Notifications
Clear all

Sundog request from Wayne Holder

Page 1 / 2

Tarpit
(@tarpit)
Crewman Registered
Topic starter  

This may be old news, but in browsing through some older sites, I saw that Bruce Webster's site incicates that Wayne Holder is looking for input on whether a Sundog remake is viable, and wants feedback. They recognized that the resurrection project was a good attempt, and the current comments look supportive.

http://brucefwebster.com/past-projects/sundog/

I wrote a note and supported it. I'd love to see this game remade for modern day equipment.

-Tarpit

DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Supreme Dark Emperor Admin

I wrote the author an email a few weeks ago when I came across this and never heard anything back. Would definitely be a good thing to see an updated Sundog.

ReplyQuote
yamo
 yamo
(@yamo)
Petty Officer Registered

I liked Sundog. A remake would have to be MUCH bigger and Much deeper. This is a Very old game.

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)
99 Star General Site Moderator

Now this looks interesting

http://www.silvae.net/sundog/index.htm

Now this a project that should have a kickstarter.

ReplyQuote
CaptainKal
(@captainkal)
Commander Registered

Quote:

Very nice. At last a remake!!!

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)

CaptainKal wrote:
Quote:

Very nice. At last a remake!!!

Even better news is that this will be supersede by a new commercial remake by Holder himself 😀 although not so good if it turns out to be an I-phone only one. 🙄

Pics from the game.

screenshot7.png

screenshot6.png

Burgers and drugs anyone.

screenshot5.png

screenshot1.png

ReplyQuote
celticfang
(@celticfang)
Senior Chief Registered

SO want that to happen right now

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)

The alpha testing form now up on the sundog site

http://www.silvae.net/sundog/contact.html

They are looking for people with Android devices and java enabled computers.

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)

Thing seems to moving along as they have updated there site.

http://www.sundogresurrectionproject.com/

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)

Look update.............well it was about six months ago

UPDATE - JANUARY 25, 2014
It would be an understatement to say that we haven't updated this page for a while, so we'll catch you up to speed... 

During the Alpha stage, we made great progress through the assistance of our wonderful Alpha testers. However, some months after we released the Alpha, the project members were simultaneously caught up with the heavy obligations of work and family life and the project's forward momentum fizzled. Not long after we completed making all the changes and improvements suggested by our Alpha testers, we went dormant...again. (Has anyone been keeping count of how many dormant periods SD:R has gone through over the past 12 years?)

Well, about six months ago the project members recommenced work on the project. Many MAJOR updates and bug fixes have been accomplished since then, and the game is far beyond where it was during the Alpha stage.

We have dropped the status to "PRE-ALPHA" simply because of the amount of time that has passed since the last release and the amount of work that has transpired during that period, and we have more work to do before we feel ready to release an Alpha.

Keep an eye on this page for more information and updates. We just updated the screenshots and we will be posting some new screen shots and info as time goes on. We apologize for not keeping up with updates and for going off the radar for a while. The project members are overworked with our various jobs and family matters, but we do our best to keep the fires hot on the SD:R project.

Thanks and we look forward to exploring the Jondd Sector with you in the near future!

Wonder which near future that is.

ReplyQuote
CaptainKal
(@captainkal)
Commander Registered

I 've just received an e-mail from the guys at "Sundog Ressurection". It seems that the game is slowly making progress. The main site is also updated. 

Hi there! 

Thanks for your letter and interest in the project! I'm sorry that we are not quick getting back to people who write in, as we are caught up with real life jobs and family issues and so the Sundog project tends to slip off radar. After a while, someone says "Oh has anyone checked the Sundog email lately?" Then hours of frantic typing follows. 😉 

We are making good (albeit slow) progress on the game and have added some great new features never seen before in Sundog. We are feeling quite proud of where the game is going and Bruce Webster, the creator of the original game and the founder of the Sundog Resurrection project, is excited as well. We will be releasing a beta for testing in the near future -- perhaps the next month or two depending on various factors -- so stay tuned to our website:www.sundogresurrectionproject.com. When a beta is released, we will post instructions on how to get involved there if you want in on that. 

I will check out that SciFi community - thanks for the link. We'll try to update the website more often - I actually just updated it yesterday after MANY months of neglect. 🙂 

Thanks again for your email and again I'm sorry we are quite bad with responding quickly. We hope to see you on Jondd soon! 

-Jake 

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)

Excellent news let's hope it does not take another 4 years for them to release it.

ReplyQuote
CaptainKal
(@captainkal)
Commander Registered

A couple of  updates:

From the main site

UPDATE - AUGUST 19, 2015

Ok, so here is an update: We are currently still squashing bugs but things are looking pretty smooth and stable for the most part. We are adding some improved character animation and new 2D graphics, additional sound effects, and game play features. 

We are also working on documentation for playing the game - when we release the beta, the testers will need to know how the play the game! Also, just like we need feedback on the game, we could use feedback on the documentation as well for accuracy and clarity. Originally I was thinking about doing a series of videos, but I think written documentation is easier to browse through and digest, especially if English is not your primary language. (There MAY or MAY NOT be some test Sundog Resurrection videos on YouTube...)

Currently I'm drafting the documentation in two parts: a "user manual" for the Sundog which is probably what you'd find in the Sundog's glove box (just like your car when you bought it). This user manual will teach the new owner of the starship how to use and maintain the ship's navigation and weapons systems. Meanwhile, there is a "game manual" that is more like your typical game documentation about starting a game, playing, loading/saving, player stats, etc. 

So that's the latest... Stay tuned!

