Cruisin1500
(@cruisin1500)
Master Chief Registered
Topic starter  

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/enomi/xeno-galaxies

CaptainKal
(@captainkal)
Commander Registered

It's like "Precursors" with crafing and trading. But I cannot understand if it's a single player or online game.  

ReplyQuote
XenoGalaxies
(@xenogalaxies)
Crewman Registered

Hi ! Thanks for checking my game out 🙂 

I added 2 FAQ entries on the kickstarter : 

Is it single or multiplayer ?

It's a single player dynamic RPG with missions. But there is an in-game system to share construction blueprints with all the other players.

What about the Multiplayer Extended goal ?

If the goal is reached, there will be a multiplayer "party mode" . Cooperative multiplayer to build things with friends and get together on the same ship. This will require the development of special / adapted multiplayer missions and quests

Tell me if it's clear enough ! 

ReplyQuote
Cruisin1500
(@cruisin1500)
Master Chief Registered
Topic starter  

One thing I've noticed is it isn't clear. The video is nice enough, but a lot more explanation is needed, what do you go, how, what other features, like in combat, what combat features, what ground combat features, what gear can you get for the ground, what types of technology can you fit your ship with, more specifics. People don't seem to know much after the video other than its free form, rpgish, trading, combat type of thing. Like will there be missiles, power management, walking inside the ship? The little specifics need to be covered moving forward. Submit the video to rock paper shotgun and all those other people who do indie games. angry joe, total biscuit etc...

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)
99 Star General Site Moderator

I taken a punt on it

Do plenty of updates on it Xeno Galaxies as it your best way to get people interested in the game and if you get a chance to look back here how are you handling the transitions between space and planet or station ect ie will it be seamless or a loading screen?.

ReplyQuote
XenoGalaxies
(@xenogalaxies)
Crewman Registered

- I have some press coverage coming . Working on that full time now.

- Updates will come too - with spotlight on some features like what cruisin1500 talked about ( thanks for your input btw, and power management is an extremely important feature ! ) 

- Transitions to Stations &  ships : seamless.

- Transitions to planets : not completely seamless. There is a switch of camera from space view to ground view when you land( or crash). A bit like Mass Effect, except it's dynamic not a video.

You can see it happen here

it's a pre-alpha prototype :  textures will be better and more important, the synchronisation between the spherical terrain and the FPS detailed terrain will be better, but it shows the system is viable.

Making it really good will take a lot of dev time and alpha testing - So I'm working on the Ships systems and FPS missions before. I won't fall into the trap of making a planet approach engine instead of a game 😉

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)

Nice vid 😎

Any plans for alien animal and plant life in the game.

Give SGJ a shout as they do video pod cast http://www.spacegamejunkie.com/

ReplyQuote
XenoGalaxies
(@xenogalaxies)
Crewman Registered

Got a QA session coming on SGJ very soon 🙂

When I talk in English I sound totally like Chekov in the new Star Trek movies - but I'm not  Russian I'm French !  That's quite funny to hear but for a podcast It may really be hard to follow 🙂  Maybe I ll just use Chekov as my new pseudo and do Podcasts anyway. 

Alien & Animal : Yes.

I did watch the last Riddick 4 times. One of the event happening in the game is crashing on a weird planet and surviving to the weird monsters. In fact that was my first concept, before deciding to go the Elite way.

In addition to all the things inspired by Star wars and Saga of the Seven suns 🙂 

Plant life: I just considered plants as props, part of the scenery. But I saw "The Ruins" ...

Did I mention I'm a proud sci-fi geek ?  

ReplyQuote
XenoGalaxies
(@xenogalaxies)
Crewman Registered

ReplyQuote
Cruisin1500
(@cruisin1500)
Master Chief Registered
Topic starter  

You've got some momentum, keep building, don't forget the other sites I mentioned. Think of filming something cool in game, even if you script it, and putting it in an update.

I see you picked up some good momentum. 🙂

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)

You also on RPS http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2014/06/24/another-mans-sky-xeno-galaxies/

Good question from one of the user on RPS about the lush looking planets but blocky looking ships any plans to change that?.

ReplyQuote
XenoGalaxies
(@xenogalaxies)
Crewman Registered

I really like the RPS article 🙂

This  ship is the smallest you can build with the current blocks, so it's quite bulky.

Also some shapes are missing, and it could be possible to add some smooth rounded ramps. I have to be careful it complexifies the building process.

Anyway, the graphic style can be enhanced over time, I think I need to deliver a full featured alpha before that !

@ Cruisin1500 : I ll reach the youtubers  with a demo in roughly 2 weeks  - that lets me a bit of time to fix some bugs and enhance some things, and it's the standard low tide of kickstarters .

