Notifications
Clear all

[Sticky] SpaceSimCentral Maintenance Area

Page 10 / 11

DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Supreme Dark Emperor Admin
Topic starter  

Hmm I sent something to the @wanadoo.fr address on 4/15 🙂 but since your logged in and using your account everything worked so no biggie.

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Topic starter  

Thanks Geraldine.... I just need more time on my hands to create content 🙂

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Topic starter  

Playing around with themes and colors on a new template. I will be working on this for the next few days so excuse the mess I am working on it, all of the site features should still be working.

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Topic starter  

The majority of my theme maintenance is done, so thank you for your patience while I was changing everything. Wordpress doesn't have a workbench style mode where I can work on themes without enabling them. So I tried to work as fast as I could. I will still be tweaking through this week and upcoming weekend.

If you see some glaring issues with colors or the style do let me know where the issue is so I can look into fixing it. I tried to keep the colors and styling to the look and feel of my old setup the best I could. My next project is to work on the download section/plugin to see what is wrong with the performance and why I have to create direct downloads for it to work properly without timing out.... I thought I setup everything right on the server but big files do stall after a while which is frustrating and I may have to do a call with the host to see what is going on.

Then I promise I will game my game listing done I been slacking on that for what like a 1.5yrs 🙁

ReplyQuote
Blah64
(@blah64)
Senior Chief Registered

The new fonts are way harder for me to read =(

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Topic starter  

Any thoughts on scifi-ish fonts that look good? I will try to find some other fonts that is easier to read but still have a scifi-ish theme to theme

ReplyQuote
solnicaris
(@solnicaris)
Crewman Registered

I think there is issues with editing a post you have recently posted.

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Topic starter  

I think there is issues with editing a post you have recently posted.

This should be fixed now, for some reason the default of '0' minutes to edit a post is meant to mean unlimited. For some reason it is shutting off edit. So I set it to 10080min which is a week.

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)
99 Star General Site Moderator

Any chance of going back to a black background with white letters?.

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Topic starter  

I can try that and see what people think. I will try to make this change this weekend, to see what people think. I can also alternate the color backgrounds like on the forum mainpage if that is better looking too, or should I leave it all black?

--

Update: Change made, let me know if anyone sees some glaring issues 🙂
Update: I will try to play with the font a little this weekend as well if I can find the time and see how people like the change I have a few I picked out and I will try one for a few days and see if people complain about it and hopefully I have found one that is easy to read but also scifi themed at the same time.

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)

Nice one D1, think it gives the forum a lot more clarity.

The text looks okay to me but let see if anyone else has any suggestions.

One thing I think members would like would be the ability to edit and delete their posts, if it's already available then maybe a sticky thread on how to do it.

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Topic starter  

Edit should be taken care of now, members have the ability to edit there posts up to a week after they make them. I may increase that to like several months or to a year.

Delete, I will look into. That would be a mod since bbpress user roles don't have this option by default.

Right now the text color is just plain white, I might tone it down to a softer color of white so its easier on the eyes.

ReplyQuote
Cody
 Cody
(@cody)
Captain Registered

White on black is much better! And I get this in the Oolite Screenshots thread:

This post is awaiting moderation.

Oolite Naval Attaché

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Topic starter  

That post is fixed cody, think the system was preventing the link because of the website domain '.cc' not exactly sure, sometimes I don't get these emails for approval but when I login to the site I do see notes and I take care of them soon as I get in.

Thanks Cody, yeah I will keep the black background with like a off white color for text. The only thing I will play around with is the font. I am trying to get the text to have a nice scifi feel but also be readable.

ReplyQuote
Cody
 Cody
(@cody)
Captain Registered

Thanks, D1.

I am trying to get the text to have a nice scifi feel but also be readable.

Tricky one! There was sci-fi novel I really wanted to read, but the font used in that particular edition was too sci-fi, making it hard to read. So hard, I gave up.

Oolite Naval Attaché

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Topic starter  

Just a heads up, I will more than likely be updated Wordpress this weekend to the latest version. I just have to make sure that the mods I have installed will work with the latest version to see what could be the problem areas. I will be backing up the database and I will probably lock the site for like 10-30mins during the upgrade to prevent data loss.

So if SSC is unavailable that is probably the reason why and it will be back online shortly.

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Topic starter  

Upgraded site software this weekend to the latest builds, so I hope there wasn't any big disruptions and that everything is still working 🙂 please let me know if you come across any errors, thanks.

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Topic starter  

Hmm, I just noticed that the subforum listing on the main forum page doesn't seem to show like they did before, that is a bug and not sure if that was a upgrade issue or the fact that the plugin that does that work hasn't been validated against the latest versions of WP/BBpress. I do know about this, but nothing is broken all of the forums still exist you just have to navigate into the parent forum to see them. I will try to investigate more this weekend, but I think the plugin author may need to upgrade their work for it to be fixed.

Sorry for the small hiccup there, I think everything else is working from what I can see.

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)

Looks like the percent key not showing properly or is it just my screen res.

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Topic starter  

I might just take notes on all of the settings for that plugin that styles the forums and uninstall it and style it all over again. Cause something definitely got messed up there, Its not major but just an annoyance. I believe I was using a font that I don't think is in effect anymore. So I just have to investigate it all and print out all of the config pages so I know all of the color codes and stuff like that.

I will try to improve upon all this during this week.

So if the forums seemed messed up from a styling standpoint I am working on it 🙂

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Topic starter  

Making updates to the forum area trying to fix issues. I should have it fixed today (fingers-crossed)

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Topic starter  

Only doing fine tweaking of the forums now, I am still trying to figure out why the sub-forum listing isn't showing because this uses a mod. I will research on how to do this manually if I need too.

Still doing minor tweaks to colors/fonts and sizes. But overall it looks the same and a bit easier on the eyes.

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Topic starter  

Doing some small tweaks on the site today, I will be re-ordering the forums (forum_ids) so if there is a small issue with getting to a forum that should be remedied when I am finished, should take like 1-2hrs.

I think the upgrade to the latest version messed with some things and I noticed the forum_ids were affected so I am going to redo them.

Pinback, I did see your comments on the pagenation of the replies (page numbers not being seen so it just shows them all on one page), I definitely know about this and trying to figure out how to fix that and the subforms list on the main forum page listing.

I doubt this is mods doing this, this is either a WP/BBPress issue and we may need to deal with this until 2.6 is officially released for bbpress, right now I am using RC7 which is I think the final release before official.... I have to dig into the code and look around and see what I can tweak.

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Topic starter  

Found the pagenation issue on the replies page, there is a setting to have replies to a specific post to be nested underneath it. Its a cool piece of functionality but its still a little broken and removes page numbers. So I disabled it and you will just need to quote people 🙂

Still working on the issue of the subforums not being listed on main forum page. The code shows that it should be listing, so its probably a setting conflict or a mod causing the issue... or it could be a bug because in was working in RC5 just not RC7

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Topic starter  

Performing some housekeeping with the forums and will restructure a little to hopefully make it more easy to navigate. There should be no downtime at all and I will be working on this a little today.

ReplyQuote
Page 10 / 11