And a small video, about creating your character (let's hope we will see some actual gameplay someday):

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)

Awesome that it still on the go and still a pretty unique game even after 30 odd years although there are a few new games moving in that direction now.

Would love to see a professional remake with the city's being in 3D (as in the GTA / Assassins Creed games) although it unlikely as it would take million to do it.

ReplyQuote
Geraldine
(@geraldine)
Rear Admiral Registered

Maybe once this is completed I can finally put that Atari STe I have to rest, my Amigas get rather annoyed when they catch sight of it!

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)

Maybe once this is completed I can finally put that Atari STe I have to rest, my Amigas get rather annoyed when they catch sight of it!

Don't know much about the ST but I don't thing the game will run on STe I think it will only work on the early versions of the computer with the older OS as well.

I know that the ST emulator needs the an early version of TOS to get the disk image working as the later version of the OS corrupt the graphics.

ReplyQuote
CaptainKal
(@captainkal)
Commander Registered

my Amigas get rather annoyed when they catch sight of it! 

I think there was a utility to boot a real Amiga with Tos!! But I don't know compatibility and such!!

ReplyQuote
Geraldine
(@geraldine)
Rear Admiral Registered

Don't know much about the ST but I don't thing the game will run on STe I think it will only work on the early versions of the computer with the older OS as well.

I know that the ST emulator needs the an early version of TOS to get the disk image working as the later version of the OS corrupt the graphics.

Nope, it runs just fine on the STe. Saying that though my STe runs it's original TOS. I never updated it to a newer version.

I think there was a utility to boot a real Amiga with Tos!! But I don't know compatibility and such!!

Shudders at the thought,...an Amiga...running Atari Tos. Yes likely it could do it but something is just wrong about attempting it.

ReplyQuote
CaptainKal
(@captainkal)
Commander Registered

Even though I do have a Mega STE 2, I will use it with my A1200, just for the fun of it. But I was not talking about Hatari, but about EmuTos. i Think there is also an Amiga Version!!

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)

Didn't know their was an ST emulator for the Amiga and will any of them run Sundog.

ReplyQuote
Geraldine
(@geraldine)
Rear Admiral Registered

I honestly don't know but I do know Steem SSE 3.7.2 runs it using a 1.62 UK TOS if that is any help?

ReplyQuote
CaptainKal
(@captainkal)
Commander Registered

ST emulators for Amiga, are hit and miss (or I cannot configure them correctly). Anyway I recently used the latest version of Hatari. ( http://hatari.tuxfamily.org/ ).

And a new progress update from Jake:

Ha yes that is the YouTube page that I set up to release training videos on. At this time, however, I am not sure how many videos will be "officially" released there, as I am leaning more towards a printed manual which can be edited and expanded easier as well as better for non-English speakers to translate and understand. Also, the game has been upgraded since those videos were taken and so there are some visual changes that make those videos somewhat out of date.

Another quick update: I am currently working on designing the cover art for the game, which is an homage to the original game cover artwork. This is taking some time, as it is a very detailed graphic with lots of elements. Some parts are totally digital creations while other parts (like parts of the cryogen chamber and the entire pirate ship which is shooing at the Sundog) are actually physical models that I built in my fire company's machine shop, posed against a green screen, then photographed and edited. 

I am also re-writing the backstory for Sundog. If you remember the original game manual, there was a prologue that followed Zed as he landed in Drahew and took possession of the Sundog. I've taken that original prologue and expanded it a little, re-writing vast sections to match the current game a bit more and to improve the drama and style.

As for time, I cannot say for certain yet. We are still working on some crucial last minute fixes and improvements. It will be soon though! All major elements of the game are in place, it's fully playable, and we're just tying up some loose ends. I will post something as soon as we finalize plans to release a beta.

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)

Interesting note about the box art always thought it was just a painting, must dig my copy out and have a closer look at it.

ReplyQuote
CaptainKal
(@captainkal)
Commander Registered

The game is close to beta

UPDATE - FEBRUARY 6, 2016:  
  We are on the verge of releasing the BETA! Check our forums (link to the right) for a JOB OPENING for Beta Feedback Manager! 

The lastest version of the game has over 8000 lines of NPC dialogue added, new sounds, new graphics, lots of bug fixes, and some other gameplay improvements. 

And from the forum

OK, hi folks! Time for a quick update!
I just got the latest version, which includes approximately 8,000 new lines of NPC dialogue, new sound effects, database tweaks, lots of bug fixes, and a prototype of a street combat system that was suggested by Bruce Webster. It allows the player the option to either shoot it out with street thugs in the same style as the original, or you can put your character in one of two "auto-pilot" modes - aggressive or defensive, and let the fight unfold.

Also, in other news, you might have noticed that the game's prototype cover art was taken down a few weeks back. While Wayne Holder, the copyright owner of the FTL games, gave Bruce Webster permission to start the Sundog Resurrection Project to remake this game, the California painter who created the original cover artwork, David Darrow, refused to grant us permission to use his original cover as the basis for that recreated cover (or in legal terms, a derivative work). This is his prerogative - he had nothing to do with the Sundog Resurrection project and he does retain the intellectual rights to his artwork, which he fiercely guards. Thus, we will be creating new cover art and for now the game's manual will have a black cover, reminiscent of the censored album cover in the movie Spinal Tap.[/background]"It's like, 'how much more black could this be?' And the answer is 'None. None more black.'"

ReplyQuote
CaptainKal
(@captainkal)
Commander Registered

Another update. The devs are ready to enter the beta phase of development:

UPDATE - March 1, 2016

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2