Notifications
Clear all

Space sims like the X series

Jordan097
(@jordan097)
Crewman Registered
Topic starter  

Hi there! What games can you suggest that are like the X series, meaning I can fly any spaceship from a transporter, a fighter to even a carrier/destroyer, trade freely, engage in combat and if possible manage stations (but that's not that important).

As far as I know the Elite games don't allow you to fly both small and large ships.

I accept games of any ages, both old and new.

Gchatman10
(@gchatman10)
Crewman Registered

I would suggest freelancer. You can get it for $15 bucks on amazon, and there are tons of free mods letting you fly ships normally bigger then allowed in the vanilla game. Plus there are still lots of people hosting servers. I would highly suggest it!

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)
99 Star General Site Moderator

Both the Elite sequels allowed you to fly different ships and most of the space trading games made in the last 20 years will have this feature.

As for owning stations I think the only other space trading game which has this is Eve, other wise you looking at 4X/RTS games.

Off hand the games I can think off.

Terminus

DarkStar One

Privateer 1&2

Space Force

Dangerous

Galaxy on Fire

HardWar

ReplyQuote
FStyle
(@fstyle)
Senior Chief Registered

As for owning stations I think the only other space trading game which has this is Eve, other wise you looking at 4X/RTS games.

Flatspace has that. It's unfortunately lacking in other features though...

Then there's Spaceforce: Captains which has modular stations but was a trainwreck release that was shortly abandoned by the developers.

ReplyQuote
Phaserlight
(@phaserlight)
Master Chief Registered

Also check out Vendetta Online.

New Player Guide.

ReplyQuote
cultist
(@cultist)
Master Chief Registered

I don't know why this game is not mentioned. Evochron mercenary is currently (my opinion) the best space sim out there. It is like a combination between frontier first encounters (it has every feature of it, and working) and x-series (complex building and stuff). Also ships are doing their thing as in x-series (trading, attackign pirates etc) but there is no instanced travel, everything is seamless in Evochron. Cheers

ReplyQuote
Caleb
(@caleb)
Senior Chief Registered

Only with small ships. But with atmospheric fly (without load screens) and a vast open space

Evochron Mercenary

With rotating planets 🙂

ReplyQuote
Geraldine
(@geraldine)
Rear Admiral Registered

You could also give Oolite & Pioneer a whirl, both are free.

ReplyQuote
cultist
(@cultist)
Master Chief Registered

Yes Caleb, beautiful game!

And exploration is really a rewarding experience (systems dont actually show on the "known" map of the galaxy...whathaveyou), you can find wreckages and other super secret cool stuff 😛

ReplyQuote
Caleb
(@caleb)
Senior Chief Registered

Yes Caleb, beautiful game!

And exploration is really a rewarding experience (systems dont actually show on the "known" map of the galaxy...whathaveyou), you can find wreckages and other super secret cool stuff 😛

Hahaha yes, the exploration is cool, i know it 😛

> 2 years playing 😀

ReplyQuote