Notifications
Clear all

Why BSG doesn't work

Cruisin1500
(@cruisin1500)
Master Chief Registered
Topic starter  

I watched BSG ( the re-make) many years after it's release. Loved it. I loved the functionality and realistic approach of the ship's design and technology. I figure if space combat ever happened this has to be it. From cool retractable landing pods with the launch tubes directly on the side for quick launch, land, shove em in the tube launch. To cool point defense firing solutions. Just like how naval warfare might be if it happened today. Where the phalanx guns would shoot down incoming missiles or present a wall of impenetrable point defense. Then you have the CIC...no bridge and someone sitting in a chair giving orders....

Anyway I was so keen on the game...but having tried it, I can't get past this single fact. "levels". I don't know how high they go but I've seen level 130 etc...how would they expect new players to get involved and keep the game alive? It's not like there are thousands of new people joining daily and able to find content with one another at that level.

IMO this sole design flaw has caused the games population to stagnate and be what it is and prevents it from being an actually enjoyable game. I am glad Star citizen isn't going the levels or skills route like eve...because that is ALMOST as bad.

Too bad because the tactics of fleet combat in BSG the game is still actually quite fun.

I really wish it would just shut down and a new one get made or a total redesign. Anyone else play it and like it?

Geraldine
(@geraldine)
Rear Admiral Registered

Chris Roberts is keenly aware of this and said many times the only skills in his game are those the players themselves bring to the game. I think the closest thing in Star Citizen to this is reputation, but even that is variable depending on the player's actions in the game. To me at least, this is how it should be. Improved weapons, manoeuvring, jump range ect are decided by what the player adds to their ship via money earned in the game. This is in the grand tradition of the space trading sims of old like Elite and I am happy to see this classic game mechanic return once again.

ReplyQuote
CaptainKal
(@captainkal)
Commander Registered

I figure if space combat ever happened this has to be it. From cool retractable landing pods with the launch tubes directly on the side for quick launch, land, shove em in the tube launch.

Well IMHO, Carriers in space do not make any sense. (Although I also enjoyed BSG).

ReplyQuote
CaptainKal
(@captainkal)
Commander Registered

don´t try a u-turn at 5% C

If I remember my physics class correctly, and If you are not accelerating to 5% C, and just cruising with this speed , you can try a u-turn. Coming from  5% C to zero in a very limited time is prohibited.

ReplyQuote
Hypnotron
(@hypnotron)
Petty Officer Registered

Well IMHO, Carriers in space do not make any sense. (Although I also enjoyed BSG).

I think you're right that Carriers as fighter craft launchers is silly for space, but as giant transports of planet-side vehicles and troops for invasions/assaults/colonization it can make a lot of sense.  Of course great care would be taken to keep the carrier hidden until all was safe. 

ReplyQuote
CaptainKal
(@captainkal)
Commander Registered

but as giant transports of planet-side vehicles and troops for invasions/assaults/colonization it can make a lot of sense.  Of course great care would be taken to keep the carrier hidden until all was safe. 

Yes. But it would make a very tempting target. (And I do not think you can hide in space, for a long time).

ReplyQuote
 Anonymous

Hypnotron wrote:
I think you're right that Carriers as fighter craft launchers is silly for space, but as giant transports of planet-side vehicles and troops for invasions/assaults/colonization it can make a lot of sense.

In order to make proper planetary invasion one doesn't need troop transports but way to communicate: You're down there, we're up here with all those asteroids. Surrender within 1 day or we'll give a nudge to one or two of them.

As shown in B5.
Other good thing there were fighters not launched, but released, not against artificial gravity, but by using it.

ReplyQuote