Notifications
Clear all

StarTrek Bridge Crew

Pinback
(@pinback)
99 Star General Site Moderator
Topic starter  

VR StarTrek game  http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/wireStory/star-trek-actors-series-vr-game-spin-39780072 according to the game site theirs a going to be some sort of announcement this week from the PC most useless publisher/developer Ubisoft.

The game is set in Abrams' rendition of the "Trek" universe, where the Aegis is tasked with exploring an uncharted sector of space called The Trench in hopes of finding a suitable new home world for the population of Vulcan, which was obliterated in the 2009 film. The developers replicated the film's sleek visual style for their starship, but they crafted their own precise method of how operating a bridge on a Federation vessel would actually work.
"At first, people might think you're just pushing buttons and that's lame," said David Votypka, senior creative director at Red Storm. "However, it's what the buttons do that makes it cool. You're on a Federation starship firing torpedoes, raising shields and turning on the red alert. That's an awesome sensation, especially when you're playing in VR with friends."
Votypka said the Aegis is about 90 percent similar to the Enterprise, although the developers tilted the bridge stations so players could more easily reach gadgetry and better see fellow crew members in VR. He noted that the game's missions, which will be both story-focused and randomly generated, won't solely focus on blasting Romulans and Klingons out of the sky. "Bridge Crew" players will have to work together during both combat and exploration.
"It's up to you if you want to try the Kirk approach or be more methodical," said Votypka. "The game is more about how you and your crew approach situations. It's not binary. Is it more important to save the Vulcan scientists or rescue everyone on the planet? It might be too difficult to do both. It's just like the show. There's not any one right answer."
"Bridge Crew" is set to launch this fall for Oculus Rift, HTC Vive and PlayStation VR.

LeoCeballos
(@leoceballos)
Petty Officer Registered

If this works... oh Great Bird of the Galaxy let this be good. I don't care if its set in the Abrams-verse. Just let it be good. 

ReplyQuote
ExpandingMan
(@expandingman)
Warrant Officer Registered

I'm a little confused by this.  In what universe does a group of 4 friends all have 600$ or 800$ VR sets along with the $500 video cards needed to use them properly?

I just bought a GTX 1080, and of course the priority was a 1440p 144Hz G-sync monitor, and after spending a boatload of cash on them (infuriatingly, the market for monitors is far from ideal right now), I feel further from purchasing a VR set than ever before.  I suspect a lot of people will be in a similar situation after making the requisite video card upgrade, as the vast majority of monitors out there are still 1080p.

From what I've seen I'm only expecting something very basic from this (which I think is perfectly fine, but of course some people will be expecting something with a commensurate level of complexity to Rogue System, which I agree would be even better).

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)
Topic starter  

Think it will be played over the internet or by people who have very large living rooms, video below shows some of the gameplay but it looks like it will just involve button pushing, weather theirs anything else to the game we will just have to wait and see.

ReplyQuote
LeoCeballos
(@leoceballos)
Petty Officer Registered

I can confirm from other sources this will be playable online, with matchmaking, though I can't imagine it being a great experience to play with randoms. For people who have access to a larger pool of potential fans though (via a guild, say, or forums like this one) I can see some teams forming to play this. 

Also, both Sony and MS have VR-enhanced consoles hotting the market soon, and the barrier to entry in 12 months I think will be considerably lower than it is now; if the game is good, you can expect it to be ported (and perhaps cross-platform compatible) with some of those systems. Eve: Valkyrie, for example, is set to be seamlessly compatible between Oculus, Vive, and PSVR. 

EDIT: Oops, article does say its coming to all three of those already. So yea, there might be a decent install base. You can also have bots; and while I don't think it'd be much fun as single player, it could still be fun with 2 or 3 players and a bot or two doing whatever job the players like the least. 

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Supreme Dark Emperor Admin

Hey I am a Star Trek junkie and I am loving this especially if they will give you the ability to try different ship/bridge types. Would be cool to walk the halls too.

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)
Topic starter  

Article on RPS https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2016/06/30/star-trek-bridge-crew/ about the game.

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)
Topic starter  

Some new gameplay footage.

ReplyQuote