Notifications
Clear all

Space Rogue

Pinback
(@pinback)
99 Star General Site Moderator
Topic starter  

No connection to the old Origin game but a new one, RPS say's a cross between FTL and Space Ranger http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2014/10/08/space-rogue-is-ftl-x-space-rangers-x-retro-futurism/ which given that their not much info on the site http://space-rogue.com/# is not a bad description.

From the site.

Space Rogue – a little game about the infinite Universe. This is a Golden age sci-fi tale with adventures of a small team in the infinite reaches of the void. Explore. Panic. Fight. The galaxy in Space Rogue is already big, and the user-generated content support will make it even bigger.

• Procedurally generated universe: every playthrough will be unique. Every location you enter would differ from the previous one
  • Space battles: only the strongest will survive
  • Crew & ship management: Improvise. Develop. Turn the lowly spaceboat into powerful cruiser
  • Game events: they will make your journey across the Universe more varied and give you interesting experience
  • Steam Workshop: we've added support for the user-generated content from the outset
  • Planet landing: the adventure will be not only in space, but on solid ground as well

Would not be too surprised if we see a Kickstarter for this at some point.

DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Supreme Dark Emperor Admin

Inside the ship looked nice, but they will need to show off the ship-to-ship combat and the ground combat to really stir up the interest for me. Can they do better than FTL?

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)
Topic starter  

Your right about the planets and combat and it will be interesting to see where they go with this.

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)
Topic starter  

Space Rogue is up for Greenlite on Steam. http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=400209375

ReplyQuote
FStyle
(@fstyle)
Senior Chief Registered

Looks like the first real attempt at an FTL successor. And doesn't look half bad either. Would like to see more ship variety, though. They only showed 2 there?

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)
Topic starter  

Space rogue is on Steams early access. http://store.steampowered.com/app/364300 bit on the expensive side for an early access game.

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)
Topic starter  

Looks to have had a major update.

• Space Monsters Protect your ship from hungry space monsters during the new monsters events! New unit types added: plerx crawler and plerx producer.
  • Space News Space news are temporary global events which affect game in various ways.
Gameplay Changes

• Critical fixes for boarding mechanic! Player's teleport is ready for use at the start of the battle. Player's crew members no longer die when enemy's crew is defeated.
  • Mining is more balanced now. Better reward/penalty ratio. No more unexpected hull damage!
  • Most of the annoying instant crew kills were replaced with the new type of penalty called "crew damage". Your crew members have a chance to survive after receiving a damage if they have enough health points.
  • Added new Mk. II и Mk. III modifications for combat cartridges for player' ship and NPC' ships.
  • New combat events added. Space battles should be more variative now (we've tired of those pesky robots too!).
  • Two new big mordren ships added.
Gameplay Fixes

• Missiles damage fixed.
  • Shield pierce parameter works as intended now.
  • Meteorites deal less damage in high difficulty sectors.
  • Enemy engineers no more teleporting to player's ship for boarding action.
  • State of ship's systems (working/damaged/destroyed) change properly now.
  • Battle cartridges are fixed in various ways. Cartridges will reload faster now.
  • Auto-attack is enabled by default now.
  • Tritanium cost in shop has been greatly reduced.
  • Crew leveling cost is decreased by 60%.
  • Cost of hiring new crew members is decreased by 60%.
  • You can no longer fly between planets with broken engine after continuing game from the main menu.
Graphic Fixes

• HP bars of the ship's systems are easier to read now.
  • Crew members no longer use the HUGE tools.
UI Changes And Fixes

• "Custom Game" button (Sandbox mode) renamed to "New Game".
  • "New Game" button renamed to "Quick Game" (start game with default settings and random main quest).
  • Added confirmation window when trying to start a new game or a quick game.
  • Repair buttons are on the right positions now.
  • Tooltips now properly display health of the crew members.
  • Several fixes for alert texts.
  • Several minor text and icon fixes.

ReplyQuote
XenonS
(@xenons)
Warrant Officer Registered

I just can't get my mood to this and any sort of top-down space games, this is just personal of course. I'd  be scared somebody could look over my shoulders laughing the hell out of me when playing this 🙂

Seeing the 1st video, for some seconds I thought the gameplay would just follow that sequence, all cartoonish, all in 1st or 3rd person, this would have been a very good idea, but...no, stupid top-down with a lot of clickology.

I have seen such a philosophy already, I can't remember the game's name: all features of Elite Dangerous and all features of the Big League space sims, but all in ASCII with 2D green blocks...aweful, but apparently challenging for some of us.

XenonS

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)
Topic starter  

Looks like it has had a long overdue update to the game, also has 25% off at the moment so I have decided to take a punt as it has been sat on my Steam wish list for a while now.

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)
Topic starter  

Space rogue is out of EA and I guess that's why it been getting all the updates lately, can be bought through GOG and Humble as well.

ReplyQuote