Notifications
Clear all

Star Wolves 3 Civil War

Page 2 / 2

Geraldine
(@geraldine)
Rear Admiral Registered

Darkone wrote:
If you had to compare Star Wolves 3 to the review I posted a link to is it right on about the control scheme and other things? I thought the guy was a bit harsh on the game.

In some respects he was a little harsh. Certainly the UI is simply not responsive enough. After playing SW3 for a while, I fired up Homeworld and immediately I felt right at home. Even though Homeworld had no RPG bits, its just so much better in every other way, even in the face of it's ageing graphics. True tactics are possible in Homewold, in SW3, its more a matter of who has the biggest gun that will decide a battles outcome and more often than not (in the early missions at least) that is not you.

It is possible to get used to the UI and it's sometimes strange reactions to your input, but this is 2010 (not 1999 when Homeworld was released), a game like this needs to do more.

ReplyQuote
Cheator
(@cheator)
Crewman Registered

Hi

I enjoyed the game alot

First of all - its not nearly as buggy as the previous installments (come to think of it, i only ever had one issue with it... granted it was really annoying)

I was a bit disappointed to find out that instead of doing decent voiceovers, they ditched them altogather (they could've atleast kept the guy reading the news)

Also instead of developing the free roaming and side missions introduced by the previous game, they cut that out

Dropping the idea of a pilot dedicated to the MS in favour of using one of the six fighter pilots didn't sit well with me either

And i found myself a bit frustrated at being kicked out of my very own MS by my very own disgruntled employees on several occasions

Actually that was just the tip of it... the whole idea of forcing me to change the ship was annoying

I'd rather have one unique flying piece of junk and fine tune it into a godly warmachine

Or at the very least, choose when and with what to replace my current MS

But i did say i enjoyed it, so back to the good stuff

Most important thing is that the PC is not so freakin ugly anymore 🙂

The addition of Major Caliber guns is pretty awesome, as are the MS after the transports

I quite liked the story and the 5-6 different paths to the end made me do a happy dance 🙂

The improvements on the skill system are also nice as is the addition of mercs (though their fees and their survivabillity leave something to be desired)

Overall i'd give the game thumbs up and rate it 7.5/10 and hope the upcoming expansion will continue on the path of improvements

Kudos to you for reading this ridiculously long post 🙂

ReplyQuote
CaptainKal
(@captainkal)
Commander Registered

Thanks Cheator. I am still playing the first game.

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)
99 Star General Site Moderator

Looks like there an add on for Star wolves 3 coming in Q4

http://www.1cpublishing.eu/game/star-wo ... y/overview

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Supreme Dark Emperor Admin
Topic starter  

It's supposed to have over 80hrs of game play ... nice. And it looks to be a standalone expansion that doesn't need the original to play but does pickup where the SW3 story ends. I haven't had the time to even play SW3 yet, found it online for 17.99 a few weeks ago.

ReplyQuote
egobrainz
(@egobrainz)
Crewman Registered

i play star wolves 1 n 2.its good game for me except: voice acting,small bug,boring mission part.....its enjoy able.alot off posibilities.

custimize,story,strategy.

control > easy 4 me

graphic > some+ some-

game envariomn>music-ok grapic-not bad

support>hmmm-ok

originalty consept>ok

over all > i enjoy it,dunno bout u people

mod > nothing found

score 7 out of 10

starwolves 3 still order,may next week to taste it.

ReplyQuote
CaptainKal
(@captainkal)
Commander Registered

This Steam offer may be of interest:

http://store.steampowered.com/sub/6431

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Topic starter  

Amazon selling SW3 for $12.50 (Download Only)

Star Wolves 3 - Civil War [Game Download]

ReplyQuote
FStyle
(@fstyle)
Senior Chief Registered

SW3 was great fun, although painfully difficult in some parts (which is good or bad, depending on who you ask 😈 ). I heard a lot of complaints about the first 2 (really buggy, etc) but they seem to have done a really nice job with this one. Played through several times with no issues.

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Topic starter  

Well Star Wolves 3 does have a patch out and some mods after some digging in their forums. I have posted to the download area everything I found that seemed to be in a completed state.

downloads.php?cat=56

FYI the patch fixes the following:

* Mission USS: The bug with the unperformed quests fixed.

* A Chance To Earn A Living fixed: The trap after the encounter with MSF will be eliminated, Alex will return after the elimination.

* Empire's Aides: The departure from the MSF storyline to the Alex’ storyline fixed.

* InoCo Mystery: SAM's ship fixed.

* Artifact of the Precursors: The situation with the pickup of artifacts in the first point of the route fixed, now it is enough to pick up any of the artifacts to initiate the script.

* Additional lock was added to prevent arbitrary visiting of star systems available only according to the storyline.

* The description of the System Firmware Mk 3 fixed.

* Some dead merchant will not talk after his death.

* A new file type was added: FILETYPE MODDING. This file type works with the same data as FILETYPE DYNAMIC, but there is no need to use an encryptor for it. In this way the originally encrypted text will work and modders will receive a convenient and customized means for creating their own dialogues, messages, and other contents for their mods. All of these will work in coordination with the game engine using its rules and will not result in difficulties and errors while creating game mods.

* Multiple misprints and spelling errors fixed.

ReplyQuote
Voiddweller
(@voiddweller)
Crewman Registered

All SW is easy to mod. I managed to convert some DX8 versions of EVE online ships in, mostly fighters and shuttles. Actually SW 3 Civil War was a half-fan made project. It have non-linear campaign and much more gameplay depth than previous games.

ReplyQuote
Pyros
(@pyros)
Master Chief Registered

I have this game on Steam.... I also have to reckon that the tutorial got me so bored that I quit and never got back to the game 😳

Am I missing something interesting?

On a side note, Homeworld was one of the best games I' ever played, not so much for the gameplaying itself, but the ambience, story and quality of storytelling were absolutely brilliant (the music was... phenomenal).

ReplyQuote
Voiddweller
(@voiddweller)
Crewman Registered

Do not compare it with Homeworld, this is absolutely lame comparison. Well first game may have mission-based storyline like HW had, and it may look like HW at first glance, but Star Wolves is more tactical, have some RPG degree and two other sequels gives you some freedom. You can travel almost anywhere you want, do missions, trade ets...

This freedom may be limited sometimes, or even useless and boring, but this game is moddable and 3rd game have really good story, almost like Freelancer had, just play and see. Basically it is like Freelancer with squadron tactics, and homeworld-style controls.

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2