a lot cheaper than E:D.

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)
Topic starter  

Any one know how big the download is I see it on Steam for £8.03 till the end of the week also noticed it's say the Alpha can be played off line?.

ReplyQuote
shadmar
(@shadmar)
Warrant Officer Registered

800MB.

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)
Topic starter  

Think I will get a copy, missed it on Steam thought it was till the end of the week but appears to have only been for yesterday.

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)
Topic starter  

So I have bought the game and I have had some shenanigans doing it, first up I thought I would go through Steam now even though I have 20 game that use Steam I have never bought one using it. So it was a WTF moment when I went to the check out and discovered all the personal information they want from you, you think you were applying for a bank loan not buying a game so that was the end of that. 😡

Next up was Keen store but it appear to be broken and you can only use Steam

Finally to Gamergate where I bought the game and got the Steam key 😆

Downloaded the game and it was only 472MB so far I have only got as far the option screen and the mouse is working, so it off to the forums to find the answer to that.

And here's the latest video update for it.

Turns out the mouse thing was just a glitch bit more of a problem is the invisible tiles which seems to be connected to using a Radeon graphic card.

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)
Topic starter  

Looks like Keen are pleased.

Four months after its release on Steam Early Access, Space Engineers has sold over 250,000 copies and steadily keeps in the top places at the Steam Top Sellers.

Space Engineers has been under intensive development through this period; new updates released on an almost weekly basis. Every update comes with a showcase video demonstrating what is new - all 19 updates can be previewed at Space Engineers’ YouTube channel:

The development team is now working on finishing the Survival mode and the Multi-player.

Space Engineers has also been selected by the players as the 4th best indie game of 2013 in the “Indie Game of the Year Awards” organized by IndieDB and Desura.

“We want to thank everyone who keeps contributing to the development of Space Engineers by publishing their creations on Steam Workshop and YouTube and also sending us valuable feedback and ideas. Space Engineers is about its community!” said Marek Rosa, CEO of Keen Software House.

Now have they fixed the invisible tiles yet.

Edit NO THE HAVEN'T

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)
Topic starter  

the game has had another update and they still have not fixed the invisible tiles bug.

ReplyQuote
Thargoid
(@thargoid)
Senior Chief Registered

Looks bloody cool.  Being a mechanical engineer this is right up my alley 😉

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)
Topic starter  

If you are think about getting a copy be aware that their is a problem if you are using a AMD Radeon graphic card with invisible tiles, this is what mine looks like at the moment.

SpaceEngineers2014-03-0519-16-57-94_zpsf

SpaceEngineers2014-03-0519-15-53-52_zps3

Alone with the usual ships from scifi TV and films their is some strange stuff built for the game as in this example.

ReplyQuote
Thargoid
(@thargoid)
Senior Chief Registered

Well right now my only computer is my work laptop and I couldn't tell you what it has in as a graphics card.  I do know its focused at CAD rather than games (funny that!)

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)
Topic starter  

Lot of updates for Space Engineers over the last couple of weeks including a milestone for the multiplayer game.They have also decided to put the price up as well. http://www.spaceengineersgame.com/space-engineers-ndash-survival-mode-and-multiplayer-milestones-reached.html

Keen Software House announced today that two key-milestones in the development of Space Engineers have been achieved: Survival mode and Multi-player.

The development of Space Engineers still continues, but the game is already in a very playable state and contains a vast amount of features that have been added through weekly updates in the last five months, since it was launched on Early Access.

Together with this milestone comes an increase in price, which will be $19.99 (€18.99, £14.99), starting today.

Space Engineers was available until now with the Creative mode, which focused on engineering and building without any constraints on resources and energy. This phase resulted in an explosion of creations that can be previewed at Space Engineers’ Workshop: steamcommunity.com/workshop/browse/?appid=244850.

In the newly added Survival mode, players need to harvest ore, use the refinery to refine ore to ingots, produce construction components in the assembler and then manually build blocks on site using a welder tool. The management of resources aims for realism (inventory capacity, processing speeds) but can be increased in world settings (3x and 10x). Players need to watch uranium in reactors and energy in their space suit. If the player dies, he is respawned in his medical room. If he does not have a medical room, then he is respawned in a rescue ship at a distant location in the sector.

Survival mode comes with a set of new game scenarios: Crashed Red Ship, Two Platforms, Lone Survivor.

Bet they have not fixed those invisible tiles yet.

Edit not they haven't

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)
Topic starter  

Oh meteorites bet the bloody monkeys have not fixed the invisible tiles yet.

n this update, we have added environmental hazards -- meteor storms (safe, normal, cataclysm, Armageddon). You should find ways to protect your character and your creations. Also, you can now apply colors on more types of blocks (large and small ship thrusters, antenna, pillar, catwalk, etc.)

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)
Topic starter  

Another 50 meg update to Space Engineers, this time window blocks I don't need this as I have plenty of Invisible blocks in the game.

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)
Topic starter  

Plenty of updates but fixes for my problem will have to have a look through their forum to see what they are saying about the invisible tiles.

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)
Topic starter  

Another week and another update for SE.

Also a short film about Keen.

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 4