Master Chief Registered

Not sure if this has to do with the latest downtimes of this page:

http://nakedsecurity.sophos.com/2012/11/23/hacked-go-daddy-ransomware/

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Supreme Dark Emperor Admin
Topic starter  

I found some more issues in the apache logs and I forwarded to the IP.Board folks because it does point to the nexus app. Which besides the store stuff it does provide security and it might be messed up. I have noticed that when I re-upload the app files (fresh) the site works again. So something must be altering the state of a file in there but there is over 1000+ files that get uploaded and I don't have the time to sift through them all. I think I am getting closer because I fixed a php issue with the server and now a new error appears but it points back into this software and is no longer a server issue... i hope.

I am sorry for all this download time in the wee hours of the night. Its just very strange that it does happen at night, almost like there is some sort of schedule some where that kicks in and then site goes down.

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Topic starter  

Updated SSC to the next major version of IP Board last night and there was a hiccup with the index page, that I had to remove it and put up something simple right now until I solve the issue. Everything else on the site should be working, please let me know if you spot something that doesn't look right. Because I also updated the theme to the latest version and just want to make sure its working fine. I am going through pages but i'm getting old and I am tired so I might miss things.

I created another forum area for defunct games and I was planning on creating a Star Citizen and Elite areas, and maybe a little hangout area for the gold members to speak freely. And ideas please do step forward, always trying to integrate ideas from the members.

Sorry for the issues the past two weeks. It is some what my fault on some of it since I didn't apply a security patch in a timely manor and someone was actually exploiting the flaw. Got to love people like that. That's why all the recent upgrades. GoDaddy has also not been the best at solving my problems, there was some php.ini entries that I needed to tweak and I found this out on my own without GoDaddy's help, um there support is absolutely worthless btw.

So please bare with me, I will stop the tinkering soon once I get things right.

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)
99 Star General Site Moderator

Quotes are not working D1.

I would leave the Elite threads where they are until the kickstar has finished in January then move them.

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Topic starter  

ok, looking into it.

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Topic starter  

I would leave the Elite threads where they are until the kickstar has finished in January then move them.

Testing quotes

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Topic starter  

Quoting is working now.

Re-installing the skin seems to have fixed this issue.

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Topic starter  

Did some testing and hopefully fixed some of the performance issues, still refining the homepage (work on it tomorrow). But the theme stuff should be complete and somewhat error free. Please if you see anything wrong let me know.

ReplyQuote
Pyros
(@pyros)
Master Chief Registered

sscadmin wrote:
Did some testing and hopefully fixed some of the performance issues, still refining the homepage (work on it tomorrow). But the theme stuff should be complete and somewhat error free. Please if you see anything wrong let me know.

Quotes now work! /cheers

Ahem, as you didn't ask for posting what works (that would be huge posts), here is something of a puzzle: when I create a new post, all my paragraphs disappear (text comes all mashed up together - you may have noticed). When I edit my post, it is fine in the editing window - the text kept its original formatting. If I put a double line between paragraphs it shows correctly. All this on an iPad (ok, I'm traveling and it is handy to surf the web).

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Topic starter  

Hmm, interesting. So if I get this right, if you create a large post (have an example post, or something you can put into a txt file and attach so I can play around with test posts?) it will sometimes put all paragraphs together and ignore formatting. But when editing the post it will show the formatting is correct. So almost like the WYSIWYG editor is not entirely working properly. 

I have noticed that in the past that the editor is sensitive to what people may be copy/pasting into a post. I have copied text from another site to quote or re-post and it kept the formatting from the other site (which I didn't want) and I had to re-copy it in as plain text (without formatting). But if you are writing your posts from scratch I would be interested to have an example, because I have yet to run into this when hand writing posts.

ReplyQuote
Pyros
(@pyros)
Master Chief Registered

Ok, lets try it:

This is the line after the first paragraph, with one empty line between both phrases.

This is the third line of the text. There is one empty line before it. All empty lines are created with the return / enter key. All the text is hand typed in the editing window - no dirty tricks like copy/paste, something that should never have been put in any OS, specially mobile OS (... Followed by a ton of equally stupid statements...)

This is forth and final line of text. As before, one empty line between it and the previous.

ReplyQuote
Pyros
(@pyros)
Master Chief Registered

My previous was like this:

"Ok, lets try it:

This is the line after the first paragraph, with one empty line between both phrases.

This is the third line of the text. There is one empty line before it. All empty lines are created with the return / enter key. All the text is hand typed in the editing window - no dirty tricks like copy/paste, something that should never have been put in any OS, specially mobile OS (... Followed by a ton of equally stupid statements...)

This is forth and final line of text. As before, one empty line between it and the previous."

