Notifications
Clear all

Would it turn you off to play a space sim with only 1 axis flying controls?

mynameispaul2
(@mynameispaul2)
Crewman Registered
Topic starter  
Do most people who purchase space sim games prefer to be able to fly their ship in all 360 degree directions? We are currently working on a 3D space game that greatly simplifies things and restricts the user to only rolling left and right (makes it much easier to target and shoot)...would that be a turn off? 

the game is set in a 3D space environment and you can use your mouse to view in all 360 directions but can only move your ship left and right (with rolling animations) so it's kind of like an arcade shooter but from a 3D perspective...half arcade shooter, half 3D space sim.   Think: Eve Valkyrie-style graphics but restricted to only flying your ship 180 degrees east/west.

Do you space sim fans prefer to be able to fly in all 360 directions? I'm afraid that the arcade-style of our game might take away the realism of being able to fly in space... All opinions are appreciated!

voxel
(@voxel)
Petty Officer Registered

My preference is definitely the full freedom of three dimensional movement, but I don't think it's a good idea to force that on the player where it's not appropriate. Space games on a plane can be good too. Drifter is a recent release that does this pretty well.

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)
99 Star General Site Moderator

Sound like you mean a Starfox type of gameplay.

Depends on the game and what else can be done in it, never played that many Shmup be they 3D or 2D.

ReplyQuote
auryx
(@auryx)
Warrant Officer Registered

The space mission sequences in Star Wars: The Old Republic are quite arcade-y, in that you're essentially a "ship on rails" and can only go where the screen takes you. It's still quite enjoyable though.

I think it will depend on what your target market is. If you're aiming to please hardcore space-sim fans, limiting movement will be seen by them as less realistic and they're not likely to want to play. But if you're after a more casual gaming crowd, it will make it easier to control and thus more fun.

auryx

You look good through a crosshair.

ReplyQuote
ExpandingMan
(@expandingman)
Warrant Officer Registered

This would definitely not appeal to me, unless somehow it is compensated for by extremely interesting game mechanics elsewhere (for example, I remain very interested in  To be worth playing, I think the RPG (or other, possibly strategy?) elements of such a game would have to be pretty impressive.

It's odd how "space" games has sort of become a genre since the kickstarter era, but I think one of the appeals of "space" is large numbers of degrees of freedom.  There aren't enough games with the desired 6 degrees of freedom as it is, so it seems a little odd to go in the opposite directions.  

If the idea is to pursue a genre other than a space sim though (RPG, strategy), it might have some appeal.

ReplyQuote