Notifications
Clear all

Universal Combat??

Shingen
(@shingen)
Master Chief Registered
Topic starter  

Hey, just curious but why isn't there anything on this site about BC3K or Universal Combat?

Both were considered major additions to the space-sim genre, and at least 3 of the version ( BC3K, BCM, & UC ) are available for free downloads.

If you can separate the the game from it's developer, it's really a pretty good space-sim.

DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Supreme Dark Emperor Admin

I had 3000AD games listed in the links area of the site but I haven't got around to writing something up on these games. Haven't played them personally and until now this has been the first comment on them. If I see a lot more interest in them I will gladly create a forum for all the Battlecruiser games. When I get some spare time I will try to add the demos to the site download area.

ReplyQuote
LtBlack
(@ltblack)
Petty Officer Registered

~S~

Played the game and still have it somewhere lol.. Finding a game that keeps the interest going is the problem. Enjoyed the game, but it really needs to be played everyday. If you need a hand in collecting data, let me know.

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)

I will probably need help with a Wiki page for these games when I finally get the time to make one 🙂 So feel free to post any reviews or info on any of the Universal Combat or Battlecruiser games.

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)
99 Star General Site Moderator

Universal Combat is a game I have tryed to play in the past,but never got very far into.

I do intend to have another go at it some time.

Did find this tutorial for it on Youtube for it.

ReplyQuote
CaptainKal
(@captainkal)
Commander Registered

I 've just bought "Universal Combat CE", from Gamersgate. Now I need a couple of months to start playing it. 😀

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)

If you get anywhere with the game let us all know. 😀

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)

That 2.0 version looks pretty good, plus I have always liked the space/fps style games because your not confined to the cockpit the entire time. Been buying to many games lately and need to actually play them now before I should buy more 🙂 But do tell us how you like the game Capt.

ReplyQuote
Stardreamer
(@stardreamer)
Warrant Officer Registered

I'd be happy to add something about these games, wiki info, a review, whatever. I've had experience of both BC Millennium and UC, and actually have the freeware UC installed on my HD right now. I remember in Millennium playing for so long I had nigh-on every upgrade for my Battlecruiser it was possible to have, including the hard to find Artefacts.

I was a GOD. 😎

The danger of adding these games is attracting the man, the legend, the one and only Derek Smart to these boards. I have nothing against the man personally but he does seem to engender strong opinions in his fellow commenters! See any of the posts on RockPaperShotgun about his upcoming games for proof:

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2009/06 ... able-saga/ (The very last comment says it all, lol)

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)

When you said he had new game out.I thought it might be Desktop Commander. 😆 😆

ReplyQuote
Stardreamer
(@stardreamer)

😆

I had to Google that. Very glad I did!

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)

CaptainKal wrote:
I 've just bought "Universal Combat CE", from Gamersgate. Now I need a couple of months to start playing it. 😀

How are you getting on with the game CaptainKal ❓

ReplyQuote
CaptainKal
(@captainkal)
Commander Registered

Quote:
How are you getting on with the game CaptainKal ❓

I still haven't touched it. 😀 Many games to play, and no time at all. 😀

ReplyQuote
 Anonymous

Hey guys,

I am a new member of spacesimcentral. I am a UC series player and I am a member of a little group of players which play Universal Combat Collectors Edition (but also UC, BCMG, in a minor scale) multiplayer sessions using hamachi.

Any player would like engage with us? Contact me for more details... 😉

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)

Welcome CmdrMakinavel

CmdrMakinavel wrote:
play Universal Combat Collectors Edition (but also UC, BCMG, in a minor scale) multiplayer sessions using hamachi.

I have yet to play any of the Universal Combat games yet, but they don't have multiplayer or LAN abilities built it? Why do you have to use Hamachi? Never used Hamachi for gaming is the speed good for gaming through it?

ReplyQuote
 Anonymous

Darkone wrote:
Welcome CmdrMakinavel

Thanks a lot Darkone

Darkone wrote:
I have yet to play any of the Universal Combat games yet, but they don't have multiplayer or LAN abilities built it? Why do you have to use Hamachi? Never used Hamachi for gaming is the speed good for gaming through it?

You are right if you talk about free versions. Battlecruiser and Universal Combat free versions have not multiplayer abilities, but original versions have. We are playing Universal Combat Collectors Edition (UCCE) original version by convinience, that is, all of us (members of the group) have that version.

We are using Hamachi because we can simulate a lan and, in this way, we can play with same copies of the game. UCCE needs different copies to play throuht internet, but the sames copies can be used to play in lan. So, as hamachi simulate a lan, we can play with few diferent copies of the game. However, Universal Combat (UC) has a diferent config from UCCE. So, our solution is fine to UCCE meanwhile.

Hamachi works very well and it is free and easy to use. Of course we use a good machine to be a dedicated server or a high machine to be a fleet server, that is, support a server and play with it in the same time. Connection is important too, but 512 kb is seems be enough.

