Notifications
Clear all

some comments about the forum

tsmspace
(@tsmspace)
Senior Chief Registered
Topic starter  

I like the forum, and there's a ton of content, but it's pretty hard to use this forum.

I know that at one point in time forum skills were a little more expected, but in todays superduper easy forums, I'm so accustomed to the notifications and easier return to old conversations, it makes this forum feel overwhelming when I enter it. I don't know where to begin.

I DO spend time on LTT forum sometimes, which is of course very well staffed by a surprisingly dedicated upstart company,,, but anyway i couldn't help but wishing LTT forums hosted this forum as well. It's so much easier to reply, and see whos replied, and be timely with replies....

Have you ever considered trying to source the forum with such a group?? You know, I have the same problem with normal science forums. They are ok, and can work, and if you really need it , it's there, but they are not easy to use mostly. I think this significantly reduces traffic,,, and honestly this forum should have WAY MORE traffic,,, it's a very good forum.

DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Supreme Dark Emperor Admin

Thanks tsmspace on the feedback.

Oh LTT using Invision Pro Boards. I did have SSC on this for a few years, it just go too expensive for me to keep using it because they charge for the software and you have to pay maintenance quarterly as well to get fixes/patches/updates. With SSC being totally free and not selling anything I depend on generous people to donate and sometimes I get some ad revenue.

With SSC not really making any money I have to stick to cheaper software/hosting.

I have been thinking about this a lot lately personally because I don't really like WP/BBpress performance.

I really like Discourse but hosting could be a an issue since that uses Ruby and could possibly be a maintenance issue for me. And I thought about just going back to old reliable PHPBB which is what SSC started oh back in 2008.

Maybe I will have time to investigate something new just because BBPress has been SO SLOW at getting their v2.6 released its been 3yrs grrr in RC. Plus GoDaddy hosting hasn't been the best in my opinion. No one has complained of slowness but I notice slowness even though everything is current with PHP/MSSQL.

Usually SSC's issue is with file space, the file library is over 100GB this is where hosting become expensive for me and limits where I can go and what services are available. Getting VPS or dedicated server is just expensive without income so I have to use shared most times. I thought about creating my own server at home, but then if my internet goes down or I get a power outage then SSC is going down until its back up πŸ™‚

I will look into some options over the next few months and talk it over with Pinback. The community here, the old timers have stuck it out with me through many server migrations and horrible spammers, so I try to limit moves when I can. Have to admit last one went pretty smooth (minus the password resets)

But I always like recommendations because I would love SSC to become more popular. Thought about doing some youtube videos but I guess I am still a little shy haha. But in a way SSC is very personal and I have known a few people here over 10yrs and everyone is very respectful πŸ™‚

But I would have to say Invision or Vbulletin are not an option because of the maintenance/price.

But I have noticed that BBPress admin tools kinda suck, and phpbb was a lot better last time I had it.

We shall see maybe I will install a server on my PC and do some testing of the conversion tool and see the options.

ReplyQuote
tsmspace
(@tsmspace)
Senior Chief Registered
Topic starter  

it's mostly that getting used to something new is hard, and some things all look the same, making it easy to use them all.

it takes a long time to play space sims anyway, so there's time to get used to things,

anyway thanks for the forum. it's nice. it's just a little overwhelming to sift through at first.

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)

πŸ™‚ There is a lot of information here and you will find many games that never came to be.

I am always looking into making SSC better so I appreciate any feedback.

Mods are sometimes an issue with Wordpress/BBpress because if the mod authors don't keep them updated as WP/BBpress advance you either get broken functionality or loss of functionality because of missing support.

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)

Just a heads up, I am looking at https://wpforo.com/ and asking Pinback for some feedback to see what he thinks. But this is a nice plugin that I can see so far and does a lot of things right, bbpress development has slowed considerably and it is hurting usability so you are correct tsmspace, and again thanks for the feedback.

ReplyQuote
tsmspace
(@tsmspace)
Senior Chief Registered
Topic starter  

well, I appreciate the support!

it's hard to offer that kind of feedback without worrying about being offensive.

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)

Hahaha, yes there is too much political correctness and sensitivity on Earth today. That's why we live on a space station πŸ˜‰ Where we can be us, you can speak freely here, enjoy.

ReplyQuote
D.C.Elington
(@d-c-elington)
Warrant Officer Registered

That’s why we live on a space station

Yes thanks for this D1! πŸ™‚

ReplyQuote