The previous post was typed in a IOS 5.1 iPad2 Safari browser (including the "forth" typo). This post was created in Firefox (PC :)).

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Topic starter  

Pyros, I have no means to test mobile devices yet. I do have a mobile skin (both default IP Board and this theme mobile skin) installed and i do have tapatalk installed. Do you use these at all or only the safari browser? And does the Ipad have another browser you could try like Chrome? Firefox?

Does anyone else use a tablet or mobile device that has this issue? I also might break this post off Pyros because I think this might need more attention as well, just because I have no way to test this currently. I depend on the members to let me know if something is messed up when it comes to mobile devices. I hope to buy a Android tablet next year sometime.

ReplyQuote
Pyros
(@pyros)
Master Chief Registered

Only used Safari browser, although have other installed (Dolphin).

I don't use the iPad for participate in foruns on a day to day basis - only when travelling, otherwise is basically for browsing. As my vacations just ended :(, back to the good old PC. But you probably know if the site audience significantly uses mobile devices (I also use an android smaprtphone for browsing).

Also - specially if no one else is affected - it seems to me more of a curiosity than a significant problem, as it can be easilly bypassed by inserting one extra line at the first empty line (two intead of one) when posting.

ReplyQuote
True
 True
(@true)
Master Chief Registered

I usually don't use my tablets for browsing but I can give it a try this weekend. I also have Dolphin, Chrome & Firefox installed on them.

quite a lot of lcd displays I have by now...

4.5" phone, 7" tablet, 10" tablet, 22" pc, 27" pc & 44" tv

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Topic starter  

Did some cleaning up in the DirectDL area this morning so people have a better understanding in what they are downloading.

ReplyQuote
Geraldine
(@geraldine)
Rear Admiral Registered

Darkone, goodness knows how much time you spend on this site fixing things and improving it, but I just wanted to say thank you for all your hard work. People can be very demanding at times and forget that people like yourself work really hard to provide a platform for our favourite game genre. I just felt that had to be said.

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Topic starter  

Thanks Geraldine, I feel like I don't give enough time most days. So much work too little time with family and work 🙂 I have huge stacks of games in my Gamersgate and Steam accounts that I haven't even played yet. I'm just trying to get caught up personally, I have the huge task of getting the game listing into a database and then getting it on to the site. Then there is the download area, would be nice to start adding a thumbnail screenshot and descriptions to the files slowly, with there being over 1000 files it will take some time... I have enough work for quite some time. And hopefully I can get it all done by the time Star Citizen is out.

I don't say thanks enough to the community itself for helping out, I remember when I had to do most of the new game, news and mod postings and now the community does the majority of that. So now I can concentrate on the improvements. Trying to get the site to a state where it makes enough yearly income to move it to a private server, thats my goal and I hope to do this next year sometime. We'll see, SSC gets about 2-5 new users almost every day so its growing. 

Look at me getting off topic...

Task I will be doing today is hopefully getting the mainpage done.

ReplyQuote
DiabloTigerSix
(@diablotigersix)
Master Chief Registered

Just an idea:

Maybe you could consider running a dedicated RP server for Star Citizen and make the SC forum section similar to this and this in order to attract Discovery FL people. Unless the Discovery community switch to SC and do it themselves.

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Topic starter  

If I can get up the funds to have a dedicated SC server I will make one and most definitely would have its own forum area and I would promote it throughout the site. Without knowing the impact of the server side software and what resources it would need I cannot say that I could just piggy-back it on the VPS server I will eventually get. Once I can get some of those questions answered I will be able to see if we can get to that goal.

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)

We seem to have a few links which have stopped working, was just wondering if it has any thing to with the last update.

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Topic starter  

in recent posts or older ones? I know IP.Board folks have integrated SEO into the links now so that may impact some older links... I think.

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)

Those links with the extra bbcode statements, this one from the OP looks like another example of it. Will keep an eye out for any other. 

http://spacesimcentral.com/forum/topic/3141-elitedangerous-novel-and-here-the-wheel/#entry33964

Still having problems with the quotes D1.

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Topic starter  

Still having problems with the quotes D1.

Are you talking about not seeing the quote function when you click the icon? I don't see the quoting feature do anything most times, you see it magically skip a line and you know its trying to do something. What I usually do is click that 'lightswitch' button and turn off the posting gui and it shows the raw bbcode and I put the text between the tags if I did it wrong. Is that what your talking about? I can look into this because it bothers me as well, I think it might be a skin issue?? I have to investigate.

Did some upgrades to fix some issues that caused the crash earlier in the week, so hopefully it won't happen again. Updated the skin to latest version.

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)

Hitting quotes on the post gives this, this work ok.

qoutes2.jpg

ReplyQuote
Page 6 / 11