Our group can help interested players with tutorials, configs and so on. We use msn to chat and exchange tricks, general ideas, schedule MP sessions etc.

Tell me Darkone, are you interested? And about others members? 😉

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)

Thanks for clearing that up for me 🙂

I would have to buy a copy of UCCE for myself to play and then its finding the time, SSC keeps me pretty busy in finding content and updating/tweaking the site. I plan on getting it soon just so I can play with it, think I saw it on Amazon cheap.

ReplyQuote
 Anonymous

Darkone wrote:
Thanks for clearing that up for me 🙂

I would have to buy a copy of UCCE for myself to play and then its finding the time, SSC keeps me pretty busy in finding content and updating/tweaking the site. I plan on getting it soon just so I can play with it, think I saw it on Amazon cheap.

Hey Darkone, check this: http://www.direct2drive.com/5229/produc ... n-Download

It is the best way to get game copy in my opinion. Would be amazing more and more players in our group.

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)

When you buy just the UCCE, are you able to download the 2.0 update for free? I know they released a UCCE 2.0 in May or June and it is enhanced a bit on everything. Just wondering if I should by the 2.0 version instead and would I still be able to play with someone running UCCE 1.0?

ReplyQuote
 Anonymous

Darkone wrote:
When you buy just the UCCE, are you able to download the 2.0 update for free? I know they released a UCCE 2.0 in May or June and it is enhanced a bit on everything. Just wondering if I should by the 2.0 version instead and would I still be able to play with someone running UCCE 1.0?

When a bought my copy D2D gave me all patches. I do not know how it is now, but I suppose that yes, you can get v2. In fact, v2 has not multiplayer option, only visual improviments and ship additional. To play MP you must have the last version, v1.01.04. With it, will be okay. 😉

ReplyQuote
CaptainKal
(@captainkal)
Commander Registered

Quote:
Tell me Darkone, are you interested? And about others members? 😉

Of course we are interested. 😀 Believe it or not I have bought every single game in the series, (excluding the Dreamcatcher version), but I still hadn't had time to really appreciate it 😳 . And with a 90 pages tutoriall, you need a lot of time to invest. Any walkthroughs, tutorials, will be much appreciated. And by the way, welcome aboard. 🙂

ReplyQuote
 Anonymous

CaptainKal wrote:
but I still hadn't had time to really appreciate it 😳 . And with a 90 pages tutoriall, you need a lot of time to invest. Any walkthroughs, tutorials, will be much appreciated. And by the way, welcome aboard. 🙂

Heya CaptainKal,

You are completely right. When a new member enjoin in our group we support him in all relevants points in the game. 😀 This is the group advantage: other fellows do not need spend hours reading manual. However, manual is indispensable.

Fellows and me are recording tutorial videos, collecting other materials to became avaliable here: http://www.skylee.net/universalcombat and our msn group you can find here http://ucbrazil.groups.live.com/

This is, of course, an "under constrution" forum. 🙄

We are opened to new commanders!

ReplyQuote
Stardreamer
(@stardreamer)

Sorry to be the sourpuss in the bunch, but every time I have tried to get into this long running series - 3000AD, millenium, UC - it has led me to some fascinating possibilities...

...but also loads of crashes to desktop. Every iteration I've tried so far suffers from these, and it gets tiring to replay the last hour or so of game because of them. I respect what they've achieved, and have honestly had some enjoyable times with the games, but I installed the free version of UC 3 weeks ago in order to pop a review up on this site and eventually uninstalled it out of sheer frustration.

My reservoir of goodwill for the series has all but run dry. If I do post a review - I'd still like to - I will be praising the bits that work but I can't recommend it wholeheartedly, nor would I consider buying it only to face the same nightmare of fragile performance.

ReplyQuote
 Anonymous

Stardreamer wrote:
it has led me to some fascinating possibilities... but also loads of crashes to desktop. /.../ I respect what they've achieved, and have honestly had some enjoyable times with the games, but I installed the free version of UC 3 weeks ago in order to pop a review up on this site and eventually uninstalled it out of sheer frustration. My reservoir of goodwill for the series has all but run dry. If I do post a review - I'd still like to - I will be praising the bits that work but I can't recommend it wholeheartedly, nor would I consider buying it only to face the same nightmare of fragile performance.

Some friends of mine said something about crashes and saved files corruption. I own had saved files corruption once, but I Iearned get a copy of saved files when a finish something. In other hand, I had no crache problems, neither UCCE nor UC free version. Lucky? Another strange thing related in Universal combat collectors edition and comfirmed by myself is the joystick controls, because manche is horizontely inverted and there is not alternativy to fix it 😳

There is no perfect game. In fact, I guess - and it is just a non professional opnion of mine, but a opinion from passionate player - the serie presents more positive points than the contrary. Of couse, in another way I would not be here writing in a poor english my bulls 😆 , I mean, my singularities about this game.

Yes, there are more players spread by the world that shared Stardreamer opinion than players that shared my opinion. Holy be the human existence, cause any unanimity is stupid. 😛

ReplyQuote