Still " Think of filming something cool in game, even if you script it, and putting it in an update.  " is a good idea. thanks.

ReplyQuote
Cruisin1500
(@cruisin1500)
Master Chief Registered
Topic starter  

Ok your welcome 🙂

when you become the next notch you can send me a gift.

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)

Demo out for the game now

Here comes the first Kickstarter Demo - Dowload it here   http://goo.gl/b0dXC6

• Visit the Mantis Ship and talk to its friendly occupant.
  • Visit the space Station XG01 - annual maintenance of turrets is due - since 5 years.
  • Build Ships or outposts, with active doors and turrets
  • Test your creation in First Person Shooter mode
  • Share the blueprints with your xenogalaxies.com forum account
  • Download - and test in FPS the blueprints made by other players

Spread the news to make this Kickstarter reach its goal !

Twittter

Reddit support thread :  http://redd.it/29qxz2

This is a big update, and more will come - one of the next steps is a Space Flight demo, to make you experience first hand the huge scale Xeno Galaxies.

Enjoy, I cant' wait to see some blueprints and youtube videos !

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)

Short video of the game.

Still two weeks to run but it looks unlikely to hit the goal.

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)

Another short WIP video "bugs".

Bit hard to see what going on in it.

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)

New demo as well

Hi All !

Demo #2 is ready, grab it here  http://goo.gl/fxUMrj

fee75bc74d6a6487c95a2450bc67904a_large.p

It's the full pre-alpha experience as of today - there is a lot more to do to reach full alpha. Getting funded would help a lot, to stay full time on it and hire some help! 

Space flight:

84f2639f8fc49f763e7d90c29ffde721_large.p

Manual and auto piloting to see various planets and ships - this one is more a tech demo showing the scale of space in the game.You can pilot freely or jump from place to place by pressing numeric keys on the keyboard. Press Escape for the menu, it shows the key bindings.

No landing yet, it needs weeks of work to be good, and Z will make you instantly go backwards (useful for taking videos) - This is not the real flight controls of the game, it will stay arcade-ish but not as much ! 

Planet surface:

834b48db79b59ad7df706504729295a1_large.p

This is the best part, you leave your outpost to enter a cave full of arachnids, for some old school FPS. gun #1 is your standard pea shooter - infinite ammo in the demo, and gun #2 directs your miner nanites to destroy the terrain (it won't be the same gun  in the alpha ! ). You can see it happen here  

but the demo has better lighting and more fun, arachnids of various sizes, death effect spilling acid that makes holes in the ground... 

And the content from the previous demo is still there.

Aboard the mantis ship:

c41cd5207144da4cbf3f3d9f265b3ad6_large.p

You're aboard a big ship and you encounter a space mutant ( press F on switches to open the doors - and press F again if the AI decides to stop walking). Bullets exchanges will destroy the level ! And yes, I'm dying in the screenshot 🙂

Space Station:

3b85206097812cf2dffd5b18d5aa9f70_large.p

One more FPS scene, inside a station with a force field and few ships parked. Go near the turrets and they will start to shoot you - exploding all the crates in their way. Try to make turrets explode like in the picture!

Blueprint designer:

15ed04ae934abb73e0708b84fb9c2529_large.p

In-game tool to build and share blueprints. It's not very sexy for youtube streams ( building things take more than 2 minutes :p ) but you can load blueprints made by other players and visit them in FPS mode at will.

9465fa84b148f38ffcd7b98e3d07cbc2_large.p

Now the plan is to get this demo in the hands of youtubers.

Enjoy, there will be more demos of new gameplay, but these ones will be for Friends Only - all Backers are friends of course 😉 

PS : Mac and Linux builds will be uploaded in the next hours, links will be in comments.

ReplyQuote
CaptainKal
(@captainkal)
Commander Registered

I liked what I saw. You have a new backer!!!! 

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)

Commiserations to XenoGalaxies as they failed to hit their target but the good news is they will continue.

The way Kickstarter works, no one pays anything and I don't get anything when the goal is not reached.

But anyway, instead of letting it end I decided to cancel it 2 hours before - for one simple reason : If I ever do another campaign, this one will not appear in the search results. The project pages are still available, all the links in articles or twitter still work, it's just Kickstarter search results that don't show cancelled projects.

I now want to develop the alpha and sell it as early access. But later I may do a Kickstarter for funding more features, like multiplayer, underwater content, exclusive character design of alien races ...  I don't want this one to confuse people searching on kickstarter if I ever do that.

And (once again) if you can vote and make your friends vote on Steam Greenlight, that would be very nice  http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=240423668

( The game will be available directly on the web site, for those who do not like Steam) 

Thanks for your support!

ReplyQuote